Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Chats

Default Re: Everything I want to do is illegal

Quote Originally Posted by 4.3LXJ View Post
    Yup, the government has gotten out of hand. There are some good things that the gov can and should do. Run schools, fire protection etc. But it has expanded so much now and gotten tyrannical in the last few years
    Run Schools?
    So they can train your kids to do what the Government wants & think you are ignorant of the "Current World"?

Read up on Common Core. They put Islam studies in the curriculum (Because Islam is a race) But Christian is not ok because its religion?

Don't believe me?
    http://bradleycountynews.wordpress.c...will-of-allah/

Be very careful what you wish for... You might get it!
    Bob, KJ5XJ
    1992 XJ
    4.0L, AW4, NP231, Bridgestone All terrain LT 32"
    Safari Rack, Bushwacker flairs, Bed-liner for paint
    Yup! That's my Beautiful baby!
    If you're not on ...

Chats

As a former teacher, I don't agree with common core. I did say they have gotten out of hand. But, taxes do pay for schools, unless you want to go private which is far better, but far more expensive. Actually, home schooling is preferred above all others. But that is something that only a few can pull off nowadays
    230 hp 4.3L Chevy
    Built 4L60E with manual lockout
    Atlas 4 speed
    Griffin radiator
    On board air
    Warn 9.5ti on custom bumper
    7.5" RE front and bastard pack rear on custom long arms
    30 gal gas tank
    lockers
    And a bunch of other stuff

Chats

Quote Originally Posted by 07Negative View Post
    If you follow any Youtube Channels. This is one to be followed. I love Mark & his family. He's gone through some junk with local government. He's a vet and a midwestern guy.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/bakersgreenacres/videos
    I have the perfect cure for your woes, 07Negative...
    Move to Texas!

Or motivate your fellow Californians to VOTE OUT THE TRASH!
    Bob, KJ5XJ
    1992 XJ
    If you're not on ...

abebehrmann is offline Level: Uber Jeep Cherokee Trailer Queen
    Chats

Quote Originally Posted by OldFaurt View Post
    Run Schools?
    So they can train your kids to do what the Government wants & think you are ignorant of the "Current World"?

Read up on Common Core. They put Islam studies in the curriculum (Because Islam is a race) But Christian is not ok because its religion?

Don't believe me?
    http://bradleycountynews.wordpress.c...will-of-allah/

Be very careful what you wish for... You might get it!
    Honestly, I thought common core math was ridiculous when I first looked at it too. But then my sister explained it to me and it really does make sense. Here is an article that lays out pretty clearly why it is taught this way.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendl...s-on-facebook/

I think the main problem is they haven't really come up with a solid plan to explain this to parents, so when their kids come to them for homework help they get frustrated and tell the kid to just do it the way they know how and the kid ends up getting a bad grade.

Chats

How can a simple concept, made difficult, not confuse kids ? This is a perfect example of why our education systems are failing and our kids don't learn the basics. Or for that matter, how can we expect kids in Grade school to use advanced Logic, to explain simple concepts? Yes, some things we just take at face value and hopefully, memorize. When you go back at a later time you can analyze the crap out of it, and find that yes, it was so. Making it more complex to understand, won't help. Rote memorization was something that was part of going to school. Although in the last 25 years, that seems to be MIA. And I dare say, we had a better grasp of math, and perhaps other subjects, because of it.

On a separate note, Islam is a religion and is comprised of many (ethnic groups) races (Arabs, Persians, Caucasians, Africans, Asians, etc.)

And Atheism is also a religion, as it is the belief that there is no God, which is the definition makes it a Religion.

