Thread: Status Report of Lenny (my '99 XJ)

Default Status Report of Lenny (my '99 XJ)

So I finally have Lenny in my possession, which is bad ass. She is in overall great shape. THere seems to be a large list of "little" things that need to be tended to:
    Interior/cosmetics
    -the dome light above the rear view is missing (looking for one of those)
    -the cabin dome light cover is missing
    - the manual window handle keeps falling off, (looking for a clamp to keep that from falling off all the time
    - the rear wiper motor doesn't work, but the motor can be heard running. It really just seems like it doesn't have enough umf.
    - And I seem to only have two speakers, one of which doesn't work. Gonna have to fix that.

Things that seem more serious.
    -the transmission fluid is very dark brown, which is not good, working on getting that flushed the first chance I get.
    -there is a loud squeaking noise coming from the hood, it sounds like it might be a belt. It only squeaks when the defroster is on, so maybe a/c? associated?
    -the power steering seems to hiss a bit when turning, probably could use a fluid change.

-***this is my largest concern*** and I have a couple ideas as to what it might be but am not too sure. There is a loud clanking noise that comes from the front end of the XJ when I hit a pothole, or or any related jolt to the vehicle. I have read around and think it might just be a bad shock (or two), or possible a bushing that is out? It is a loud, metal on metal type of sound, kind of like the dropping a wrench on metal, not sure what the deal is. Any help is appreciated.

All in all, I have some great little projects ahead of me, and CANNOT WAIT!!!

Also, filled up for the first time, i registered 19.4 mpg on mostly highway driving, I am impressed. Tons of fun to drive as well.

Any help or suggestions appreciated, as well as a good place to buy XJ parts and such. Thanks
    Last edited by GR33N_Ophelia; 12-08-2013 at 06:03 PM.

Default Re: Status Report of Lenny (my '99 XJ)

You just need to check all the rubber bushings on that first. They wear out and can cause that. Shocks, control arm links and track bar bushing
    230 hp 4.3L Chevy
    Built 4L60E with manual lockout
    Atlas 4 speed
    Griffin radiator
    On board air
    Warn 9.5ti on custom bumper
    7.5" RE front and bastard pack rear on custom long arms
    30 gal gas tank
    lockers
    And a bunch of other stuff

The XJ has a serpentine belt, so no separate belt that runs the a/c and alternator, etc., so if you have belt noise when the defroster is on (thus the ac clutch is engaged) your bearings in the compressor may be going out causing more strain on the belt, the clutch/pulley could be locking up too... or the belt could just need a bit more tightening.

The interior cosmetics can be found at the junk yard, as well as a new rear wiper motor. Although, I would suggest popping the wiper arm off and making sure the teeth aren't stripped first and that everything is tight.

Be careful flushing the transmission fluid, there could be some material in that fluid that is keeping the trans from slipping. I suggest only changing out half of it first, and going from there.

As for the clanking, what 4.3lxj said
    Last edited by Brasscatz; 12-08-2013 at 07:01 PM.

Thanks! Awesome advice, I will have to find a local junkyard.

Where do I find replacement bushings? I'd prefer to get those new.

I've never personally looked for them, but I would assume an auto parts store would have them

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 because my microwave couldn't do it