Thread: Valve job

Default Valve job

Finished putting my engine back together this am after doing valve job. I questioned myself about doing valves on engine with 3000k plus miles but it but it doesn't smoke, overheat or make any strange sounds, pulled it apart I was amazed, no carbon,ring groove,sludge or signs of wear just two intake valves leaking.I took the valves and head to local machine shop they ground the valves and seats and magnifluxed the head, no cracks,I hand lapped the valves and put it back together with FELPRO gaskets after roadtest I was very pleased with performance and my self after all I am 74 years old and wore out I do have a couple of things you can do to make it easier for anyone doing this job first cut off the stud top on that rear head bolt with the ground wire on it [put ground on bolt beside it] this way you can get an impact socket on it and the torque wrench, next when putting manifolds back put the two end exhaust manifold bolts in and tighten them [don't forget the gasket] on the intake slot the two bottom dowel pin holes this way you can start those invisible bottom bolts,slide the manifold down over the dowels and bolts continue installation, an ac in the garage and plenty of time made this job go rather easy. CURT

Default Re: Valve job

Glad everything worked out good for you... I know it is nice to be able to save some bucks by not having to pay a shop to do something you can do yourself or at least attempt it before giving in.. Not to mention the self satisfaction of knowing you did it yourself... How about moving that head though... That thing is a beast that has some weight behind it.. I was very surprised when I pulled the head off my friends 90 XJ when we swapped the engine out of it.. I think next time I'll make use of an engine hoist to lift that thing, and not give myself a hernia!! How much did you end up spending all together to do the valve job on your head??
    FORMER GREEN XJ CLUB MEMBER
    IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM!!
    DOING SOMETHING JUST BECAUSE YOUR BUDDY DOES IT THAT WAY MAKES AS MUCH SENSE AS SHARING TOOTHBRUSHES

I am very fortunate to a friend with a huge upper body who lays pavers for a living. he reached over the fender,picked that 65 lb head up like I would a cold beer and put it back the same way.thank GOD for friends, CURT

Ahh yeah, that would def be a blessing for that job for sure... The Jeep I did it on, had 4+" of lift and 35's... so not too easy to do it that way.. but found that standing on the top of the fenders made it a little easier.. lol.. I wouldn't have done it if the XJ was in better shape (like say my 98 was)...
    Last edited by bluedragon436; 07-24-2014 at 12:03 PM.
    FORMER GREEN XJ CLUB MEMBER
    IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM!!
    DOING SOMETHING JUST BECAUSE YOUR BUDDY DOES IT THAT WAY MAKES AS MUCH SENSE AS SHARING TOOTHBRUSHES