Thread: First start requires more crank time.

Default First start requires more crank time.

Hmmm that subject sounds like the begining to a Extends, or "male" enhancement commercial.

Anywho...

After I installed the car alarm with remote start I noticed that it will not remote start (it cranks of course) first thing in the morning, or really anytime it has set for a few hours.

I increased the "crank" time on it Sunday, so I'll see how it does later this morning.

I'm pretty sure this is a case of the fuel pressure not being at the pressure it needs to be at, but part of the routine the car alarm goes through is to turn on the ACC and sit there for a good 3 seconds before it cranks.

I have let it set for a good 15 to 20 seconds before I have tried cranking it manually. Same result, a little hard to start on that first crank. 2nd one is usually instant start.

Could this be a sign of a leaky fuel injector(s)? Should I be expecting the fuel pressure to stay up for several hours, or is it normal for it to drop off?

kryptonitexj Guest

Default Fuel Pressure

It sounds more like your Fuel pressure regulator. My jeep I have to prime it twice or it will have a long start. I have known I need a Fuel pressure regulator but I just don't want to spend the 60 the parts store wants for something I dont have to have. yours on the other hand is built into the fuel pump, mine is on the rail. Let me know If your issue turns out to be some thing different.

Well unless it just stops working I won't be spending the 250+ to replace the "works" in the gas tank. Hell I guess it could be a less than free flowing fuel filter for that mater.

Well on about the 4th attempt to change the "how long the remote starter cranks" I figured it out. It was on the default setting (1 chirp) and I set it to (3 chirps) If I counted right you can go up to 9 or 10 chirps. Each is a different, progressively longer, crank time. On the 4th chirp I could hear the started still engaged after the engine started.

The car alarm (with remote start) has a line that goes to the RPM, which I may hook up. I like the idea of having it kill the engine if it is over revving for some reason. It would be pretty crappy to walk out side hearing the 4.0 screaming at 6k rpm and then sputter and die.

Yesterday I went to Sam's club and it was a bit warm and muggy out. I parked about 3/4 out in the parking lot from the front door. I was just leaving the checkout when I reached in my pocket and hit remote start buttons. It responded like it had started, but it really just assumes.

After another 10 seconds, or so, I was out the door. I could see the back of the Jeep and I noticed a older couple near the Jeep, he was looking at it and then looking at his wife (or hell shacked up lover for all I know) and then looked back at the Jeep.

I could see the brake lights flashing, as I had programmed it to do while it is running with remote start. As I got closer I heard the faint rumbling of the engine. I really expected it to start after it had been run for awhile.

I pressed the remote disarm and the locks popped open. I put the groceries in the back and got in to my nice cool air Jeep. Put the key in turned it to the run position, stepped on the brake (this shuts down the remote start). Without the key in the run position the engine would stop, and the flashing lights would go off.

I put it into gear and drove home.

So no more handing the keys to my wife so she can start the Jeep as I load up the stuff in the back. We'd do this so the Jeep could cool off.

The locks are really acting up though, no fault of the alarm system. I'm going to have to go find that fix and do it to my Jeep so I can be sure the locks will open and close on command. This problem comes and goes, and I guess it has been an issue for about 5 years now.

The increased start time worked out fine this morning. The second test will be this afternoon when I leave to go home from work.

if your still having a problem just give us a call @ 1800-780-1409 and ask for Ryan and if he is not available just hold for him
    1996 classic -4.0 - NP231j with OMIX SYE with Tom Woods Drive Shaft - HP D30 - C8.25 - 3.55 Gears - 6.5 RC lift - M/T 35x12.5x15 Baja Claws On M/T Black Signature Series Wheel 15x10 cast Aluminum -Rusty Front Prerunner Bumper - Smittybelt RXC8 8,500LBS in Front and Champion 10,000LBS in Rear - Custom Rear Bumper - Iron Rock Off Road OTK Steering - Cut Fenders- Crystal Clear H/L Housing with 8K HIDS - Bed lined Rockers and Quarters-

WE LIVE IN THE LAND OF THE FREE BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE