Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Manch

Chats

Default Re: The Manch

I would just use Felpro for the gaskets. Easy to come by and will do the job. For the valve cover i chose to get the re-usable rubber/metal reinforced option. Its a bit more money but suppose to be great. Haven't put it on yet though.

On the steering box i would definitely check the tightness. You don't want it moving, it put stress on the frame and that area is known to crack.

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.
    Last edited by XJ Wheeler; 02-02-2015 at 11:42 AM.

Chats

Quote Originally Posted by 4.3LXJ View Post
    Just a suggestion on this Zach. It looks like someone has redone that track bar mount. Normally they go under the coil at the same height as the tie rod end. If you leave it there I would suggest more beef in that mount. They can take some tremendous forces off road. I have ripped my lower mount off and had to replace the upper mount because it was toast. If you loose either mount, it is no fun
    Yep, that's skyjackers method.

Chats

I actually ordered gaskets and seals last night. I ordered all Fel-Pro. New real main seal. New valve cover gasket. New one piece oil pan gasket and new intake/ exhaust gasket.
    There was a new head gasket that came with the Manch too. Not sure if I'll do that right now though.
    -Zach

Chats

Ooooo! Look what I found.....

-Zach

Chats

So last week I called a guy up and asked about his 650 dollar XJ. There was no picture in the ad or and more info other than price and that it was a 1990 Jeep Cherokee. He said it was complete, had ran last summer, will crank, has a clean title, and he wants 450.....So my cousin, a good friend, and myself gathered our things and drug the flatbed over to his house cash in hand. It was pretty late, around 9:30 pm or so.

We were not dissapointed....

A few Specs about the Jeep:
    1990 Jeep Cherokee Limited
    Renix 4.0l
    Aw4 4 speed auto
    np242 Transfercase
    Non CAD dana 30 front
    Dana 35 Rear.
    Not 100% sure on the gear ratio. My bet is 3.55

So while still at the guy's house we got some jumper cables out because the Jeep didn't have a battery. And as the guy said it did crank. There were a few problems that were immediately apparent.

The Fuel pressure regulator has some tiny pinholes in it and sprays the smallest stream out everywhere.

Not sure if just the reg. can be replaced, but the whole rail might be just as bad.

The main thing that I was concerned with was that the Jeep was complete, which it is.

I purchased the Jeep for parts for the Manch. The front fenders and grill are unmolested and not broken. It also has Bucket seats and a center console. I was going to use the doors as well but they are in worse shape than the ones that are already on the Manch. There are other parts that I will be scavenging off it as well. Another great thing is that the wirng and vacuum system isn't hacked up like the Manch's so I can reference it to make fixes and corrections to the Manch.

My cousin has a WJ as his daily driver, but wanted something to play around in and do crazy projects to. So I will swap the better parts off the the Cherokee to put on the Manch. Then he'll buy it off me and I'll have some cash for some late model XJ doors that are down at a salvage yard in town.

Anywho I'll get some pictures and post them up.

Thanks for reading and commenting.
    -Zach

Chats

Nice deal! Works for everyone so even better.

Chats

Sounds like a good find for a parts rig
    230 hp 4.3L Chevy
    Built 4L60E with manual lockout
    Atlas 4 speed
    Griffin radiator
    On board air
    Warn 9.5ti on custom bumper
    7.5" RE front and bastard pack rear on custom long arms
    30 gal gas tank
    lockers
    And a bunch of other stuff

Chats

Awesome strip and flip...

Chats

I took some pictures of the Popsicle. We have decided to name it that.

The body is quite straight. There are a few dents and dings here and there but nothing that a coat of paint and some elbow grease couldn't fix.

The rear passenger corner had been hit. Hence the broke taillight. Rear hatch is good though.

Other side

Dash was pulled to replace the ignition barrel. Seats are a bit rough but I have new foam for them. Also they'll get some Coverking balistic covers.

Yes...That is the head liner... There was a yard stick that was jammed above the trim to keep the roof liner off the drivers dome.

And the engine bay is all put together and unmolested....

Anywho Enjoy....The Popsicle
    -Zach

Chats

In the last couple days I've got some good progress done on the Manch. I ended up removing the front fenders grill and A/C system. I'm trying to get it ready to take the parts off the Popsicle. I wont be adding A/C back however. I would rather have on-board air. I sorta skimped on pictures this time...It was late and I filmed the whole thing on the GoPro. I'll try my hand at editing and see what it looks like...

And so it begins....
    The grill and driver side fender are off a '89 XJ that the previous owner got the engine out of. The Passenger fender is factory and has been trimmed.

I decided to start on the passenger side.
    There are 4 torx bolts along the top of the fender where the hood sits. There are two bolts on the bottom of the fender where it mounts to the rocker, two between the fender and unitbody that you access from behind the door, and there are two nuts that hold the grill to the fender. There is also a hanger in the wheel well that is supposed to help keep the fender from flopping around. Both of mine were pre-unattached from the fenders.

So after I took out all the bolts and loosened the nut the fender came right off. I tried to remove the antenna but it was just spinning in the fender. I got it out after the fender was off the Manch.

And off...

Then repeat....

Now for the grill, I'm not exactly sure what all has to be done to remove it if your Jeep is still intact. Mine however came right off after the fenders were removed. It looks like there should be about 4 or 5 bolts along the top that hold it down to the cross piece that encases the radiator. There might also be some more along the bottom but like I said on mine it was already loose/broken... Also you have to unhook the lighting harness.

I will post up about the A/C delete later.
    -Zach

Chats

I know how much fun it is to take the header panel and fenders off.. especially when there are stubborn fasteners to deal with.. Looks like it is coming along Zach... and don't worry, I plan on doing the AC delete to my XJ after I get all the parts I have collected up for it installed.. so look forward to seeing how you do your OBA setup, as I've been looking at others both on here as well as other setups I can find online..
    FORMER GREEN XJ CLUB MEMBER
    IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM!!
    DOING SOMETHING JUST BECAUSE YOUR BUDDY DOES IT THAT WAY MAKES AS MUCH SENSE AS SHARING TOOTHBRUSHES

Chats

Hey it's been a while since I last posted up on here. I have been neglecting the Manch a bit.
    But I have been mowing over lots of ideas on what direction to go with it. Still trying to figure it out but i'm leaning toward a v8 drivetrain swap from a 90 something Chevy because this.......

2005 Ford F-350 1 ton axles.
    Front is a Dana 60 35 spline factory hubs
    Rear is a Ford 10.5 35 spline full floater
    4 wheel discs and 3.73 gears
    front axle has trackbar and steering attached.

300 Doll hairs for both axles. Guy i got them from was going to use them on a 77 quad cab ford but went a different direction. I couldn't help pic them up for that price.

Thanks for reading
    -Zach

Chats

That was a good deal for sure
    230 hp 4.3L Chevy
    Built 4L60E with manual lockout
    Atlas 4 speed
    Griffin radiator
    On board air
    Warn 9.5ti on custom bumper
    7.5" RE front and bastard pack rear on custom long arms
    30 gal gas tank
    lockers
    And a bunch of other stuff

Chats

Definitely can't say I blame you for snagging that deal on those axles!! I would have definitely jumped on that deal if it presented itself as well!!
    FORMER GREEN XJ CLUB MEMBER
    IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM!!
    DOING SOMETHING JUST BECAUSE YOUR BUDDY DOES IT THAT WAY MAKES AS MUCH SENSE AS SHARING TOOTHBRUSHES

Chats

Not too much has happened on the Manch lately. I did manage to get the Bed removed. However now it wont start. It started when I moved it to the front of the shop but wouldn't start to get moved again. I'm 99% sure it is a fuel issue. it cracks off for a sec when fuel is put in the throttle body. Not sure if it is a fuel filter or the pump. The pump fires when I turn on the key, but it may be really weak.

Anyway here is the rear frame section.

Thanks,
    Zach

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast