Thread: Throttle body spacer and/or air intake?

Default Throttle body spacer and/or air intake?

Can anybody tell me about which throttle body spacer to use? I noticed in 4WD parts catalog they sell a 60mm and a 62mm spacer (Hesco brand). Do I need to measure my throttle body bore? I have a '91 Laredo w/ an automatic transmission, 4.0L. I have also heard of having the throttle body bored to a bigger dia but not sure how to do that. I know they sell them with bigger aftermarket bores but I'm on a budget. Also I want to add a cold air intake (I think). I am looking to increase horsepower and torque any way I can. These two things will help as I understand it. Fuel efficiency would be nice but I prefer the extra horsie's and torque for trails. All input is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

If your on a budget honestly I wouldn't waste the money on a tb spacer. It won't do much for you.

Sent from my nerdy smartphone

Icon6 Re: Throttle body spacer and/or air intake?

well, my budget includes mods for my jeep of course, just don't wanna spend huge money on things that won't help on the trail. Why would they make such a thing if it don't do much?

prerunner1982 is offline Level: Uber Jeep Cherokee Trailer Queen

Default Re: Throttle body spacer and/or air intake?

A Carb/Throttle body spacer works best on a Carb or Throttle body injected engine, giving the air and fuel more time to atomize (mix). The 4.0 is a direct injection engine so all the spacer is going to do is give more room for the air coming into your engine to travel. Some people have reported a better throttle response and some a whistling noise. Neither of which I feel is worth the money.
    1993 2 door 4x4 4.0 5 speed
    1997 4 door 4x2 4.0 auto RIP 6/6/2016
    2000 4 door 4x2 4.0 auto

Day of Dirt Adventure

I've read time and time again that a throttle body spacer is a waste, but we have one member here that swears it improved his gas mileage noticeably. It's not a measured before and after install, just what he saw on the gas gauge before and after.

On my blue XJ I did the spectre intake and what a difference. For a 150 bucks and maybe 2 hours of your time. Best thing I did for performance. And boosted my fuel economy by 2-3 mpg. Keeps the air intake high and dry as well. However Its a little loud when full tilt but if you can stand it and enjoy the sound like I do then I would highly suggest this.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

You're looking to move more air basically. So first things are exhaust and intake. Bumping the exhaust tubing up to 2.5" and getting a hi flow cat and muffler are going to let it exhale easier and a freer flowing intake (that truly takes in cool air) is what you want for breathing in. Past that you can get more involve with better moving that air and fuel/air mixture as in bored throttle body, header (which the original exhaust manifold is already fairly smooth), bigger injectors, '99+ intake manifold, etc.

I am one of the ones that reports a noticeable difference with a throttle body spacer, but i believe its only certain ones that obtain that difference.
    Last edited by XJ Wheeler; 06-07-2013 at 05:34 AM.

All I'm going to say
    91 Cherokee RC 4.5 long arm lift ECTED locker in the front Lock Rite locker in the rear Warn front and rear bumpers with 8000lb Warn winch sliders Skyjacker shocks and disconects exterior paint orange/black Rinoline. Roof rack with KC lights. SADLY GONE BUT WON'T BE FORGETEN But hay there is still a XJ in the family

97 TJ 6" Super Lift lift 2" body lift 37x13.5 tires front and rear OX lockers full roll cage custom made f/r bumpers and sliders made by AAE Customs 8000# Ramsey winch with Kevlar rope and a sound system that can make you ears bleed

If you're going to buy a TB spacer at all, get the cheapest one you can find (or make your own) that has a 62mm bore and no helix. That helix bore is nothing more than a marketing gimmick so don't fall for it.
    If you then add a 62mm TB (cheap in ebay), a true cold air intake with the filter shielded from hot underhood air (you can make your own with bits bought from Home Depot), and insulate the underside of the intake manifold with a Thermotec heat blanket, you'll see a nice improvement in throttle response and a slight improvement in gas mileage.
    With the intake side of the engine taken care of, it'll then respond better to a freer flowing exhaust.

1992 XJ - 4.6L Stroker - AX15 - Sold 13/12/2016
    202rwhp 258rwtq (248bhp 311lbft crank)
    Jeep Performance, Jeep Tech, Junker to Stroker

i have a cowl (the space where the windshield fluid sprays out) CAI i have noticed a definite gain in power. it also increased my mpg from 12 to 17. it also makes the stock air box disappear. it moves the intake up as well for water crossings. it sounds like im selling you on it. but i would recommend it. it adds to the sound of the jeep if that matters to you. but the best is to pair the CAI with a Cat Back Exhaust you'll see better performance.

the Cowel setup also makes it a permanent air filter too.

07Negative is offline Level: Uber Jeep Cherokee Trailer Queen

Save for a port and polish and new injectors. New injectors alone are worth the coin. TB spacer is just another way for someone to make money off of nothing. You can also buy a bored TB that gives pretty nice response.
    Even a intake with an open filter is a bit of a waste of money. All it's doing is suckin in hot air under the hood. I say put money where it counts and actually makes a difference.
    So if you have a oil leak. Fix that first. Then modify. I'm sure those 3 O rings on the oil filter adapter are leaking. That's a cheap fix. Just my .