Thread: Ignition switch replacement?

Icon14 Ignition switch replacement?

I'm new here...I've searched the archives for Ignition switch replacement, but have had no luck. Does anyone have any links or pics. A pic I have shows three mounting holes. Is there supposed to be three bolts, or only two? Great site...As soon as I have my problem fixed, I intend to spend some time exploring...There goes another afternoon....

I can't remember how many bolts but I do remember that it was a lot easier after I dropped the column from the dash. The box on top of the column close to the floor houses the ignition switch. I have replaced both the one on my XJ and the one on my MJ. XJ was a struggle because I was just learning about them many years ago. The MJ was a breeze with a little experience under my belt. It is a daunting job until you have done a couple then it only takes about 10 minutes from start to button up.
    Hope this was at least a little helpful.
    Hey bubba get your hand off my ass,

Some days it is just not worth it to gnaw through the leather restraints.

R.I.P. Brian 96_XJ Perrine 1990-2011

IIRC, three in the floor board, and two at the dash bezel. Then two holding the switch itself on. It is pretty straight forward, just take your time, and you'll do fine!! HTH!!

Thanks for the help. I dropped the column and removed the switch. The two plugs were fried and had to be replaced. A separate, single, hot wire was also plugged into the switch and had shorted out...I could not find the plugs at the Jeep dealer or any parts house. I had to go to Pick-A-Part...They had an XJ - "cash for clunkers" that had just came in...It was in excellent condition with only 92,000 miles...It was spotless..I could hardly bear to deface it...My son reminded me it was an "organ donor"...We left with a wheel barrow full of parts and pieces...Again, thanks.

do you have pics of the parts

Sorry...no pics..I really enjoy seeing all the pics..I need to get a camera and learn how to post them...

It's all very easy!! Trust me, if I can do it anybody can!! Computers are like women, too many buttons, and I seem to push the wrong ones all of the time!! LOL!!

like what you had to say about women very true