Thread: Modifying power windows

Default Modifying power windows

I used to own a 1985 BMW 325e (e30) and it may have had the best power windows Ive ever used. Each switch was replaceable, I had an in dash circuit breaker and I liked the switches being in the middle of the car. I have found the wiring schematic for the 4 door system and was wondering if it wouldnt be too annoying to do the swap wiring wise? Figure I can use the switch for the sunroof for a power antenna? Im pretty sure all window motors care about is seeing 12V and I have all the parts to do it already less the wire.
    There are no rocks, log trails or public land here so I’m building a mall crawler... Dawn of the Dead style!!!

Default Re: Modifying power windows

My question is : Why ? Unless you are really bored and need a challenge. I'm pretty sure that the price of a replacement BMW window motor is way more than what is in the XJ. And knowing BMW window hardware from the era, they will eventually go bad. Of course, so do the one in our XJ's.

Bored, YES My widow switch only works from the drivers side and this seems a cheaper fix than replacing this XJ OEM switch, as I already have the e30 parts(thank you ebay for becoming seller unfriendly) I think the BMW motor wants 12V same as the one currently living in the XJ. When I worked in the Toyota/Nissan/Cadillac/Dodge body shop we used a jump start pack to move windows of doors removed from cars.
    There are no rocks, log trails or public land here so I’m building a mall crawler... Dawn of the Dead style!!!

A completely new Drivers Door Module (had to edit or it would have been like your widow switch), with all the switches costs about 70. And it's plug and play. If you can't afford that then there are several threads on the site that will walk you through fixing the cold solder joint(s) that are most likely causing your problem.
    Last edited by slvmart; 05-27-2014 at 09:33 AM.