Chats

Default First Aid Kit Refurbish

I have been wanting an old metal military first aid box for a while to build a kit to keep in the jeep. Well, for Christmas my brother got me an old Bell Systems unit, not perfect but still cool. Over its life someone seems to have given it a coat of black over the original OD green and gold lettering. So, I am looking for a solution to removing the black without harming the base paint. Going for the aged, used look so I especially want the lettering to stay. Any ideas?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PC260060.JPG 
Views:	4 
Size:	2.84 MB 
ID:	6820

Chats

Default Re: First Aid Kit Refurbish

I'm trying to think if they are powder coated (if not an old school version) or not originally... if so, I wonder if you might not be able to try some lacquer thinner on an inconspicuous spot first and see if it'll remove the black paint covering with just a little bit of light scrubbing.. would think if you get the stuff that evaporates pretty quickly and work a little bit at a time, might even be able to clean off the vinyl decals as well..
    FORMER GREEN XJ CLUB MEMBER
    IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM!!
    DOING SOMETHING JUST BECAUSE YOUR BUDDY DOES IT THAT WAY MAKES AS MUCH SENSE AS SHARING TOOTHBRUSHES

Chats

Might depend on the vintage. On my Mighty Mite, I tried paint remover on it and found that it wouldn't touch the military paint
    230 hp 4.3L Chevy
    Built 4L60E with manual lockout
    Atlas 4 speed
    Griffin radiator
    On board air
    Warn 9.5ti on custom bumper
    7.5" RE front and bastard pack rear on custom long arms
    30 gal gas tank
    lockers
    And a bunch of other stuff

Chats

Quote Originally Posted by bluedragon436 View Post
    I'm trying to think if they are powder coated (if not an old school version) or not originally... if so, I wonder if you might not be able to try some lacquer thinner on an inconspicuous spot first and see if it'll remove the black paint covering with just a little bit of light scrubbing.. would think if you get the stuff that evaporates pretty quickly and work a little bit at a time, might even be able to clean off the vinyl decals as well..
    I have no idea if its powder coat, enamel, acrylic. I did think about wet sanding it because I know it would allow me to remove small amounts at a time, but I think it would scar the base color and lettering. I may pick up some thinner though to give it a shot.

Chats

Quote Originally Posted by 4.3LXJ View Post
    Might depend on the vintage. On my Mighty Mite, I tried paint remover on it and found that it wouldn't touch the military paint
    Hmm, this gives me hope for the thinner method.

Chats

The Vietnam era military paint uses acetone as a thinner. So if it is this era, thinner will not harm it.
    230 hp 4.3L Chevy
    Built 4L60E with manual lockout
    Atlas 4 speed
    Griffin radiator
    On board air
    Warn 9.5ti on custom bumper
    7.5" RE front and bastard pack rear on custom long arms
    30 gal gas tank
    lockers
    And a bunch of other stuff

Chats

Do a tester area maybe on the bottom, but maybe water it down a bit if it starts stripping the original?

Chats

Quote Originally Posted by 4.3LXJ View Post
    The Vietnam era military paint uses acetone as a thinner. So if it is this era, thinner will not harm it.
    As far as I can tell it is from that time. I've found these listed as 50s-60s and i'm thinking its an earlier model since some look to have a decal for the lettering versus individual ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Brasscatz View Post
    Do a tester area maybe on the bottom, but maybe water it down a bit if it starts stripping the original?
    Oh yeah, its like that on the bottom so i'll do that for sure. Watering it down a bit is probably a good idea. Especially till I find out how "affective" its going to be.