Thread: Stopped firing

Default Stopped firing

got a 1988 2wd 2dr 4.0 5 speed, I bought for the cheap, it set for 2 yrs, get it home cranks great but not firing so I put a new crank sensor on still no fire, put a coil on still no fire, change the ecm boom starts right up, idles a little rough but I would to if I set for 2 years, so I put a gallon of racing fuel and a gall of 93 octaine in her, let her idle for about 45 min then drove her around the yard. Acually running real good, shut it down for about 20 min try to start it back up and nothing cranks but no spark out of the coil what should I do next guys ?

Default Re: Stopped firing

Kinda makes me wonder if your injectors are clogged. Could also be fuel filter, lines, pump, etc. After sitting so long there is probably a lot of sediment that has collected and you could've stirred it up. Can you confirm that the cylinders are getting fuel?

Yep getting fuel, with looking today, I'm getting fire into the distrbuter but not comming out new button and cap, still not getting anything out.

What about your timing? Try loosening the distributor cap a bit and rotate it. Could've gotten a bit off after driving it.

k ill try that in the morning, weird like I had said I took the cap loose turned it over put my tester on it and im getting power threw the cap to the button but it stops there.

Let us know. If the cap has twisted a little, the rotor will spark at the "wrong" time. Also, might be a good idea to check and clean your grounds, and make sure the connector to your new ECM is still snug. You may also have a short in your wiring harness somewhere. Might also try testing the wiring harness to the ECM while cranking to make sure there's a good enough connection if the other things don't work.

Caps is good still no fire, cos is good, I checked the coil with a regular electric meter, its putting 8.2 put I wonder if that's not enough

Have you checked to see if your spark plugs might be dirty or severely worn? That could be a possibility especially if it was idling rough. Might be a small misfire from ungapped or severely worn plugs. Might be worth a shot checking those out. They aren't too hard to get out but I think you need a metric deep socket to remove them. Also be sure to check that the boots aren't snapped inside and the connection is there otherwise it would give you a rough idle or wouldn't work at all.
    If you're gonna wanna talk tough, I'll watch your eyes widen as I drop my Jeep on your hood like a Tonka Truck.

Your cam position sensor might be bad, which will not allow the coil to fire high voltage
    230 hp 4.3L Chevy
    Built 4L60E with manual lockout
    Atlas 4 speed
    Griffin radiator
    On board air
    Warn 9.5ti on custom bumper
    7.5" RE front and bastard pack rear on custom long arms
    30 gal gas tank
    lockers
    And a bunch of other stuff

GOT IT!! the coil was not putting enough fire out, put a new one on er, and fired right up..thanks for all the help