Well, we left Montrose that morning to go to Ouray, then over Black Bear to Telluride, then onward to Moab....

But things did not work out that way....

We left Ouray, and headed towards Black Bear...

But my wife saw this sign, and her being apprehensive about Black Bear, asked if we could explore this first...

So consulting my Charles Well's book, I found the trail for the Red Mountain mining district...

The first creek crossing was different, hope that does not dissolve tires...

We survived that and came upon the first of MANY mining ruins (some not so ruinous)

"Dad, stop here, I have seen this place in a magazine or book..."

"Well, its certainly interesting, let's look closer...but EVERYONE watch where they step, I only have a 100' of rope in the truck...."
"Dad, we'll be careful!!"

Well, that explains that....

We kept coming across more interesting mining ruins...

Apparently it snows occasionally here...

"uh, hon, check the map, don't think this is where we were supposed to come out..."

The girl's needed to take a break, so we wrapped up the first half of the trail and headed to Silverton...I could live in this region and be content NOTHING was close that had a large asphalt parking lot...an Ace Hardware, some place for groceries, and at least a satellite internet connection, and I'm good.

Quote from my teenage daughter.. "Hmm, actual wildlife that does not consist of drunken teens, I must take a picture.."

Yep, proud of her.