Thread: License plate light not working

cpttuna is offline Level: Uber Jeep Cherokee Trailer Queen

Default License plate light not working

on the 98 I just bought, I checked all the lights today. The license plate light did not work. it only took 2 hrs to get it fixed. I finally figured out I had no power to the the light. I decided to tap into the left parking light for a power source. Running a feeder wire around the liftgate and then trough the groummet was no easy task. i had to take one of those straight looking dental tools and 5 min epoxy a wire to one end. after getting the front part of the dental tool through the groummet, I pulled everything through with pliers. It also took a little time figuring which wire to splice into to. Bottom line, I fixed it w/o paying some mechanic .

Default Re: License plate light not working

Well good for you on saving the money.
    I am curious though on WHY that wire had no power.
    And are you sure that it was a lack of power and not a bad ground or something?
    If memory serves me correctly, most of the wiring junctions in the drivers rear quarter panel, ....In hindsight, I would have tried some trouble shooting there, and tracked down the underlying cause.
    Worst case, it could have been a broken wire, and you most likely woul dhave had a hell of a time trying to repair it (depending on where it was) or you would have had to do what you did anyways.
    Good job on the repair though.
    5" lift, 33's. Armored, Lighted, Chipped, & Locked up Front. Soon to come: winch, gears, axle shafts, and more...
    Built Not Bought - Senior Member
    TheVoiceofJosh.com/

cpttuna is offline Level: Uber Jeep Cherokee Trailer Queen

Default Re: License plate light not working

I tried 3 different bulbs. no go. I ran another ground. no go. I cut the wires going to the socket and tried it on a battery I had in the garage and the light worked. Hence the conclusion I had no power. I felt it easiest to run another power wire and since I knew the parking lights worked, I chose to run a feeder off the left parking light.