Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Chats

Default Transmission Dipstick Tube Leaking?

Alright, so when i was changing out my transmission mount a few weeks back i noticed some fluid on the trans dipstick tube. Now i have quite a few different leaks going but i think it may be leaking from the connection where the tube goes into the transmission pan. For the life of me i can't find any information about that connection anywhere. Is it an o-ring to seal it, welded together, or just holding together with hopes and dreams? I'm gonna be dropping the pan and changing out the trans fluid soon so i might as well replace the seal if i can.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1378242374318.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	44.4 KB 
ID:	3562

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

Chats

Default Re: Transmission Dipstick Tube Leaking?

I'm pretty sure it's a brazed connection.

Chats

Where it comes out of the pan its welded. Where it comes apart to drop the pan its just pressed in there without a o-ring....I think.

Chats

Okay, thanks guys. Now i really hope it isn't leaking there. Probably coming from one of the other leaks.

Chats

Quote Originally Posted by XJ Wheeler View Post
    Okay, thanks guys. Now i really hope it isn't leaking there. Probably coming from one of the other leaks.

I just recently changed my trans filter and my dipstick looked like that. I replaced the o-ring where they separate and now I don't leak. You will need to grease it when you put it back together.

Word of caution, I dropped my pan to replace the filter and when I bolted it back up I may have partially stripped one of the bolts near the rear of the transmission next to the mount bar since the angle was horrible. Go REALLY slow when putting those bolts back in. The bolts seem like they are made out of a harder marital than the transmission case.
    US Army 2005 - 2014
    US Army Reserves 2014 - Present

2001 XJ Limited 4dr I6 Auto.

"Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!"

Capt. John Parker, Lexington militia

Chats

Quote Originally Posted by ArmyGuy45 View Post
    I just recently changed my trans filter and my dipstick looked like that. I replaced the o-ring where they separate and now I don't leak. You will need to grease it when you put it back together.

Word of caution, I dropped my pan to replace the filter and when I bolted it back up I may have partially stripped one of the bolts near the rear of the transmission next to the mount bar since the angle was horrible. Go REALLY slow when putting those bolts back in. The bolts seem like they are made out of a harder marital than the transmission case.
    Thanks for the advice! I usually try to be careful when tightening into aluminum anyways but i'll take the extra, advised caution. First time dropping a trans pan for me. Studied up and ready to go.

Chats

That's good advice. The bolts at the rear are partially obscured by the trans cross-member, a swivel head comes in handy.

Quote Originally Posted by XJ Wheeler View Post
    Thanks for the advice! I usually try to be careful when tightening into aluminum anyways but i'll take the extra, advised caution. First time dropping a trans pan for me. Studied up and ready to go.

I changed my filter and trans fluid a couple months ago (first time for me, too). The most difficult part was threading the dipstick through all of that mess to get the pan out and back in. Just be patient and don't force anything, it does come out with the proper contortions. It took a little less than 8 pints (one gallon) to refill when I was done. My initial fill was 6 pints (I think), then I drove it about three miles, parked, ran the shifter through every gear with the engine running, put it in park (on level ground) and, with the engine still running, filled until both circular windows in the dipstick consistently had a film of trans fluid. It took almost two pints to get there. Good luck and have fun.

Chats

Quote Originally Posted by F1Addict View Post
    That's good advice. The bolts at the rear are partially obscured by the trans cross-member, a swivel head comes in handy.

I changed my filter and trans fluid a couple months ago (first time for me, too). The most difficult part was threading the dipstick through all of that mess to get the pan out and back in. Just be patient and don't force anything, it does come out with the proper contortions. It took a little less than 8 pints (one gallon) to refill when I was done. My initial fill was 6 pints (I think), then I drove it about three miles, parked, ran the shifter through every gear with the engine running, put it in park (on level ground) and, with the engine still running, filled until both circular windows in the dipstick consistently had a film of trans fluid. It took almost two pints to get there. Good luck and have fun.
    I was questioning how much it would need to refill anyway. So, thanks!

Chats

If I remember correctly, the level should be checked with it running at operating temp and the tranny in neutral instead of park

Chats

Quote Originally Posted by Brasscatz View Post
    If I remember correctly, the level should be checked with it running at operating temp and the tranny in neutral instead of park
    Neutral and I only added 5 qts so add a few and check it before adding more.
    Last edited by ArmyGuy45; 09-05-2013 at 11:02 AM.
    US Army 2005 - 2014

"Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!"

oderdene is offline Level: Uber Jeep Cherokee Trailer Queen
    Chats

Quote Originally Posted by Brasscatz View Post
    on my tranny dipstick, "hot level check idling in park". should I check when idling on N?
    '91 XJ Limited | 4.0 H.O. I6 | AW-4 | NP242J | D30 | C8.25 | BFG KM2 33x10.50x15 | front winch bumper ...

Chats

Quote Originally Posted by oderdene View Post
    on my tranny dipstick, "hot level check idling in park". should I check when idling on N?
    Mine says N, 2001 XJ, so I dont know if they changed it. Hayes manual says to check in N. Page 1-12
    Last edited by ArmyGuy45; 09-05-2013 at 01:06 PM.
    US Army 2005 - 2014

Chats

At some point they switched from Park to Neutral in the FSM. Mine says to check it in Park, as does my dipstick but I've got an old copy of the FSM and an even older copy of the XJ. I would guess that when the FSM switched to "Neutral" the factory had a surplus of "Park" dipsticks they wanted to get rid of.

My understanding is that there is no difference in the fluid level between N and P. In both positions the valve body and servos are doing the exact same thing, the only difference is the parking pawl which wouldn't affect the fluid level reading.

Chats

Neutral and I only added 5 qts so add a few and check it before adding more.
    That's a full quart more than what I needed to refill (8 pints). The amount you will need depends on many factors. Check the dipstick frequently to make sure you don't over-fill which is worse than under-filling.

Chats

Quote Originally Posted by F1Addict View Post
    That's a full quart more than what I needed to refill (8 pints). The amount you will need depends on many factors. Check the dipstick frequently to make sure you don't over-fill which is worse than under-filling.
    Opps, I thought I read yours as 8 qts. Sorry.
    US Army 2005 - 2014

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast