Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NP231 Transfer Xfer case problems

Default Re: Transfer Xfer case problems

If you are not "handy" now, you can learn. When I got my first Jeep 10 years ago, I didn't know squat about it...I hadn't done any wrenching in years.

I have built 1 XJ and 1 MJ almost from the ground up since then...using this and similar forums. My advice (and my own opinion)...dive into a small project with your Jeep, just outside your comfort zone. You may (you WILL) have frustrations and might (will) screw things up...but you'll learn alot and save a pile of money doing your own work.
    Last edited by ParadiseXJ; 07-03-2013 at 10:19 AM.
    1. 1990 XJ Laredo AW4-4.0L-NP231 D35/D30-OPEN cooling-3.5 full pack-etc.-etc.
    #2. 1988 MJ Pioneer AW4-4.0L-NP231J-D30/D44 LSD - OPEN cooling - 3" lift - 31's

Like your freedom? Thank a Vet.

Default Re: NP231 Transfer Xfer case problems

I would def say try taking on the project of replacing the chain yourself... as it isn't too hard, and would cost you far more than it really should to take it to a dealership or any other shop... You can find the larger wider upgraded chain in sprockets as well as the stock chain/sprocket online for a pretty cheap price... I'm looking at picking up the wide chain to install when I pull my TC apart to do the SYE... and def feel free to ask questions about anything you are stuck on or worried about... The folks on here are always helpful and very informative!!
    FORMER GREEN XJ CLUB MEMBER
    IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM!!
    DOING SOMETHING JUST BECAUSE YOUR BUDDY DOES IT THAT WAY MAKES AS MUCH SENSE AS SHARING TOOTHBRUSHES

Default Re: NP231 Transfer Xfer case problems

I am a self taught wrench head, learned everything I know from looking at a manual and going for it. It wasn't, maybe 4 years before I did my first motor swap, but that was all on Hondas. I know boo me, but now with the xj bug in me, its more fun than ever!!!!!!!!! Nothing beats turning a few wrenches for a few hrs and being proud to say Hell yea I did that..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12