Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Turning people away from xjt?

Default Re: Turning people away from xjt?

Being active on several other forums which allow members of all ages, having an age limit isn't a terrible idea. With the younger kids you get a lot of unnecessary rif raf. But there are a lot of 16 year olds out there driving Jeeps who I think deserve to be a part of a good XJ community such as this one. If I had tried to join this when I got my XJ at 17 I wouldn't have been able to. I talk to a lot of the moderators on a large dirt bike forum and I have never heard of any problems with allowing 13+. Same for a smaller dirt bike forum which resembles XJ Talk but for dirt bikes.

I myself was saddened when I read the post telling the young man that he could not be here until he was 18. Especially after reading that he was bullied off CF. I myself started wrenching at 14 or 15 , I would have been so happy to have had a place to go with older experienced people to help me with my projects. I do not feel its right to add 5 yrs to what is out there to protect children on the internet. I would suggest a special log in and avatar maybe to show he is under 18 and restrict him to certain forms until he becomes of age. We do a similar thing here in Ca. in regards to licenses , you can tell if there under age just by the way it is printed. But to discourage someone looking for knowledge and help I feel is wrong and against what we all love. I am all for protecting kids on the internet and have discouraged even my older kids from using FB. But I was under the impression we were a family site and think we should keep it that way. Ok I'm done.
    Aint got no whistle, don't belch out smoke, but my V10 aint no joke !!!

nickyg is offline Level: Uber Jeep Cherokee Trailer Queen

RIGHT ON MARK. I too had to make my own repairs, "Your car ,Your problem" was my fathers motto. I wish I had access to all the information we have now. it would've saved me a lot of skin

I hope the young man is on the site reading up on all he can and sees the amount of support he already has. I look forward to hearing from him in a few years.

And kudos to him for being honest about his age.
    One more part and I'll have a new Jeep

I agree. 16 would be a much better limit. I'm sorry, but I have never seen anything on this site that I would not allow my kids to see. This is one of the "nice" sites out there. CF did treat him the wrong way. He came on there a little too eager and they could have taught him the right way to do things. But, they stooped to a 16 yo mentality and ran him off. My son does all his own work and will research what he needs on forums.

Leave this a family forum and allow the kids a chance to prove themselves. If they get out of control, then ban them.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

While I agree with everyones comments about the age limit I understand where Tony is coming from. This is where we've ended up in America, heck you can't even risk being alone with a kid (male or female) if they are not your own blood.

This "new USA" is what the majority has voted for over the last 3 or 4 decades, now we have to live with it!

98 Cherokee Sport,
    Build thread:http://www.xjtalk.com/showthread.php?t=5172

Some big gnarly rock crawler thingy.
    Build thread:http://www.xjtalk.com/showthread.php?t=16616

My offroad Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Team-...75944179170166

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12