Thread: **exhaust question**

Default **exhaust question**

hello all, i have a stock 1995 jeep cherokee country XJ and was wanting to put in a flowmaster 40 series muffler...im ordering it online but im confused about dimensions being in spec to fit correctly. what is the stock specs for OEM muffler?? since im ordering online i would like to be sure to get the correct one and save time guessing..ive googled but got alot of different results. thanks!
    also for california are 40 series mufflers legal?? if anyone knows?

Default Re: **exhaust question**

I purchased a FM 40 series muffler with my 2.5" exhaust through Rusty's Offroad for my 98XJ, and it fit perfectly in place of the original unit.. According to their site, they said the exhaust can be installed on all years of XJ's... so I would think you should be good for replacing your factory unit with one.. I plan on purchasing the same kit for my recently purchased 90XJ.. so I guess I'll soon find out for sure..

As far as California I think that the FM mufflers are CARB legal, but don't quote me on that.. From what I've been able to find online the FM mufflers are CARB legal, and you should be fine so long as your exhaust doesn't exceed 95ish decibels.. which I know mine was under that with a brand new stock replacement cat, and 2.5" piping back from the cat, so you should be good, so long as you still have the cat and everything installed... But hopefully some of our knowledgable CA folks will chime in here shortly to correct me if I'm wrong, before you get stuck with a fine or waste of money...
    FORMER GREEN XJ CLUB MEMBER
    IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM!!
    DOING SOMETHING JUST BECAUSE YOUR BUDDY DOES IT THAT WAY MAKES AS MUCH SENSE AS SHARING TOOTHBRUSHES

thanks i appreciate it... so will i need a muffler with inlet & outlet to be 2.25" or 2.50"?? should the muffler slide in the exhaust or slide over the exhaust?

I don't remember what the stock mufflers look like. But you need first go get a 2 1/4" inlet and outlet. Then you need to know if it needs to be center in and side out or side in and center out. Generally a stock muffler is center in. But I don't know for sure. After that match length.
    230 hp 4.3L Chevy
    Built 4L60E with manual lockout
    Atlas 4 speed
    Griffin radiator
    On board air
    Warn 9.5ti on custom bumper
    7.5" RE front and bastard pack rear on custom long arms
    30 gal gas tank
    lockers
    And a bunch of other stuff