Chats

Default How to fix ovaled out track bar mounts

It happens to a lot of us sooner or later. The holes on the axle track bar mount become oval instead of round. Then you keep getting death wobble.

The only way to fix it is to add some steel. Here is a way to do that and make it so much beefier.

First take a dremel or die grinder with a cut off wheel and cut off the outside flange.

Then enlarge the original bolt hole. I used a 7/8" drill bit for this

Now you need to make a new piece for this space. I used some scrap 2X4X3/16" rectangular tubing, or you can use a small 3" piece of 2X2X3/16" square tubing. Cut off the excess 1 5/8" from the edge and mark it 1 1/4" from the factory edge and 1 1/2" from the end.

Drilling a pilot hole is real handy for this. It is necessary to make this as straight as possible and the final hole has to be 3/8" so the bolt will fit tight in the metal and bushing.

The backside outer edge where the sway bar mount needs to be notched.

Next tack weld a nut on the back side. I used a self locking nut here. We don't want it to work loose again. Line it up with a bolt through both holes. This is a tack weld, not structural. It needs to fit in that large hole you drilled in the old bracket.

Next check the fit and weld it into place.

Next, install the track bar. If you measured correctly, your steering wheel will be exactly as it was before. If not, it is easily adjusted to be centered again
    230 hp 4.3L Chevy
    Built 4L60E with manual lockout
    Atlas 4 speed
    Griffin radiator
    On board air
    Warn 9.5ti on custom bumper
    7.5" RE front and bastard pack rear on custom long arms
    30 gal gas tank
    lockers
    And a bunch of other stuff

Chats

Default Re: How to fix ovaled out track bar mounts

This is an extremely timely post. I just noticed that my track bar mount on the axle is badly cracked and is close to being completely free from the axle. Anyone know of a company that has a prefabbed mount? If not, I'll be building my own...which is probably the fastest solution. I'll post a picture of this mess next time I walk out to the XJ.

Chats

For a quick fix I normally weld a washer on to the mount and all is well
    Aint got no whistle, don't belch out smoke, but my V10 aint no joke !!!

Chats

Chats

Might need a little welding to fix
    230 hp 4.3L Chevy
    Built 4L60E with manual lockout
    Atlas 4 speed
    Griffin radiator
    On board air
    Warn 9.5ti on custom bumper
    7.5" RE front and bastard pack rear on custom long arms
    30 gal gas tank
    lockers
    And a bunch of other stuff

07Negative is offline Level: Uber Jeep Cherokee Trailer Queen
    Chats

My passenger side upper control arm bracket has done this (axle side). I just welded the bushing for a quick fix. Which means, it allows me to neglect the real fix. Is it just me, or do the Dremel cut off wheels suck? I had a packet of them. Something like 20 cut off wheels. They break really easy. I love the fact that you can get into tight places with them though.

Chats

Quote Originally Posted by 07Negative View Post
    My passenger side upper control arm bracket has done this (axle side). I just welded the bushing for a quick fix. Which means, it allows me to neglect the real fix. Is it just me, or do the Dremel cut off wheels suck? I had a packet of them. Something like 20 cut off wheels. They break really easy. I love the fact that you can get into tight places with them though.
    Try the reinforced wheels. They're expensive at only 5 for about 7, but I've never had one break.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00004UDH9?pc_redir=1"]Dremel 426 Fiberglass Reinforced Cut-Off Wheels 1- 1/4" Dia., .045" Thick, 5 Pack:Amazon:Home Improvement@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41Z0aZFjSNL.@@AMEPARAM@@41Z0aZFjSNL[/ame]

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.
    Last edited by XJ Wheeler; 11-08-2013 at 04:45 PM.

Chats

Quote Originally Posted by 4.3LXJ View Post
    It happens to a lot of us sooner or later. The holes on the axle track bar mount become oval instead of round. Then you keep getting death wobble.

The only way to fix it is to add some steel. Here is a way to do that and make it so much beefier.

First take a dremel or die grinder with a cut off wheel and cut off the outside flange.

Then enlarge the original bolt hole. I used a 7/8" drill bit for this

Now you need to make a new piece for this space. I used some scrap 2X4X3/16" rectangular tubing, or you can use a small 3" piece of 2X2X3/16" square tubing. Cut off the excess 1 5/8" from the edge and mark it 1 1/4" from the factory edge and 1 1/2" from the end.

Drilling a pilot hole is real handy for this. It is necessary to make this as straight as possible and the final hole has to be 3/8" so the bolt will fit tight in the metal and bushing.

The backside outer edge where the sway bar mount needs to be notched.

Next tack weld a nut on the back side. I used a self locking nut here. We don't want it to work loose again. Line it up with a bolt through both holes. This is a tack weld, not structural. It needs to fit in that large hole you drilled in the old bracket.

Next check the fit and weld it into place.

Next, install the track bar. If you measured correctly, your steering wheel will be exactly as it was before. If not, it is easily adjusted to be centered again
    Wow, Very nice job! I better check mine and be sure it is good or looks like yours!
    Bob, KJ5XJ
    1992 XJ
    4.0L, AW4, NP231, Bridgestone All terrain LT 32"
    Safari Rack, Bushwacker flairs, Bed-liner for paint
    Yup! That's my Beautiful baby!
    If you're not on ...