Thread: running gear with abs

Default running gear with abs

Will I'm getting ready to start biulding my axles but I have a 2000 with a dana 30 front and a dana 35 in the rear. and to top it off ABS. my quition is if i change out the 35 for something als is there something outthere that will work that is better than the 35 with c clip and work with the ABS. if not do i have to gut the breaking system and start over and would i have to find a computer out of a xj that doesn't have ABS? I have axes to several axle I'm thinking dana 44 in the rear and I can get one from a grand cherokee and change it over and it has ABS.But I don't know if the ABS will match and work right.now why stay with ABS will the wife is willng to lot me do what ever I want with it as long as it can be driven on the road and if she drives it there is no weird effect. any help would be nice so I don't wast money thank you.

Default Re: running gear with abs

Never really put ABS and axle swap together. I would also like to know since I am thinking of swapping out my Dana LP30 and Dana 35c out for a Dana 30 HP and Dana 44/C8.25.
    US Army 2005 - 2014
    US Army Reserves 2014 - Present

2001 XJ Limited 4dr I6 Auto.

"Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!"

Capt. John Parker, Lexington militia

I have been told both ways some people said change it out and leve the old break system and pull the light bulb on the ABS and just ignore the trouble code. But there is the otherside that said it will send trouble codes and the computer will try to do somthing by change vacuum and voltage that will slowly affect other things after awile. So I'm just trying to cover the bases before I oper a big can of worms.

Problem is all the abs models had Dana 35s, and all 8.25/44 equipped XJs aren't. And i don't think fitting it to one of those axles would be feasible. The 44 out of a grand cherokee isn't much of an option either because its got all the brackets for coil suspension and has a weak aluminum center section that is also hard to get parts for.

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

Thanks on the inf. on the GC so I will lot it go. Do you know what I might have to change out if I go with out abs like computer wiring how about roters and calapers booster?

My ABS stopped working 5 years ago. I pulled the bulb out of the dash so I wouldn't have to look at it. There has been NO side effects except for the ABS not working. Which was crap anyway.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

I agree I do not like ABS and if it was real good how come they didn't put it on the xj's with the towing parage. but I was told that the extra junk that abs uses affect the breaks alittle. If so then upgrade on the breaks is needed.

I haven't messed with that ABS. However you will find that the best changeover will occur with the D44. You will have to change over your old stuff to it. Backing plate and drum should bolt up with a little minor modification in the hole in the plate
    230 hp 4.3L Chevy
    Built 4L60E with manual lockout
    Atlas 4 speed
    Griffin radiator
    On board air
    Warn 9.5ti on custom bumper
    7.5" RE front and bastard pack rear on custom long arms
    30 gal gas tank
    lockers
    And a bunch of other stuff