Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Good 110 volt welder

Default Good 110 volt welder

Okay I've been considering buying a small welder to do some body repair on the Jeep. In the long run it'll be easier and cheaper if I buy one and do the work myself as opposed to trying to find one to use blah blah....

Hobart Handler 130 is what I'm looking at

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Hobart-500549-Auto-Wire-Welder/dp/B002VECKTC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=undefined&sr=8-2&keywords=hobart+handler+130"]Hobart 500549 Auto Arc 130 Wire Feed MIG Welder - Mig Welding Equipment - Amazon.com@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41p8Hn-zO2L.@@AMEPARAM@@41p8Hn-zO2L[/ame]

Along with the Hobart Handler 140

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Hobart-500559-Handler-Wire-Welder/dp/B009X43F38/ref=sr_1_1?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=undefined&sr=1-1&keywords=hobart+handler+140#productDetails"]Hobart 500559 Handler Wire Welder - Mig Welding Equipment - Amazon.com@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41-elSqu1XL.@@AMEPARAM@@41-elSqu1XL[/ame]

I don't need anything more that one of these and I own a jeep therefore am cheap. The 140 comes with the gas regulator and is supposed to weld up to 1/4" material. The 130 comes with out the regulator but it can be added and will weld to 3/16" material.

I'm looking at doing tube rockers and eventually floor pans, along with whatever comes along and other projects. What say you ?

Default Re: Good 110 volt welder

Those are both nice looking units... I am looking forward to seeing reviews or opinions of the others, especially the ones that do fabrication & welding work to see what they say.. as I've been looking at picking up something similar to either of these units to get started with welding myself..
    FORMER GREEN XJ CLUB MEMBER
    IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM!!
    DOING SOMETHING JUST BECAUSE YOUR BUDDY DOES IT THAT WAY MAKES AS MUCH SENSE AS SHARING TOOTHBRUSHES

I always liked the hobart units.I'm assuming that either one can be used without gas? Flux core wire is okay but gas is better.I would go with the 140.You can never have too much power!

Pookapotamus is offline Level: Uber Jeep Cherokee Trailer Queen

I used to have the Lincoln mig pack 140 was a great machine, only reason I got rid of it was to upgrade to the 220v 180.

I would go with the 140. Actually that is the one I plan to get when I get one, instead of using my brothers. The reason I suggest it is so you can step up a bit once you've got the hang of it. And honestly for the home mechanic I don't think you'll need anything more.

Get the 140 so you can use the gas. This makes body repair much easier. There will be a couple of upcoming pod casts with Jeep garage what will address the type of welding required and how to do body repair
    230 hp 4.3L Chevy
    Built 4L60E with manual lockout
    Atlas 4 speed
    Griffin radiator
    On board air
    Warn 9.5ti on custom bumper
    7.5" RE front and bastard pack rear on custom long arms
    30 gal gas tank
    lockers
    And a bunch of other stuff

We should take all the welding segments of the show and put them all together once they are all done... and make a special welding podcast segment.. Figure that way folks can reference back to the welding segments for information or tips when they are looking to pick up new equipment or do something to their XJ's
    FORMER GREEN XJ CLUB MEMBER
    IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM!!
    DOING SOMETHING JUST BECAUSE YOUR BUDDY DOES IT THAT WAY MAKES AS MUCH SENSE AS SHARING TOOTHBRUSHES

I should say that I am not a rookie welder. I built industrial trailers for 6 years before getting into sales. So the Lincoln welder states that it can weld up to 5/16" material. Between the Lincoln 140 and the Hobart 140 which way would you go?

I own the 140 and love it. It had no issue burning in the frame stiffeners on my old XJ
    Trailer Queen Jeep Member (Hoping Bigjim350 will show me how to wheel since 2011)
    Now charging a shop fee!

I would go with the Hobart. If you plan to do any body work you need to have the gas. I know the 140 claims 3/16, but realize that is with flux core, and multiple passes. And I would still not ever try anything critical. Realistically the 140 is a solid 1/8" machine with gas. Anything more is really pushing it. If there is any way you can step up to a 220V machine you will never regret it.

Hmmm,

I'm just a welding hack. I simply throw a 2,700 Watt inverter and my Harbor Frieght 90 Amp wire feed welder in the back of the Jeep. I have been able to stick things back on after I broke them off.
    It's called a Cherokee in Venezuela...

I pulled the trigger last night on a Lincoln Weld Pak 140. Decent price, claims material up to 5/16, and gas is optional. Came with 2 lbs of wire, one flux core, the other for shield gas. Now someone correct me if I'm wrong but can't you weld with flux cored wire with a shielding gas? We did at my previous welding job.

You can but the whole reason for flux core is so you dont need gas.kinda like soldering.you can use flux core solder to eliminate a step.

Id rather use reg wire and gas.much neater welds

Roger got it. I'm excited to get started on my projects.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast