Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Chats

Default Re: **Help engine dies**

I may be closest to you, but I am 150 miles away.
    230 hp 4.3L Chevy
    Built 4L60E with manual lockout
    Atlas 4 speed
    Griffin radiator
    On board air
    Warn 9.5ti on custom bumper
    7.5" RE front and bastard pack rear on custom long arms
    30 gal gas tank
    lockers
    And a bunch of other stuff

Chats

check loose ground wire(s)??

This JGC is driving me crazy. Check engine light came back on today. it had been back firing and stalling out sometimes it wouldn't immediately start back up. I seemed to have a dead battery and it's brand new so I hooked jumper cable up from battery negative post only to engine or frame and it started without jumping it. Therefore I figured out it was loosing ground. It hasn't stalled since I tightened up the ground cable. But the check engine light came on the next day (today) The 2 codes indicated o2 sensor and thermostat (not heating up to proper temp quickly. One of the codes also mentioned defective cat converter but I had already replaced muffler and cat converter months ago.

My passenger floorboard was soaked with water and I bypassed heater core as soon as I bought it so I ruled out heater core. I also drilled out for the a/c vent and blew compressed air as mentioned in other threads. I will be trying to locate water leak or soaked carpet issue in the next few days.

Chats

The cat code was likely generated by your O2 sensor behind the cat not reading properly. No one ever changes that one. If the temp sensor is not indicating a warm engine, it will run rich and the cat will not convert all of the carbons to CO2
    230 hp 4.3L Chevy
    Atlas 4 speed
    Griffin radiator
    On board air
    30 gal gas tank
    lockers

Chats

change o2, thermostat or temp sensor?

Chats

Soaked floor on pass side is the heater core, leave it bypassed or replace it. As for the rest , check all grounds , clean as needed , you must have good grounds or computer and sensors wont function. Change the thermostat, use the factory OEM temp, do not use a lower temp as most of us think is better as the computer watches this and wont go into closed loop untill it hits its mark (usually about 180*). Steve si right on the money on the o2 and cat. change both sensors though as one does watch the other and will set a code if they don't like each other. Also it says in the Jeep manual to change o2's every 28k in a Jeep.After all this is done disconect the battery wait 10min and reconnect to clear codes. It may run weird for a while as the computer re-learns its operating stratigy.Good luck !!!
    Aint got no whistle, don't belch out smoke, but my V10 aint no joke !!!

Chats

Quote Originally Posted by xj4life2 View Post
    Soaked floor on pass side is the heater core, leave it bypassed or replace it. As for the rest , check all grounds , clean as needed , you must have good grounds or computer and sensors wont function. Change the thermostat, use the factory OEM temp, do not use a lower temp as most of us think is better as the computer watches this and wont go into closed loop untill it hits its mark (usually about 180*). Steve si right on the money on the o2 and cat. change both sensors though as one does watch the other and will set a code if they don't like each other. Also it says in the Jeep manual to change o2's every 28k in a Jeep.After all this is done disconect the battery wait 10min and reconnect to clear codes. It may run weird for a while as the computer re-learns its operating stratigy.Good luck !!!
    water on floor is A/C related, Heater core was disconnected when I bought and I wet vacuumed the carpet twice since then.

Chats

The temp gauge has seemed always on the low mark. It generally runs the first mark before the half way point. Of course it goes up when towing.

Chats

Hey, for all you guys who jumped in on this, I just got back from Autozone, and had no codes. I had to push it off the road coming home from church, waited a little, and it started. Usually it had been missing, or dies. Usually at an intersection. Always started back up till yesterday. Then another long delay today. No code at all. I'm going for the crank sensor.

Chats

That would be the best place to start

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
    230 hp 4.3L Chevy
    Atlas 4 speed
    Griffin radiator
    On board air
    30 gal gas tank
    lockers

Chats

yup.. give the cps sensor a try... it ONLY gives a CEL when the problem is occuring....
    note: if you do change the CPS, my advise to make it a bit easier... SET THE PARKING BRAKE, PUT GEAR LEVER ALL THE WAY BACK, NOW CRAWL UNDERNEATH AND YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO UNBOLT THE CPS MORE EASILY. my hands are big and i did this and was able to use just the socket,wrench and a small extention to remove. i was also able to tighten and untighten the bolt by hand with ease.. remember unbolt the highest bolt first or when doing the bottom first you might lose the bolt down the flywheel then your problems will be that much bigger..............

Chats

Picked up the Crank and Cam sensor, just to cover all my sensor bases, and the cam was simple, but the crank sensor was impossible with my tools. So I took it to a local shop, and they charged me 40 to install it. So far, hasn't died again! Thanks for the help!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234