Thread: List of Problems to Fix

Default List of Problems to Fix

Ok guys! So now that I've received my settlement check, I've got a list of problems that need to be repaired and I wanted everyone's opinion.

The List:

Radiator, Water Pump and Thermostat (Obviously this will be first since it is undriveable at this moment)
    Rear Main Oil Seal Leak (About a quart every 2k miles)
    Front Differential Leak (Medium sized leak, steady amount coming out everyday)
    Oil Pan Bolt Leak (The gasket is WORN OUT terribly)
    Transfer Case Leak (It's overfilled according to my mechanic so that's why it's coming out but he said it still shouldn't be leaking)
    O2 Sensors (Both Upstream and Downstream are well beyond their usefulness)
    Fuel Injectors (All 6 need to be replaced since they are stock parts still)
    Camshaft Position Sensor (CE Light came on the day the radiator blew and it was PO341 or Cam Pos Sensor)
    New A/T Tires (My current ones are getting pretty old and therefore are starting to get bald)
    Transmission Coolant Lines (My mechanic says they're fine but it was supposed to be a temporary fix that has still held on quite well so I'd like to get them repaired as well so it will be a more permanent measure)

That's the list for things that need to be fixed. I just wanted to know what everyone's thoughts were on what should be repaired first.

Now here's the list for things I want to put in my XJ:

New Paint Job (Same color just needs to be repainted since the paint is coming off in certain places, small places, and it's faded)
    New Speakers and Subwoofer/Amp (The current speakers are stock 20 y/o speakers that sound terrible but still get the job done)
    Upholstery (The roofing upholstery is coming down off the roof not to mention a raccoon stuck his hand through my 2 inch rolled down window and tore into the fabric of it)
    Possibly a 3" lift kit (I want to raise my XJ so I can do the more nasty wheeling trails)

So, I ask the forums to help me decide what to spend my settlement check on. Thanks in advance guys!
    Last edited by JeepFreak; 08-05-2013 at 12:51 PM.
    If you're gonna wanna talk tough, I'll watch your eyes widen as I drop my Jeep on your hood like a Tonka Truck.

Default Re: List of Problems to Fix

Obvious 1st:
    Radiator, Water Pump and Thermostat (Obviously this will be first since it is undriveable at this moment)

Next (easy and cheap):
    Front Differential Leak (Medium sized leak, steady amount coming out everyday)
    and the TR Case (if it's simply over-filled) = pull the plug and let the excess run out. Full is the bottom of the "fill plug", so once it stops running ~ it's not over full any more.

The Rear Main Oil Seal Leak and Oil Pan Bolt Leak are the same time.
    Though first make sure it isn't the Valve Cover gasket or Oil Filter leaks. Much easier to fix and less expensive. I discovered that was my leak! before I did the rear main ~ since the valve cover leaks down the back of the block, it's an easy error.

O2 Sensors are easy / just comes down to and 20 minutes.
    ... same with the Camshaft sensor.

Fuel Injectors = do the neon! I picked up a set on eBay or Amazon for 60 for the 4 pintol style and 30 minutes work. Good to go.

Tires and Transmission Coolant Lines = when funds are there and you have some time...

------
    If you can't drive it, paint and speakers are are only decorative.
    Be strong when you are weak.
    Be brave when you are afraid.
    Be humble when you are victorious.
    But be a badass everyday!
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Red will be running by the end of the week so the radiator, water pump and thermostat will be done.

As for the TR Case, if it is indeed leaking not only because it's full but because it actually has a leak, what could be the causes of that? I wouldn't assume it would just be coming apart.

Oil filter isn't leaking, I make sure every time and the valve cover has a small leak BUT nowhere near enough to be causing the amount I'm losing every 2k miles. That's why I was thinking it was the RMS. I'll have to take a look into it though. To really tell where it was coming from I would have to clean the engine of all the previous oil but I have no idea how to do that since there's a lot of electrical things it could get into i.e starter so I can't powerwash it.

I know there's a downstream catalytic converter O2 sensor but I can't find it for the life of me. If you have a picture that would be helpful. Now where do I get a CPS? Just an auto parts store like AutoZone?

Fuel Injectors on Amazon? How did you know they would fit?

Tires and Transmission coolant lines, I have the money for, I just wasn't sure when the TCL's needed to be replaced since the fix on there is only temporary even though it's still holding.

And since it will be driveable by the end of the week, speakers and paint will become available instead of just for decoration lol
    If you're gonna wanna talk tough, I'll watch your eyes widen as I drop my Jeep on your hood like a Tonka Truck.

LizardRunner is offline Level: Uber Jeep Cherokee Trailer Queen

TR case is probably a seal. since you say you want to do a lift for bigger off roading, I would wait and do an sye with the lift kit, that will get you new seals as well.
    2004 4.7v8HO WJ OMG, it's RED , Green bits are now under the hood. Loving the F/R Lockers and D44's. RIP 2011 Lil Ric and Gordo. RIP 2012 Jessie RIP 2013 Kat. RIP 2013 Ed . Lizards can always climb but sometimes they loose their tails to get away. The true patriot will stand beside the soldier when the time comes to fight Now building Asnikiye heca (Buzzard's Roost) homestead farm. My road is my wheeling trail