Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast
    Chats

Default The Challenge Build

Well since I have a challenge that has been thrown down and some fun things are going to be happening to my jeep in the next couple months I figured I would start a build thread and do my best to keep it updated.

First the challenge.

We are planning a family get together for next summer in the Black Hills of South Dakota. Myself and the Mrs along with my parents are in Minnesota. My sister and brother in law are in Austin Texas and my brother and sister in law are in Denver. My brother wants to meet somewhere with lots of things to do but his hidden agenda is so that we can get together to do some wheeling together which I'm all for. He has a really cool Scout that his wife bought him for his birthday on the cheap in Colorado. Rust free just needed some TLC.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_8610.jpg  

Chats

Default Re: The Challenge Build

So I get a text from him last week saying "I think you better get used to looking at this." Well my little brother has a bit of an ego so after so friendly brotherly banter the challenge was accepted and things are probably gonna get a little crazy.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2790.jpg  

Chats

I'm on my second Jeep and I got bit by the bug hard. My first was an 88 XJ that I bought stock and did a little building to. I enjoy tinkering on stuff so this was the perfect vehicle for me to play with and kinda figure out a route that I wanted to go with the next one. I bought it for 500 from a guy in town I used to work for. Saved up some cash and bought a lift and started a new addiction besides partying. (I've been dry for 3 1/2 years) I sold this Jeep after 3 years to my fiancÚ's brother for 800 and it is still running to this day with close to 250K on the odometer.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG00075-20110421-1925.jpg   IMG00076-20110421-1926.jpg  

IMG00078-20110424-1552.jpg   IMG00082-20110510-1021.jpg  

IMG00117-20110630-1706.jpg   IMG00116-20110630-1706.jpg  

Chats

Moar
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMAG0432.jpg   IMAG0121.jpg  

IMAG0008.jpg  

Chats

I took this Jeep as far as I dared. Minnesota vehicle all it's life and there wasn't much metal left to build what I wanted. Plus my girl was embarrassed to ride around in a rusted out Jeep that would go anywhere, but also be within 10 degrees of the outside temperature. She was a little drafty. So I started the mind numbing craigslist search for a new Jeep. Weeks of searching left me frustrated because I was being a little picky. It finally came down to where I was going to start looking for a TJ. Finally I ran across a very bland looking ad with no photos. We exchanged a few emails and he finally just gave me his number. We chatted on the phone for a little bit and I realized I found the jeep I wanted. We set up a time and drove 3 hours to go look at it. It was as stated with a long arm kit installed, including the T-case cross member and custom built drive shafts, pinion shims, etc. We drove down to look at it and I ended up buying it for 300 less than his asking price plus a whole cargo are full of extra parts. After selling the extra crap I didn't need I ended up being 2000 into this 99 XJ with a 4 1/2" long arm kit.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMAG0542.jpg   IMAG0551.jpg  

Chats

Tail lights eh? That suspension you have is much flexier than the Scout leaf springs. Throw a lunch box locker in that nice looking Jeep and you can show him yours, and have time to do a little reading while he catches up
    230 hp 4.3L Chevy
    Built 4L60E with manual lockout
    Atlas 4 speed
    Griffin radiator
    On board air
    Warn 9.5ti on custom bumper
    7.5" RE front and bastard pack rear on custom long arms
    30 gal gas tank
    lockers
    And a bunch of other stuff

Chats

will you my still by seeing a lot of he's rear lights you may have to double back and pull him out a lot. the jeep looks good have fun.

Chats

The pics of the new blue one were shortly after I got it. I took my 31-10.50's off the old one and put them on there. It had 30-9.50's when I got it just looked stupid. Then I got to thinking. I had a set of lift shackles on my old one. So I swapped out shackles on my gravel driveway to give me the extra boost in the rear of the Blue Jeep. Called and ordered a set of 6 1/2" lift coils for the front (also changed in the driveway) and had a 6 1/2" long arm Jeep sitting in the driveway. Begged borrowed and stole a few parts from here and there. Ended up buying a set of 17" Pro Comp wheels via a junk yard for 200 and selling the 30" tires that came on the Jeep for 200. Even swap and I love the look of the 17's.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20131114_091830.jpg  

Chats

A few things have changed since that photo. New bumper and new lighting setup. Jcr rear panels to "hide rust" and for some protection. I'm almost done catching things up here then we can move on to the new stuff. Somewhere after the bumper and before the lights I had to upgrade to a Durango steering box. That was a fairly simple upgrade that was money well spent. I have no regrets doing that at all.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20141009_181813.jpg   DSC_0163.jpg  

DSC_0204.jpg  

Chats

Here's where the fun starts. I'm picking up a new set of rims and tires this week. (another craigslist find) 34-12.50-15's Rims are good tires are about 2/3 tread. For 350 I can't pass that deal up and it's a 10 minute drive. As you can see the rockers are nearly, well mostly, gone. I ordered tube and some angle for that project and started yesterday. 69 for the tube and some pieces of angle. I may need some pieces of flat for the inside. I'm thinking of making some sort of nut strip to run inside the cab on the rocker panel backer plate. It's pretty thin and I think this will give me the best stability out of it. The rest will be welded. I have only cut out the drivers side and you could have fit everything I cut out into an ice cream pail.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20141019_143724.jpg   20141019_143729.jpg  

20141019_143739.jpg   20141019_143745.jpg  

20141019_143807.jpg   20141019_143815.jpg  

Chats

Love the challenge! Sounds like a good time.

Give us plenty of pics of that rocker replacement. Need to do mine too.

cantab27 is offline Level: Uber Jeep Cherokee Trailer Queen
    Chats

Quote Originally Posted by xj-jake View Post
    A few things have changed since that photo. New bumper and new lighting setup. Jcr rear panels to "hide rust" and for some protection. I'm almost done catching things up here then we can move on to the new stuff. Somewhere after the bumper and before the lights I had to upgrade to a Durango steering box. That was a fairly simple upgrade that was money well spent. I have no regrets doing that at all.
    just send him the first pic .....tell him to get use to that view and you will be using his recovery gear ............
    keeping it red........

I DRIVE A BARBIE JEEP

Quote Originally Posted by XJ4IV
    .... lol Im a jerk tonight!
    Originally Posted by bigjim350 View Post
    Think I would go that crazy too if my Jeep turned white

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGg0C...eature=related

Chats

Quote Originally Posted by XJ Wheeler View Post
    Love the challenge! Sounds like a good time.

Give us plenty of pics of that rocker replacement. Need to do mine too.
    Will do Jake. If there are any pictures that any of you want in particular or questions or explanation you want ask now. I will take photos and answer questions as I can. The drivers side rocker will be getting worked on tomorrow afternoon. This is the time to ask because there's not a lot of detailed info out there as like with some other mods. It's hard to know exactly what other people want to see and hear.

Chats

I can't believe nobody caught on to the obvious here. 34-12.50's on a Dana 35...

Chats

Quote Originally Posted by xj-jake View Post
    Will do Jake. If there are any pictures that any of you want in particular or questions or explanation you want ask now. I will take photos and answer questions as I can. The drivers side rocker will be getting worked on tomorrow afternoon. This is the time to ask because there's not a lot of detailed info out there as like with some other mods. It's hard to know exactly what other people want to see and hear.
    Yeah, i've researched a ton on this and most don't give good photos or info on one particular part. The inner factory rocker. How much did you cut off and how are you tying/welding the tubing into the backside? I've seen some welding angle inside the rocker before putting the tubing on.

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast