Thread: Brake Line Help!!!

Default Brake Line Help!!!

Hey everyone, I was installing my lift kit today and I came into a problem when installing the longer brake hose in the back. The nut on the metal brake lines that connect to the hose block stripped. So my understanding is that I now have to replace the whole metal line. Where I can I get these??? No auto stores have them (Zone, Advance, Oreilly's). I need these ASAP! Just to clarify, it's the steel lines that run along the axle and connect to the brake drum. And yes, I've already been to the junk yard. Thanks for your help!

Default Re: Brake Line Help!!!

Vise grips will help get that line off and i would spray a little penetrant on there as well to get things loose.But it sounds like the fitting is toast.
    You do have a couple options on fixing that. Either will require a couple special tools but at least one can be "rented" through auto parts stores like Autozone.

Okay, if there is enough length to simply cut off the end and reflare it with a new fitting that will be simple enough. There are some really good videos on YouTube on double flares, which is the kind you will need to perform on the end... AFTER PUTTING THE FITTING ON THE LINE! You will need a tubing cutter, and a double flaring tool. Now, in case you don't have the length require to reach the block after reflaring you will need to get a new line. For this most likely you won't find a pre-bent direct fit part locally. You may be able to find someone to make one but its really very easy to bend your own. A brake line bender will also be required in addition to the other tools mentioned earlier. Depending on which side is tweaked this will be quite easy or a little time consuming but still easy. The drivers side is approximately 19" long but a 20" is what the auto parts will have in stock and will work fine. I am forgetting the length of the passengers side at the moment but simply following along the line with a string and measuring its length will do the trick. I do remember it isn't an easy size to find so get the next size up and cut down one of the ends. The bending process with take a little bit of time and you don't want to rush it. Never kink the line, and if you do kink it, don't bother with that one and get a new one, it will break. If you can use the original to model it after will help. If not, make a bend, test fit it, make another, test, you get the process. You will have to make numerous tweaks to get it just right, and note exactly where the original is located and where the bends are placed. This does take time but thankfully the line costs only 10 for both if i remember correctly. Good luck and be sure to post up any issues.

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.
    Last edited by XJ Wheeler; 06-20-2014 at 02:21 AM.

--- Oh Never Mind ! I was away tripping on life.
    Last edited by slvmart; 06-20-2014 at 06:35 AM.

lol. a line wrench is always first choice until it brakes or something dumb happens then vice grips. man i hate brake lines
    glad you got it figured out.