Sorry, end of soliloquy.
    Last edited by slvmart; 11-19-2014 at 09:51 AM.

abebehrmann is offline Level: Uber Jeep Cherokee Trailer Queen
    Chats

I think it only seems more difficult because you weren't taught this way. Most people already know most common core math principles they just don't realize it. Say you were working a cash register and something was 76.50 and the customer handed you 100, would you do this calculation in your head?:
    =23.50
    I would have to take out a piece of paper because that sort of thing is hard to do in your head with all the crossing out and carrying of numbers. When I have to do that sort of thing I think, "OK, +3.50 brings me up to 80 and 20 more brings me to 100 so the change would be 3.50+20=23.50."

Chats

Great thread. I am from IL and grew up farming, still help farm but my occupation is building hog & cattle confinement and growing facilities. You wanna talk about red tape!? Boys, the crap we deal with on a daily basis from the gov't is stupid. Then there's the animal rights people...oy vey. And you want to find guys that will work hard? Ha, not Americans. Lazy, pussified, pieces of crap they are. Makes me ashamed to think of where this once great nation has fallen too. When my grandfathers family immigrated here from Croatia, they were POOR. But my grandfather worked hard and went to Eastern IL U. Thats right, the son of non English speaking immigrants went to college when it meant something, worked hard to make a way for his children, who busted ass to make a way for me to work my guts out for my children! My mom made my clothes until I was in jr. high so that we could live within our means. I don't have cable or satellite or a new vehicle so my kids can live comfortably in our means of income. We homeschool because, lets face it, the gov't could screw up a wet dream and our educational system reflects that. Believe me, my kids are better behaved than most adults and that comes from the massive amounts of time we spend with them teaching them. I have my B.S. in Criminal Justice but in no way do I believe that college means much any more. Its just an excuse for more immature jackasses to go out and get wasted, living in sin on their parents dime. If my children want to go to college, fine but it will actually be for a purpose or not at all. Oh, and as most of you know, I'm partially disabled from a bad accident 9 years ago. My left arm gone, bad hip, left leg 1.25" short with a 13" titanium tube in it. I work my butt off in the Ag industry for 70+ hours a week while we are taxed out of our minds to support a bunch of lowlife, lazy pieces of dirt and meanwhile people like me do without. Oh, and lets talk about how I liked my health coverage and how it suited my family but now I can't keep it. I'm seriously fed up and will probably run in my local elections next time around. IMHO, its time to lock an load boys, take this great nation back.
    My build; Project ASAT (All Seasons, All Terrain)-http://www.xjtalk.com/showthread.php?t=16793

My faith in Christ does not make me perfect or better, just forgiven!

Chats

No, most people of my generations aren't quite that limited in their math skills. It used to be pretty normal for people to do simple math in their head. Doing logic problems, when unnecessary, is definitely more taxing. It makes no sense, unless you don't know your math and complicating the subject seems easier to you.
    I think we can take making change at a cash register as a prime indication. My folks used to own a store. We all had to do that basic math at every sale, while using the cash register, when we were in Grade School. Problem today, other than not having the basic math skills, is that people rely so much on the "tools" that without the register telling them what the change is, they would be lost.
    OneArm, I think I can relate. My parents came over here when I was 6, long road starting with Munich in '38. Had 3 suitcases for the 4 of us. Back then, the only excuse for not making a decent living was if you had some sort of issue, or just didn't try hard enough.
    Now Government is stepping in and making everything difficult. Be it Common Core or regulations for the sake of regulating, but benefiting no one but a growing Government.

Chats

The methods may be excessive but just for comparison this is in Japan. And yes, this is a "tool" but many of these kids will go on to learn how to do mental math using a "mental" tool.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIiDomlEjJw#t=64"]Amazing Abacus Math Video - YouTube[/ame]

Maybe I'm Jaded because my son was in Grade School when they came out with a new technique call "Whole Language", that proved to be a real fiasco and made English a major difficulty for many of the kids exposed to it.

Instead of looking for the LCD of education, our educators need to learn what the best in class techniques that are used by the rest of the world. And yes, I do blame the decline of education, in the US, on the Teachers Unions. They have made teaching about the teachers, instead of about the kids and the future.

Chats

Quote Originally Posted by abebehrmann View Post
    Honestly, I thought common core math was ridiculous when I first looked at it too. But then my sister explained it to me and it really does make sense. Here is an article that lays out pretty clearly why it is taught this way.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendl...s-on-facebook/

I think the main problem is they haven't really come up with a solid plan to explain this to parents, so when their kids come to them for homework help they get frustrated and tell the kid to just do it the way they know how and the kid ends up getting a bad grade.
    My wife was a teacher in California when they started to work out the kinks,
    Before she died, she told me some of the "Conversations" she had been in...
    They are teaching children to be good low end workers, ever notice where politicians send their kids?

You Don't Want Common Core,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=tbtZsOjBfH8
    Bob, KJ5XJ
    1992 XJ
    If you're not on ...

Chats

i agree with no common core.both my daughters had do use the lattice method when learning multiplication and division.They both had problems with it.Now get this...i showed them both how to do long divison and multiplication,the supposedly harder way to do things and they both got it no problem.The oldest went to school and was doing her math problems the way i showed her and the teacher told her she was wrong.not the answer mid you the method.So i emailed the teacher and asked her why my daughter was wrong..because she used her mind?I was told that that is not the way it is taught now,and i thanked her for trying to dumb down my children.Different people learn things differnt ways some people need more help learning a concept or idea than others..i get that some times i need alittle extra time to wrap my head around an idea.But the brain is the best computer in the world..we need to teach people how to use it. And by the way my younger daughter was diagnosed with learning difficultys when she was four and was in LIU which in PA is a program to help mentally challenged or children with disabilitys.MY wife and i never let her use this as an excuse and always challenged her.Was it frustrating for all of us at times..yes,but now she is in regular classes taking AP classes and has a 4.29 GPA.

Chats

Removed .. somehow double posted this, while editing.
    Last edited by slvmart; 11-20-2014 at 06:26 AM.

Chats

Autotech98. Exactly ! Couldn't agree more. I would just add, not a pun, that if the school is that set on methods, find another school. Not always possible, I know.

My son was no scholar. Much to my wife's chagrin. Not that he wasn't smart, he just didn't care for school, any school. When they were learning about lines, you know : y=mx+b (slope & intercept and all that good stuff) he was really struggling. I sat him down, and he didn't want to cooperate. I guess I must have really tortured him (not literally, of course), he finally gave in and in 1/2 hr. I had him figuring out the formulas just by drawing the line on graph paper.

100% that schools try to hard to teach to the Lowest Common Denominator. So they totally dumb thing down for everyone. This would have bored the crap out of me in Grade and High school where math was my thing.

These days my son drives a truck. He used to say he hated math. Always reminded him that you need math in everything you do in life.

Chats

Amen..mine were the same way about stuff. 1 hour fight to get them to sit down and do 20 min of homework.They finally saw that if they sat down and got it overwith...correctly and not rushing that they had more time to do the other stuff they wanted to do

07Negative is offline Level: Uber Jeep Cherokee Trailer Queen
    Chats

Quote Originally Posted by OldFaurt View Post
    I have the perfect cure for your woes, 07Negative...
    Move to Texas!

Or motivate your fellow Californians to VOTE OUT THE TRASH!
    No offense, but no thanks on Texas. It's got too many Californians there. Much of whom have brought their politics with. It's also too much of a desert as well. Air quality is really poor in much of the state. And I'm not sure if my non god fearing would go over well. Not sure how pushy it is there. I lived in Corpus for a short time years ago. It was cool and I enjoy visiting the state. Love the lax gun laws. But the place is just not for me. The midwest is my home and calling. I just want to farm again honestly.

In regards to common core. It was mainly funded by the Gates foundation. And the knuckle heads that came up with this idear, where non educators. And they even pushed out educators they had recruited, bc they called bs.

I know this is a long video for many. But watch it and learn.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Si-kx5-MKSE

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123