Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Chats

Default Greetings and Howdy!

I'm new to the board and just wanted to say hello. I've used your forums numerous times in the past for information and just thought it was time to get involved. Besides.....I have serious engine problems!!

R/
    Gary

Chats

Default Re: Greetings and Howdy!

to Glad you're getting involved!

Chats

Welcome. Glad you are here. What is up with that engine?
    230 hp 4.3L Chevy
    Built 4L60E with manual lockout
    Atlas 4 speed
    Griffin radiator
    On board air
    Warn 9.5ti on custom bumper
    7.5" RE front and bastard pack rear on custom long arms
    30 gal gas tank
    lockers
    And a bunch of other stuff

Chats

I went to the Tech-section and posted.....but long story short, I need a short block. I'd prefer something with quality parts and a warranty if possible. Any advise would greatly be appreciated.

Chats

Welcome to the forums! Glad to have you with us!
    If you're gonna wanna talk tough, I'll watch your eyes widen as I drop my Jeep on your hood like a Tonka Truck.

Chats

Welcome aboard!! We'll try to get ya fixed up and we hope you stick around after your issues are resolved!

Chats

Welcome to xjtalk!

There are several places you can buy new short blocks but as i'm sure you know new would be pricey. Quadratec, online parts businesses, auto parts stores, and machine shops often sell them. And some machine shops will have used parts in good condition, although it may be rare to find a 4.0 in such a place for sale. Some junkyards will offer a short warranty, maybe 14 or 30 days or so. And yes, craigslist is a good resource for engines, although a bit risky buying from a random individual plus absolutely no warranty or guaranty. And finally, i don't know the exact ones you have in Ohio but papers such as "Thrifty Nickel" or other free classified papers will usually have advertisements for businesses that have engines with a short warranty displayed in the automotive section.

Hope some of this helps, and if you have any more questions feel free to ask. Best of luck with your engine troubles.

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

Chats

OK, here is my dilemma…..I’ll try and make it short.

The daughter hand my XJ out and it overheated, she saw the idiot light come on but because she was in the country she continued to drive it until she reached a gas station. The Jeep was towed home and that’s where I encountered the 0331 head issue.

Yes, looking thru the oil filler cap I could visibly see the crack between the runners. It appeared to me that the coolant did not get in the oil, so I ordered a new casting head from Clearwater Heads in Florida…….and, I took an oil sample and sent it to away for analysis.

Replaced head, and all appeared good for a short while. But after 20 minutes of driving the temp-needle starts to rise above normal. Letting the Jeep sit until it completely cools, I noticed that it draws coolant from the reservoir. And taking off the radiator cap reveals oil floating in the coolant.

I first thought that maybe, just maybe I did not get the head bolts torqued down correctly. But after thinking about it, the oil is not under pressure in the head……it is supplied thru the push rods and drains by gravity back thru the block and into the pan.

So…..must be a cracked block, yes? If it were just the head gasket I could not see how pressurized oil could find its way into the coolant?

And to make matters worse, the oil sample came back with very high numbers for potassium and another compound that I can’t think of right at this minute. But it was flagged as contaminated by coolant.

Regardless of the amount of contamination, I just see this situation getting worse as the engines gains miles. I love my XJ and it’s my primary vehicle for hunting/camping and those sorts of activities.

Any recommendations from the group?

Chats

Quote Originally Posted by project-xj View Post
    OK, here is my dilemma…..I’ll try and make it short.

The daughter hand my XJ out and it overheated, she saw the idiot light come on but because she was in the country she continued to drive it until she reached a gas station. The Jeep was towed home and that’s where I encountered the 0331 head issue.

Yes, looking thru the oil filler cap I could visibly see the crack between the runners. It appeared to me that the coolant did not get in the oil, so I ordered a new casting head from Clearwater Heads in Florida…….and, I took an oil sample and sent it to away for analysis.

Replaced head, and all appeared good for a short while. But after 20 minutes of driving the temp-needle starts to rise above normal. Letting the Jeep sit until it completely cools, I noticed that it draws coolant from the reservoir. And taking off the radiator cap reveals oil floating in the coolant.

I first thought that maybe, just maybe I did not get the head bolts torqued down correctly. But after thinking about it, the oil is not under pressure in the head……it is supplied thru the push rods and drains by gravity back thru the block and into the pan.

So…..must be a cracked block, yes? If it were just the head gasket I could not see how pressurized oil could find its way into the coolant?

And to make matters worse, the oil sample came back with very high numbers for potassium and another compound that I can’t think of right at this minute. But it was flagged as contaminated by coolant.

Regardless of the amount of contamination, I just see this situation getting worse as the engines gains miles. I love my XJ and it’s my primary vehicle for hunting/camping and those sorts of activities.

Any recommendations from the group?
    Replaced the head with what? Was it a new hear, rebuilt, etc...? Did you use new head bolts? Those bolts are a two time use only, and once was at the factory. What head gasket did you use? How about the Mopar sticky spray on the gasket? Torqued to spec and in the correct sequence?

Also I'm sure you did but just to be through, you did change the oil after the incident?

I guess it's possible but based on my limited experience I'd be surprised if you cracked the block.

Chats

New head from Clear Water heads in Florida. (Heavier casting)

New head gasket from Fel-Pro (no sealant required – I called their tech department)

New head bolts from Summit

Oil was changed immediately with new filter.

New Radiator

Torqued to spec and in correct sequence

New Temp unit

2 new O2 sensors (upstream)

Do you think it is the head gasket? I’d be thrilled if that was the case……….and thank you for your reply!

Chats

New head from Clear Water heads in Florida. (Heavier casting)

New head gasket from Fel-Pro (no sealant required – I called their tech department)

New head bolts from Summit

Oil was changed immediately with new filter.

New Radiator

Torqued to spec and in correct sequence

New Temp unit

2 new O2 sensors (upstream)

Do you think it is the head gasket? I’d be thrilled if that was the case……….and thank you for your reply!
    So the coolant in the oil test was before or after the head swap?

Chats

Before....

What do you think? Even if it is a head gasket (I can't understand how), what about the coolant in the oil? Isn't it a ticking bomb waiting for oil pressure to zero out one day while I'm on the highway?

Chats

Before....

What do you think? Even if it is a head gasket (I can't understand how), what about the coolant in the oil? Isn't it a ticking bomb waiting for oil pressure to zero out one day while I'm on the highway?
    Okay good. So I've seen oily looking stuff in my coolant and I don't have a cracked head or block.

Water pump, thermostat, hoses were changed as well? The over heat after 20 minutes makes me think thermostat.

If you're not seeing coolant in the oil I don't think you'll have to worry about the oil pressure zeroing out.

Chats

It is possible to be a gasket, but with the new head not likely. Since you used a new head I think you could rule this out
    230 hp 4.3L Chevy
    Built 4L60E with manual lockout
    Atlas 4 speed
    Griffin radiator
    On board air
    Warn 9.5ti on custom bumper
    7.5" RE front and bastard pack rear on custom long arms
    30 gal gas tank
    lockers
    And a bunch of other stuff

Chats

It's got a new Hesco water pump, Stant thermostat, and all new hoses. It doesn't over-heat any longer except after driving for 20 minutes or so. Then like I said.....when it is parked and cools off, it pulls new coolant from the reservoir. And when you pull the radiator cap off, you can see small amounts of oil in the coolant.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast