Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 330
  1. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    1,618
    Chats
    4028

    Default Re: The Challenge Build

    Quote Originally Posted by XJ Wheeler View Post
    Yeah, i've researched a ton on this and most don't give good photos or info on one particular part. The inner factory rocker. How much did you cut off and how are you tying/welding the tubing into the backside? I've seen some welding angle inside the rocker before putting the tubing on.

    Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.
    That is the part that I am debating at this point. The inner factory rocker has the inside part of the pinch seam attached to it. As of right now I have cut that part flush with the bottom of the floor pan. I will be putting new floors in this next spring so for right now I am going to bolt angle through the inner rocker and place a "nut strip" or big washers on the inside under the carpet. The rest of the tube rocker will be welded in. When I tear the floors out, along the side I'll be able to remove the bolts and tie the floor into the already welded in tube rockers and have good sturdy metal to weld to. (in theory) I hope this clears it up. I will be using 2 pieces of angle. One on the inner factory rocker and one for the door sill to replace the rusted parts there.

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    S.E. Texas
    Posts
    29,251
    Chats
    1247

    Default Re: The Challenge Build

    Quote Originally Posted by xj-jake View Post
    That is the part that I am debating at this point. The inner factory rocker has the inside part of the pinch seam attached to it. As of right now I have cut that part flush with the bottom of the floor pan. I will be putting new floors in this next spring so for right now I am going to bolt angle through the inner rocker and place a "nut strip" or big washers on the inside under the carpet. The rest of the tube rocker will be welded in. When I tear the floors out, along the side I'll be able to remove the bolts and tie the floor into the already welded in tube rockers and have good sturdy metal to weld to. (in theory) I hope this clears it up. I will be using 2 pieces of angle. One on the inner factory rocker and one for the door sill to replace the rusted parts there.
    Sounds like a plan! Ya got me thinking now...

    Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    1,618
    Chats
    4028

    Default Re: The Challenge Build

    Quote Originally Posted by XJ Wheeler View Post
    Sounds like a plan! Ya got me thinking now...

    Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.
    My other option right now is to cut the inner rocker out and replace that with a piece of 1/8"x4 ish flat steel. That way I can eliminate the second chunk of angle. But if I do that then I need to work on the floor now which I really don't have time for. I don't see that other angle being in there as a bad thing. I tend to over engineer things. I will be working on this tomorrow afternoon if you want or need any photos.
    Last edited by xj-jake; 10-21-2014 at 05:36 PM.

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    S.E. Texas
    Posts
    29,251
    Chats
    1247

    Default Re: The Challenge Build

    Quote Originally Posted by xj-jake View Post
    My other option right now is to cut the inner rocker out and replace that with a piece of 1/8"x4 ish flat steel. That way I can eliminate the second chunk of angle. But if I do that then I need to work on the floor now which I really don't have time for. I don't see that other angle being in there as a bad thing. I tend to over engineer things. I will be working on this tomorrow afternoon if you want or need any photos.
    A little hard to picture since i've never done it nor there to see it but i think the first plan will work out since you can't do the floors yet. Have you thought about tying into the "frame rail"? I have a set of stiffeners that i am going to be welding on soon to provide a base but the endless ways to do the braces i just wanted to know if you had a design in mind.

    It really seems like there's an infinite amount of ways to go about this mod.

    Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    1,618
    Chats
    4028

    Default Re: The Challenge Build

    Quote Originally Posted by XJ Wheeler View Post
    A little hard to picture since i've never done it nor there to see it but i think the first plan will work out since you can't do the floors yet. Have you thought about tying into the "frame rail"? I have a set of stiffeners that i am going to be welding on soon to provide a base but the endless ways to do the braces i just wanted to know if you had a design in mind.

    It really seems like there's an infinite amount of ways to go about this mod.

    Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.
    I will be tying back into the rails as soon as I get everything else done. Then again do I fab up frame stiffeners before I tie in the rockers? You are right there are endless ways. Honestly I'm kinda flying by the seat of my pants on this. Just grab a cutting wheel and go. It will all work out in the end and be way stronger than when it rolled off the assembly line.

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    S.E. Texas
    Posts
    29,251
    Chats
    1247

    Default Re: The Challenge Build

    Quote Originally Posted by xj-jake View Post
    I will be tying back into the rails as soon as I get everything else done. Then again do I fab up frame stiffeners before I tie in the rockers? You are right there are endless ways. Honestly I'm kinda flying by the seat of my pants on this. Just grab a cutting wheel and go. It will all work out in the end and be way stronger than when it rolled off the assembly line.
    I do think a good base is important if you're bracing to the frame. It doesn't have to be full stiffeners but i do think that's best.

    I have a feeling that's how its gonna be for me. Once i get in there, the plan will fall into place.

    Good luck bud!

    Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

  7. #22
    abebehrmann's Avatar
    abebehrmann is offline Level: Uber Jeep Cherokee Trailer Queen
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    6,597
    Chats
    2359

    Default Re: The Challenge Build

    Quote Originally Posted by xj-jake View Post
    I can't believe nobody caught on to the obvious here. 34-12.50's on a Dana 35...
    Make sure to pack extra shafts! But then again, there is a guy down here with 35''s on his D35 and he's been trying for the past 6 months to break it and he just can't get it to go.

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    1,618
    Chats
    4028

    Default Re: The Challenge Build


  9. #24
    abebehrmann's Avatar
    abebehrmann is offline Level: Uber Jeep Cherokee Trailer Queen
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    6,597
    Chats
    2359

    Default Re: The Challenge Build

    You could probably pick up a 29-spline 8.25 for cheaper than those shafts, I would think it would at least be as strong as a Dana35 with the new shafts in it and you would have the option of further strengthening it in the future if you so desire. Just a thought.

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    1,618
    Chats
    4028

    Default Re: The Challenge Build

    Quote Originally Posted by abebehrmann View Post
    You could probably pick up a 29-spline 8.25 for cheaper than those shafts, I would think it would at least be as strong as a Dana35 with the new shafts in it and you would have the option of further strengthening it in the future if you so desire. Just a thought.
    I have been looking for months. I've even considered buying another jeep just for the sole reason of switching axles. Everything used I find has a zillion miles on it and they are pretty much non existent in the yards up here.

  11. #26
    abebehrmann's Avatar
    abebehrmann is offline Level: Uber Jeep Cherokee Trailer Queen
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    6,597
    Chats
    2359

    Default Re: The Challenge Build

    That is a real bummer. They are practically a dime-a-dozen down here in Florida.

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Asheville, NC
    Posts
    7,955
    Chats
    39048

    Default Re: The Challenge Build

    Yeah I'd say hit up a JY and pick yourself up a 29spline 8.25 axle, that'd def give you a bit more reliability and strength for those tires... Another option that would be a bit more work to install would be picking up a 8.8 out of an Explorer w/ the factory limited slip... even better if you can get one with 4:10 gears, then you'll be better ready to leave your brother behind or pull him out of any predicaments he manages to get himself into trying to keep up with you and go where you go!!
    FORMER GREEN XJ CLUB MEMBER
    IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM!!
    DOING SOMETHING JUST BECAUSE YOUR BUDDY DOES IT THAT WAY MAKES AS MUCH SENSE AS SHARING TOOTHBRUSHES

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    1,618
    Chats
    4028

    Default Re: The Challenge Build

    Quote Originally Posted by bluedragon436 View Post
    Yeah I'd say hit up a JY and pick yourself up a 29spline 8.25 axle, that'd def give you a bit more reliability and strength for those tires... Another option that would be a bit more work to install would be picking up a 8.8 out of an Explorer w/ the factory limited slip... even better if you can get one with 4:10 gears, then you'll be better ready to leave your brother behind or pull him out of any predicaments he manages to get himself into trying to keep up with you and go where you go!!
    It's still an option I'm not ruling it out but it better happen fast because winter is coming and I work on the jeep outside... I've considered the 8.8 but my gut tells me this jeep will soon be going beyond that. We watched the episode of Extreme Offroad where Egodfrey had his XJ built by Ian Johnson. After that the Mrs suggested we make my Jeep offroad only. I like her thinking.

  14. #29
    abebehrmann's Avatar
    abebehrmann is offline Level: Uber Jeep Cherokee Trailer Queen
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    6,597
    Chats
    2359

    Default Re: The Challenge Build

    I was surprised when I started researching the Ford 8.8. Despite being a c-clip axle, they are actually really strong. I've seen some people running 35s with these without upgrading a thing and people with upgraded shafts and truss with 37s.

  15. #30
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Chico, CA
    Posts
    29,677
    Chats
    1838

    Default Re: The Challenge Build

    Quote Originally Posted by xj-jake View Post
    It's still an option I'm not ruling it out but it better happen fast because winter is coming and I work on the jeep outside... I've considered the 8.8 but my gut tells me this jeep will soon be going beyond that. We watched the episode of Extreme Offroad where Egodfrey had his XJ built by Ian Johnson. After that the Mrs suggested we make my Jeep offroad only. I like her thinking.
    She is a keeper
    230 hp 4.3L Chevy
    Built 4L60E with manual lockout
    Atlas 4 speed
    Griffin radiator
    On board air
    Warn 9.5ti on custom bumper
    7.5" RE front and bastard pack rear on custom long arms
    30 gal gas tank
    lockers
    And a bunch of other stuff

Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Pie Challenge?
    By Mudderoy in forum General Talk
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-10-2014, 06:11 PM
  2. Chile Challenge 2012 pics and vids
    By Dirt Dogg Rydas in forum General Talk
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 03-17-2012, 09:07 PM
  3. Video from the Alberta Safari Challenge
    By JENSSEN in forum General Talk
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-14-2011, 09:41 PM
  4. Highriders.ca 2011 Challenge results
    By JENSSEN in forum General Talk
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 07-11-2011, 11:27 PM
  5. I challenge XJJEEPTHING !
    By muddeprived in forum Modified
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 07-09-2009, 09:15 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •