Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 56
  1. #31
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Conroe
    Posts
    2,527
    Chats
    13382

    Default Re: **Help engine dies**

    Quote Originally Posted by rm2406 View Post
    when engine dies NO dash lights, NO cel light, stereo system stays playing with no interuption. since ive resetted the codes i still stall and it doesnt display cps code anymore.. just 12 & 55...
    cleaned IAC and tps gives no problems in shifting at all. also everyday it ALAWAYS starts up quick.. never have to crank,crank.. fires up perfect everytime everyday..
    just stalls once or twice a day weather im stopped or steadily driving down the road..
    plugs,wires,cap & rotor and fuel filter are all new.. im stumped???
    When I had the same issue with my 91 (no check engine light) it was a bad ecu. It ran great then cold turkey dead. Wait a few mins it would fire up. The tail tail sign for me was no light check when the key is turned on(the engine light will come on for a few seconds), oh and no fuel pump priming. This would also show only codes 12,55 repeatedly
    Trailer Queen Jeep Member (Hoping Bigjim350 will show me how to wheel since 2011)
    Now charging a shop fee!

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    s.california
    Posts
    179
    Chats
    2

    Default Re: **Help engine dies**

    i get my check engine light on when i first start the jeep..i always can hear the fuel pump prime before start up..
    last night i disconnected the battery and reset the codes, and on my way to work happened again... so i check the codes and got 12,11,55. so it must be CPS. when it dies while moving still on the road i can put it in neutral turn the key and this is the ONLY time it will crank and crank for a bit then start running again.. other than that it fires up perfect every time.. also sometimes driving it cuts out for like 1 split second and comes back on while in gear so i bearly notice it if im looking at the RPM's. sort of like a quick hic up.. well it seems like CPS is the most obvious culprit seeing that code 11 popped up again. this weekend i will replace and report back. sorry if this thread seemed to drag on about thee obvious i just wanted to list all the symptoms to my issue for those that have never had a CPS problem.. thanks all!

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    s.california
    Posts
    179
    Chats
    2

    Default Re: **Help engine dies**

    i used a meter to test resistance on CPS and it showed 832 then tested camshaft sensor and it showed 816 resistance.. does this sound ok? or what should a good sensor resistance show??

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Katy, Texas
    Posts
    27,272
    Chats
    30792

    Default Re: **Help engine dies**

    Quote Originally Posted by rm2406 View Post
    i get my check engine light on when i first start the jeep..i always can hear the fuel pump prime before start up..
    last night i disconnected the battery and reset the codes, and on my way to work happened again... so i check the codes and got 12,11,55. so it must be CPS. when it dies while moving still on the road i can put it in neutral turn the key and this is the ONLY time it will crank and crank for a bit then start running again.. other than that it fires up perfect every time.. also sometimes driving it cuts out for like 1 split second and comes back on while in gear so i bearly notice it if im looking at the RPM's. sort of like a quick hic up.. well it seems like CPS is the most obvious culprit seeing that code 11 popped up again. this weekend i will replace and report back. sorry if this thread seemed to drag on about thee obvious i just wanted to list all the symptoms to my issue for those that have never had a CPS problem.. thanks all!
    CPS or the wiring is a very common issue on the XJ's. I have read many reports of people buying Cherokees from people's yard that sat for a year, no start. 500 and installation of a CPS in the yard, they crank it and drive it home. lol I always love those stories.

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    On my mountian NOR CAL
    Posts
    1,879
    Chats
    2954

    Default Re: **Help engine dies**

    Quote Originally Posted by Mudderoy View Post
    CPS or the wiring is a very common issue on the XJ's. I have read many reports of people buying Cherokees from people's yard that sat for a year, no start. 500 and installation of a CPS in the yard, they crank it and drive it home. lol I always love those stories.
    I see it everyday and recommend to everyone who owns an XJ to carry a spare. I ran mine over a year with a bad one by simply unplugging it and re plugging it back in and it would start every time. When I did replace it I soldered it back together at the plug and NEVER had another issue with it. The issue is the voltage is so low on them that the plug actually loses part of it and they fail. I have tested them and they test good but still no start . Replace it and all is well. my new slogan is "when in doubt , pull the CPS out " Hope it all works out for ya !!
    Aint got no whistle, don't belch out smoke, but my V10 aint no joke !!!

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    s.california
    Posts
    179
    Chats
    2

    Default Re: **Help engine dies**

    i used a meter to test resistance on CPS and it showed 832 then tested camshaft sensor and it showed 816 resistance.. does this sound ok? or what should a good sensor resistance show??

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Chico, CA
    Posts
    29,677
    Chats
    1838

    Default Re: **Help engine dies**

    It is not resistance that you want to check. You need to crank the engine and test the voltage they put out, which goes from 0 to 5 and back.
    230 hp 4.3L Chevy
    Built 4L60E with manual lockout
    Atlas 4 speed
    Griffin radiator
    On board air
    Warn 9.5ti on custom bumper
    7.5" RE front and bastard pack rear on custom long arms
    30 gal gas tank
    lockers
    And a bunch of other stuff

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    s.california
    Posts
    179
    Chats
    2

    Default Re: **Help engine dies**

    Quote Originally Posted by 4.3LXJ View Post
    It is not resistance that you want to check. You need to crank the engine and test the voltage they put out, which goes from 0 to 5 and back.
    ok. so how do i test the voltage??

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Chico, CA
    Posts
    29,677
    Chats
    1838

    Default Re: **Help engine dies**

    You have to leave it plugged in and use a pin and insert it into the plug from the back side. One is power and the other is to the CPU. When you crank you will see the voltage on the meter change, going up and down. You won't get a true reading since you don't have a scope, but you can see if it is working or not
    230 hp 4.3L Chevy
    Built 4L60E with manual lockout
    Atlas 4 speed
    Griffin radiator
    On board air
    Warn 9.5ti on custom bumper
    7.5" RE front and bastard pack rear on custom long arms
    30 gal gas tank
    lockers
    And a bunch of other stuff

  10. #40
    nickxj94's Avatar
    nickxj94 is offline Level: Uber Jeep Cherokee Trailer Queen
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    1,250
    Chats
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mudderoy View Post
    CPS or the wiring is a very common issue on the XJ's. I have read many reports of people buying Cherokees from people's yard that sat for a year, no start. 500 and installation of a CPS in the yard, they crank it and drive it home. lol I always love those stories.
    That's how I got mine!
    --______......
    . /__| _ | _\ / / \,____.
    |/ \ \_ | _/_/ \|EIIIIIIEI
    '( o ))-=--) ( o ))--=--)).Just another GREEN XJ lifted on 33's

  11. #41
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Katy, Texas
    Posts
    27,272
    Chats
    30792

    Default Re: **Help engine dies**

    Quote Originally Posted by xj4life2 View Post
    I see it everyday and recommend to everyone who owns an XJ to carry a spare. I ran mine over a year with a bad one by simply unplugging it and re plugging it back in and it would start every time. When I did replace it I soldered it back together at the plug and NEVER had another issue with it. The issue is the voltage is so low on them that the plug actually loses part of it and they fail. I have tested them and they test good but still no start . Replace it and all is well. my new slogan is "when in doubt , pull the CPS out " Hope it all works out for ya !!
    Oh this is great info, thanks!

  12. #42
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    s.california
    Posts
    179
    Chats
    2

    Default Re: **Help engine dies**

    ok, changed out CPS last night and so far NO stalling.. it was stalling 2-3 times through out a day before... so i will continue monitoring this week and update post later.. thanks for the help ALL!!

  13. #43
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Katy, Texas
    Posts
    27,272
    Chats
    30792

    Default Re: **Help engine dies**

    Quote Originally Posted by rm2406 View Post
    ok, changed out CPS last night and so far NO stalling.. it was stalling 2-3 times through out a day before... so i will continue monitoring this week and update post later.. thanks for the help ALL!!
    I bet you got it.

  14. #44
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    s.california
    Posts
    179
    Chats
    2

    Icon14 Re: **Help engine dies**

    Quote Originally Posted by Mudderoy View Post
    I bet you got it.

    problem solved! CPS as always number one suspect for most stalling issues..
    just a little tip, took me bout 15mins to replace. and for those with a front drive shaft if you shift the lever all the way to 1-2 gear there is room to fit your hand underneath and attach the cps and hand tighten bolts.. my hands arent to small either... but shifting the gear back helped out very much.. thanks again everyone!

  15. #45
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Gresham Or.
    Posts
    39
    Chats
    2

    Default

    Anyone in weed California I'm at the rest stop heading south and i think my starter went out any help near by maybe arise to a auto store


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Jeep Dies
    By Zero in forum General Talk
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-22-2013, 08:32 PM
  2. 4.0L XJ starts fine but dies everyonce in Awhile
    By Pitts32 in forum General Talk
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-23-2012, 09:30 PM
  3. Carol Shelby Dies at 89
    By prerunner1982 in forum General Talk
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-11-2012, 06:29 PM
  4. 89 XJ dies randomly
    By YellowSub2000 in forum OEM/Factory
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-25-2010, 07:31 PM
  5. Xj starts then dies a couple seconds later
    By Capndave in forum OEM/Factory
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-12-2009, 09:14 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •