Thread: Weird tacking noise

Icon8 Weird tacking noise

ok so about a month or two ago i was hearing a tacking noise coming from what sounded like the drivers side front axel.
    so i pulled it apart yesterday and the ujoint inside the knuckel was BAD!!!
    so i bought a new one replaced it an the noise wasnt as bad but its still there
    i check all my other ujoints there all great ! my wheel bearings are good!
    tires are new brakes are good im getting so tired of hearing this damn noise
    when your on the gas you dont hear it you let off thats when it starts!
    when i hit the brakes it really tacks loudly! plllzzzz someone help me out!
    its driving me nuts and im stumped!

Default Re: weird tacking noise

Ok, you said wheel bearings are good, but what did you do to check them? Have they been replaced recently? One of our vendors (1A Auto) sells them for under 100, I believe. Pretty easy job to do. Other than that, your caliper could be hitting something as well. Do your wheels have center caps? If that center cap gets loose, it could be rattling around inside the wheel. I also had an issue where my upper mount on my shock was loose (eventually found out it was stripped) and it was rattling and that made it sound like it was coming from my wheel from inside the cab. Also check your steering parts and make sure nothing is loose and moving around.

im going to try to replace the bearings i assumer there good i had the whole hub off and it spins free dont bind or make weird noises but i get paid weds that will be next thing i do if i dont see any other probloms in my steering! i will check my strut mounts and all you said thanks for your input i will give you a update tomaro!

nickxj94 is offline Level: Uber Jeep Cherokee Trailer Queen

Sounds like the rotors are warped and causing the calipers to jump when your on the brakes I've had that happen before and started it again on my rear disc now,
    --______......
    . /__| _ | _\ / / \,____.
    |/ \ \_ | _/_/ \|EIIIIIIEI
    '( o ))-=--) ( o ))--=--)).Just another GREEN XJ lifted on 33's

Check to make sure your backing plates aren't bent too. But the bearings can make a ticking noise, try going to an open area like a big parking lot and while driving slow (enough so you can hear) and turn left to right (enough to sway some of the weight of the vehicle from one side to another. A lot of times when the bearings are on their way out they will only do the noise when more pressure is applied, like braking/turning/bumps/etc.

Default Re: Weird tacking noise

sorry took me so long to get back i checked everything plus it needed a tune up did drive belt plugs wires rad flush and oil change plus been at the beach DROVE GREAT down there except the annoying tacking noise i didnt notice any probloms with my steering or bearings but my front rotors are trash so im banking on somthing having just a liil to much space and tacking when i moving i get paid in two weeks i will be tearing into it again then thanks for all the info hope it turns out to be what im thinking!

this site IS THE BEST THING ON THE INTERNET

Sorry took me a while to repost guys had a busy month with family probloms but.......
    Replaced wheel hub still tacked loudly my buddy said to check my pumpkin so I took out filler bolt and
    It was bone dry we filled it up its still loud as hell clicking what could I have messed up inside the pumpkin that would be clicking so loud any ideas????? Its not a bearing or break issue u can clearly hear it inside the pumkin up front 4x4 still works great but still tacks loudly I'm gunna tear pumpkin cover off weds and see what's going on but just looking for suggestions thanks

That would be my suggestion, pull the cover and see what is up
    230 hp 4.3L Chevy
    Built 4L60E with manual lockout
    Atlas 4 speed
    Griffin radiator
    On board air
    Warn 9.5ti on custom bumper
    7.5" RE front and bastard pack rear on custom long arms
    30 gal gas tank
    lockers
    And a bunch of other stuff

Hope to dig into this tommaro but there callin for rain here in crappy ol pennsylvania ill keep yous updated on what I find