Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to XJ and getting my baptism by FIRE!

Default New to XJ and getting my baptism by FIRE!

Hi everyone!
    I just bought my xj on 4th of July, and have had a number of my questions answered by xjtalk..so I figured I'd join. The group is AWESOME! I'm still having some issues and dont know where to go next, so thought I would see what everyone else thinks. I am having the general running issues that seem to be fairly common. It is fishbiting (surging, stumbling) at higheay speed, occasionally rough idle and stalls but starts back up right away, and sometimes the idle is high...turn it off and restart and it is fine. Since I jist bought it, I did the smart thing and changed EVERY FLUID AND FILTER on the vehicle so at least I know what and when on those, but i have also in the last 4 weeks....
    replaced ,radiator and all hoses and thermostat, IAC, CPS, TPS. Removed throttle body assy and cleaned 190k miles woth of carbon. new plugs,wires,cap&rotor.
    It still doesnt go the way I would like...but it stops great since all the brake parts are new except master cylinder and vac booster. What should I look at next?? I'm obviously not new to wrenching, and enjoy it...but I figured my issues would be gone by now. I'm eager for some new perspective...PLEASE HELP! THANKS IN ADVANCE!!

Default Re: New to XJ and getting my baptism by FIRE!

Please...any suggestions would be a big help. I feel like Ive been too focused on one aspect (the throttle position sensor and IAC) and may have missed something. A different set of "eyes" may help me see something I have not thought about. since I didnt get the results I expected from what I have already done, Im a little suprised and dont want to just keep replacing stuff till it gets better!

Well, as you may know there are many things that can cause this. Although I am no expert I would start by resetting the computer. Disconnect both battery terminals and touch them together for 30 seconds. Also I would check the fuel pressure and exhaust system. Might think about running a cleaner through the system too in case those injectors are cruddy. And just to reassure you there isn't many people on at this late our so you'll get more (and probably better ) help in the morning.

And welcome to xjtalk! We're here to provide a fun place to help each other out. Bashing, flaming, and disrespect is something we strive to push to extinction so feel free to jump in and ask, post, comment, show off, or just chat. Congratulations on the Independence Day Jeep!!!

Welcome Mike, glad you found us. One thing I would suggest since you don't know its history is change out the O2 sensor. That may not cure your surging, but it will level the playing field for you and with reseting the PCM with the battery cable disconnect you will be able to go from there. Also check your hoses and vacuum reservoir for leaks
    230 hp 4.3L Chevy
    Built 4L60E with manual lockout
    Atlas 4 speed
    Griffin radiator
    On board air
    Warn 9.5ti on custom bumper
    7.5" RE front and bastard pack rear on custom long arms
    30 gal gas tank
    lockers
    And a bunch of other stuff

I would say with all the items you've already tried swapping out, that I would do as these guys said and replace the O2 sensor and then reset the computer and see what that does for you.. Another thing that I was thinking could be an issue is a vacuum leak. I know with the Renix engines they have that plethora of lines that go all over the engine bay, as I replaced the one on my 90 XJ.. You can purchase a new vacuum harness through Amazon, I think mine cost like 30 or so shipped to me in Delaware, and it gave me every line needed with the exception of the MAP sensor line.. most of mine were missing and the few that were there looked like hell... so figured it didn't hurt to swap out.. Heck if I can't get my 90 running again when I get back stateside in roughly a week I might be able to sell you the vacuum harness and a brand new O2 sensor I bought for it if you're interested..
    FORMER GREEN XJ CLUB MEMBER
    IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM!!
    DOING SOMETHING JUST BECAUSE YOUR BUDDY DOES IT THAT WAY MAKES AS MUCH SENSE AS SHARING TOOTHBRUSHES

thanks for the replies guys! I have been checking vacuum lines and replacing and plugging like crazy. The previous owner fancied himself a mechanic, and some of his "modifications" have just left me wondering WHY!!! I paid 1300 so Im not bitchin'. I pulled the battery to reset things after the TPS went in this weekend, so if it doesnt unlearn its bad habbits I'm going to do the O2 sensor and go from there.

bluedragon...if your ride is dead I may be interested inall of it for parts. I need a new Np231 also, plus enough other odds and ends that for the right price, a donor car makes good sense. Im looking around. thanks again and will keep everyone updated on what happens.

I dont know what year yours is but my 98 had a bad crank position sensor that would cause a rough idle every now and again.also had a worn drive gear on dist. Shaft.

Hey Mike, you have a PM, whenever you get a chance...
    DOING SOMETHING JUST BECAUSE YOUR BUDDY DOES IT THAT WAY MAKES AS MUCH SENSE AS SHARING TOOTHBRUSHES

acts 2:38 woooop

Update....

I was going toa buy the o2 sensor tonight,but the only place that had it in stock was Napa for 90. No way! Autozone had a Bosch for 47, so I ordered it. I wanted to do something tonight so I decided to pull the EGR and clean it out. it was full of carbon so it should be nice and happy now. Then I grabbed a piece of garden hose and started listening for leaks. I found one small one... and a huge one that made me say "how did I miss this???" In the main hose going to the ball under front bumper. Fixed them up and disconnected the battery to reset the computer, then drove it on the highway, in town, over the mountain...its running AWESOME. Im still getting the o2, & going to drive it to work tomorrow and see if it acts like a fool again...but for now, fingers crossed. Now to find a cheap xfer case. Thanks for the advice and i'll keep you posted!!
    Mike (Not so broken anymore_Arrow)

Glad to hear it mike! Vacume leaks can be a pain to find

Got to love those pesky vacuum leaks...

Good work! Either way it sounds like some much needed maintenance was taken care of.

Hey broken arrow is that as in broken arrow okla. ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Im glad it was ru nning crappy...in a sadistic and twisted sort of way. it forced me to fix some really evil stuff left over from the previous owner in stead of just putting miles on it. So far so good!!
    I
    BHK...the name is a reference to when an American military post is about to be overrun, it calls in air support from all available aircraft. Also...more obvious and direct, dont know if you can see it in the pics, but the antenna is an old "broken arrow". my buddy who was a marine pilot said that was its new name.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast