Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Chats

Default Atlas 4 speed install

I am finally getting enough of this install done that I am ready to start posting on the install. When I set out to build my XJ, I wanted a vehicle that would be good as a daily driver and awesome on trails, sand, snow, rocks and mud. That is a tall order. I wheel in all those situations, and travel many mile sometimes to get there. That means I need good highway gears. One of the reasons I chose the 4.3L V6 is that I wanted to retain 6 cylinder milage. I will be putting some extra horsepower in the engine at a later date, somewhere around 320 SNOG LEGAL ponies under the hood. This build was somewhat preparatory for that event. But if I retain highway gears, then to gain good off road capability I need some real deep gears in the transfer case and transmission. The transmission is a 4L60E that I rebuilt with all the heavy duty stuff you need to make it reliable for big horsepower. I got to measuring and determined that since the engine and transmission are forward of the 4.0L/AW4 position, I could fit an Atlas 4 speed in there and accomplish what I wanted. The other choice would have been a Stack 3 speed.

So starting with the engine out, I did a tranny repair and built a new exhaust system with 50 state legal headers and a 2 1/4" Y pipe feeding a three inch cat and muffler.

At the same time, I wanted to clock the transfer case. With a 231 this would not be a problem since they only weigh 63# But the Atlas weighs in at over 175#. I just didn't feel like pushing it up a half dozen times to determine its position and change the stud position several times.

And of course I had a little help with this project.

So I filled it with oil and put it up. I had to hit the floor boards a few times with the big hammer to clear the rear shift rail guides. But since it is under the drivers seat it is completely unnoticeable.

One thing you will notice is that there is some really tall and weird looking shift linkage. The folks at Advance adapters seem to think that these things only go into fully dedicated trail rigs without consoles. I wanted to retain the factory console and have it all look nice. I should be done with it Sunday and I will post more on that later.
    Last edited by 4.3LXJ; 10-09-2009 at 02:51 AM.

Chats

Man, that is a nice set up, except for the Atlas case!! I tell you what, send that piece of junk my way, and I'll get rid of it for you!!

kryptonitexj Guest

Great build. The 4.3 is identical to the 5.7 minus 2 cylinders it has great power potential. the 4L60E doesn't have the greatest rep. for durability. But with a LARGE fluid cooler you might be ok. What up grades have you done to the tranny? I look forward to watching this build keep it going. And great choice on the atlas I wish I had the money to get one.

Chats

Quote Originally Posted by kryptonitexj View Post
    Great build. The 4.3 is identical to the 5.7 minus 2 cylinders it has great power potential. the 4L60E doesn't have the greatest rep. for durability. But with a LARGE fluid cooler you might be ok. What up grades have you done to the tranny? I look forward to watching this build keep it going. And great choice on the atlas I wish I had the money to get one.
    I got a kit from Summit Racing that had kevlar bands and heavy duty clutches. Then the tail shaft, a known weak point in them is from Advance Adapters and is much heavier that stock. There is a thingy, I don't know what it is called that looks like a tall crown that holds three of the planetaries that I upgraded at the local tranny shop. Then I am running Redline high temp synthetic oil. the coolling set up is for another thread. We'll do that later.

Chats

Quote Originally Posted by COSXJFAN View Post
    Man, that is a nice set up, except for the Atlas case!! I tell you what, send that piece of junk my way, and I'll get rid of it for you!!
    And make me go back to my 231? Besides it won't fit unless you move your tranny forward.

Chats

I would NEVER think of putting that P.O.S. in my XJ!! (SARCASM!!)

I was going to...UHHMM...recycle the aluminum, that's it yeah!!

LOL!!! Jealousy is a BIIAATCH!!

Chats

So how do you replace a NP231/242 with an Atlas? Fab it in?

Chats

looks good. how is the trany temp going to be with that header going under the jeep right next to the trany is in not going to get to hot?
    01, Tera Flex 6" long arm kit, jks quick disco's,jks bar pin eliminators, Fox 2.0 shocks I won for 5 bucks, Tom woods Sye with rear drive shaft, Tera flex rear disc brakes, custom front bumper, customer rear bumper, rage roof rack. H4 head lights, k&n intake and cone, black steelies with 285x75x16 retreads, metal gas skid. Finally I have a nice jeep no more pos.
    .,=====o00
    //___l__,\____\,___
    l_--- \___l----[]lllllll[]
    _(o)_)___(o)_)--o-)_

Chats

Quote Originally Posted by COSXJFAN View Post
    I would NEVER think of putting that P.O.S. in my XJ!! (SARCASM!!)

I was going to...UHHMM...recycle the aluminum, that's it yeah!!

LOL!!! Jealousy is a BIIAATCH!!
    I will give you the going scrap price for one. We'll put it in my son's YJ.

Chats

Quote Originally Posted by Mudderoy View Post
    So how do you replace a NP231/242 with an Atlas? Fab it in?
    In a way, there is a lot of work that has to be done. In reality, unless you have done a chevy conversion, or you have the shorter AX 15, you can't put the 4 speed in without hacking up the floor boards. But you can put the two speed in. if you want multiple speeds, the Stack 3 speed will fit behind the AW4.

As far as bolting up the tcase, that was not hard. I had to shorten the output shaft a little because it was too long for the input. The hardest part has ben the linkage. I have spent weeks on it so that it will blend with the console and look almost factory.

Chats

Quote Originally Posted by alwaysxj View Post
    looks good. how is the trany temp going to be with that header going under the jeep right next to the trany is in not going to get to hot?
    Currently it is wrapped. The deep pan is also finned on the bottom and I have a killer tranny cooler on it, but that will be for another post. Also, I have the lock up on a thumb switch, which you will see in the next set of pics. I will be able to use the auto like a standard tranny with the deep gears and let it idle its way through with very little heat buildup.

Chats

Looking forward to more pics. Have you got any with the linkage alterations? That would be the most interesting to me.
    Hey bubba get your hand off my ass,

Some days it is just not worth it to gnaw through the leather restraints.

R.I.P. Brian 96_XJ Perrine 1990-2011

Chats

Quote Originally Posted by BlueXJ View Post
    Looking forward to more pics. Have you got any with the linkage alterations? That would be the most interesting to me.
    You have to wait. I will install the console Sunday. Then I will show the rest of the pics

Chats

Little further update. I took some more pics today, but I will finish the console tomorrow.

I picked up a handy little addition. This disc parking brake is from and outfit called Parts Mike. It turns out they are just a couple of miles from my boys in someplace you never heard of. Anyway, I dropped in to visit and had a good tome with these old boys. They have been at this longer than I have and have a couple of real nice rigs. The TJ has the same drive train I do, basically. 3.8L supercharged Buick V6, 4L60E and the same Atlas 4 speed. He said he really pisses everybody off following him while idling down hill in the slow gears at Moab. LOL

Here it is installed.

I said the linkage gave me fits. I did not like the stuff that came from AA because it would destroy the console. I happen to like the console, and my wife would hate the way it looks now. Beauty she says, beauty.... So I fabbed up this set of shifters to bolt into the tunnel the same way the stock one does.

And here is what it looks like installed

And under neath.

Tomarrow I will finish the console and do what my wife says for a change. Beauty....

Chats

Icon10

Well, I finally got the console in. There are a couple of details to take care of like the wires of the thumb switch, but that will be for another day.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast