Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 LastLast
    Chats

Default Re: The Challenge Build

Quote Originally Posted by abebehrmann View Post
    I'm pretty sure the ring gear is a larger diameter in the JK Dana 44.

Edit: See the chart at the bottom of this link.

http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/tr...dana-44-axles/
    Great reference Abe. That answers half of my questions. The D44A innards still peak my interest.

Chats

Carriers are different too. Cannot interchange lockers or spiders IIRC. The JK and Wj versions are the D44 HD. Supposed to take more engine torque. It is the same one they put in the Viper
    230 hp 4.3L Chevy
    Built 4L60E with manual lockout
    Atlas 4 speed
    Griffin radiator
    On board air
    Warn 9.5ti on custom bumper
    7.5" RE front and bastard pack rear on custom long arms
    30 gal gas tank
    lockers
    And a bunch of other stuff

Chats

Some more videos from the outing to Freedom Ridge.

[ame]https://youtu.be/7l8ayBrmz58[/ame]

[ame]https://youtu.be/_UIXu7n4PJw[/ame]

[ame]https://youtu.be/AnjJZLdGivU[/ame]

[ame]https://youtu.be/Njk9skRmbtQ[/ame]

[ame]https://youtu.be/tuAmxr1CdXs[/ame]

[ame]https://youtu.be/0Xl1rxi3EZI[/ame]

[ame]https://youtu.be/4i0CKcYKQSw[/ame]

Pinkyman is offline Level: Uber Jeep Cherokee Trailer Queen
    Chats

Wow youre right Jake, there are some crazy looking hills there!

Chats

Yeah it's pretty fun though. I have a bunch of pics too but I can't figure out how to size them down to go on the forum.

Chats

Yeah Jake, looks like fun there
    230 hp 4.3L Chevy
    Built 4L60E with manual lockout
    Atlas 4 speed
    Griffin radiator
    On board air
    Warn 9.5ti on custom bumper
    7.5" RE front and bastard pack rear on custom long arms
    30 gal gas tank
    lockers
    And a bunch of other stuff

Chats

I'm back and yes I'm still alive. Winter, wife, and work have kept me super busy for the last while. With the wheeling season right around the corner and my time short I outsourced my axle work. Blue got dropped off at a local driveline shop for some work. Next week it should be back home with 2 rebuilt axles with all new Yukon guts including 4.88's and Grizzly lockers. I hate to pay someone to do it but I simply don't have the time. The shop doing the work is Sidco 4x4 in Glencoe, Mn. He's been around a long time and definitely knows his stuff.

Check out his website. http://sidco4x4.com/

Chats

Quote Originally Posted by xj-jake View Post
    I'm back and yes I'm still alive. Winter, wife, and work have kept me super busy for the last while. With the wheeling season right around the corner and my time short I outsourced my axle work. Blue got dropped off at a local driveline shop for some work. Next week it should be back home with 2 rebuilt axles with all new Yukon guts including 4.88's and Grizzly lockers. I hate to pay someone to do it but I simply don't have the time. The shop doing the work is Sidco 4x4 in Glencoe, Mn. He's been around a long time and definitely knows his stuff.

Check out his website. http://sidco4x4.com/
    I wish I had the knowledge and tools to be able to do my own gears.. I would have done my full axle rebuild and gear/locker install myself before I spent almost as much as I did on all the parts on the work.. Not to mention.. I'd be done with it by now... and not still waiting on getting her back...
    FORMER GREEN XJ CLUB MEMBER
    IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM!!
    DOING SOMETHING JUST BECAUSE YOUR BUDDY DOES IT THAT WAY MAKES AS MUCH SENSE AS SHARING TOOTHBRUSHES

Chats

I don't have the knowledge or the patience for it right now either. I need it to just run and be ready when I am. Should be going under the knife on Wednesday, and hopefully they don't find too much other stuff that needs attention.

Chats

Well Blue came back from the doctor last week with all kinds of new axle guts. It was in dire need of a rebuild, the 30 was awfully noisy. So here's how it went, both axles got new guts from flange to flange. All new bearings and seals along with Yukon 4.88's and Grizzly lockers. When I loaded the jeep on the trailer while picking it up from the shop I didn't even have to touch the gas pedal. It crawled right up all by itself.

I asked the guys in the shop if there was anything to be concerned with or if they had any issues with the install. Blue got a clean bill of health with the warning that I will probably start breaking D30 axles, which I'm aware of.

Food for thought and things to consider

They told me that while disassembling the rear axle they came upon something that I wasn't aware of on the outer bearings on the D44. Apparently the races were spinning in the housing. They told me it was very common on them and they see this issue more than one would think. It's nothing that can't be fixed and nothing to worry about.

First impressions

I drive this both on and off road. With a few very fun trips planned for the summer I knew it wasn't going to make another year on subpar (in my opinion) lockers and stock gearing. After the butt chewing I got from the wife in November about her not able to climb stuff like she wanted the green light came on.

On road, peppy. It's actually fun to drive again. I don't have to worry about making sure there's enough time for me to accelerate so I don't get creamed by the semi. On the highway it actually goes into overdrive and even sometimes in town. I can't remember how long its been since it just does it without me having to try to make it go in overdrive. It runs high rpms on the highway, thankfully it wont be on the highway for more that 30 or so miles at a time.

Off road, this review is still to come. At the end of April I'll be heading out with some locals to give it a throw. I'm excited to get this thing dirty because I can tell the difference already. I had to try it out on my rock at the house. Stay tuned for pics and vids from Freedom Ridge at the end of the month!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20170416_163640.jpg  

Chats

I tackled the cut and fold on the rear fenders yesterday in preparation for the upcoming wheeling weekend. There's tons of write-ups out there on how to do this mod but what I found is the best thing to do is wing it. The side that I initially thought was the worst side actually ended up being the better one.

I buttoned it up for the weekend, there isn't a good way to get this done the way I'd like it done. It's good to go for now but I will be rewelding in sheet metal so I feel better about it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20170423_100400.jpg   20170423_132744.jpg  

Chats

Here's the finished for now product. As much as I hate to say this word I may have to put mudflaps on it. There's not much for coverage back there from flying tire debris.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20170424_094325.jpg   20170424_094335.jpg  

20170424_094400.jpg  

Chats

I'm also trying to chase down an intermittent speed sensor issue. Ever since I've had this jeep the speedo works only from time to time. It never bothered me so I never bothered to chase it down.

Most of the time after driving the jeep for a while the speedo would work just fine and then if shut off it wouldn't work again until it was warmed up again. Well with the new gears I'm guessing that it's warming up faster but now the speedo will pin at a Hondo twenty and it won't downshift when coming to a stop.

I spoke with one of the techs here and did the factory diagnostics and ordered a speed sensor for it. Hopefully this will fix my problem, I just really didn't want to have to drop 100 on the speed sensor from Rugged Ridge!

Chats

Glad you got your axles done flange to flange far quicker than I did.. What gears did you go from, was it stock gearing originally?? I went to 4.56's on mine, and so far definitely notice a difference on the road.. I drove mine home from the shop (roughly 70 miles on the new gears by the time I got her home), and I don't remember what the RPM's were @ on the highway... but wasn't too bad.. either way my average MPG was 15.. no complaints about that... not so good MPG in the city I'm sure... but still going to be better than it was with the stock gears and 3.55's... I'm @ 315 miles in on the break-in process... Going to try and go out and get some more miles in today... and hoping the weather will be better tomorrow so I can go out and get some more miles in and some pictures... and maybe take the Yak out and check out a sunken fishing boat I found on my adventures yesterday while the cool down cycle is going.. Mine won't be as nice gears and locker wise like yours... then again for now, my wheeling is nearly as nice as yours either... (unfortunately I'm stuck with mud only for now)...

Great videos by the way... can't wait to get to some good wheeling as close to that as I can get anyways... Love the exhaust note too... is that a FM exhaust or just a cut up stock system??
    Last edited by bluedragon436; 04-25-2017 at 12:20 PM.
    FORMER GREEN XJ CLUB MEMBER
    IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM!!
    DOING SOMETHING JUST BECAUSE YOUR BUDDY DOES IT THAT WAY MAKES AS MUCH SENSE AS SHARING TOOTHBRUSHES

Chats

Yeah the axles got done and we're gonna give them the test this weekend. They got done quick but I paid for it as well. Actually more than I paid for the Jeep initially. You gotta pay to play right?? I went from 3.55 gearing to 4.88's and it made a huge difference. As far as mileage I honestly don't care what it gets. I have new tires going on this afternoon and I should be set for the summer, if I spend any more on it I'm sure the wife is gonna hang me.

If I remember right the exhaust is a Magnaflow? I honestly can't recall. It has a nice throaty sound.
    Last edited by xj-jake; 04-27-2017 at 11:30 AM.

Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 LastLast