Thread: Seat Mod?

Default Seat Mod?

Does anyone know of a modification to lower the seats in the XJ? I need to lower my seat or remove my steering wheel and replace it with one that isn't so thick at the hub. Since that would mean losing or relocating my cruise control buttons, I'm thinking it would be better to lower the seat.

I may still try (one of these days) to swap out the steering wheel, since mine is chewed up and crappy, anyhow. I know, I know, I'd have to remove the air bag, which I'm willing to do and I'm wearing my big boy pants, so I accept full responsibility for doing it. What scares me about it is trying to relocate the cruise control. I'd really like a different steering wheel.

For now, though, I'd REALLY like to give myself some more head room and lower my seat. That would also give me more room between my belly and the steering wheel, which would be nice, too. Maybe a different seat all together?

Biggest thing will be the brackets on the bottom. I have a 95 also and the po broke and welded the drivers seat bout 20 times I swapped mine but I can't remember what yr. as far as I know 95 and down have same brackets though.
    Shot of Whiskey and a camp fire. Perfect night time

Also when and if ya do the steering wheel swap just go to JY and get the column that has cruise and all with windshield wiper on same lever. Like from say a 91.
    Last edited by 4x4Dalton; 03-11-2013 at 12:02 AM.
    Shot of Whiskey and a camp fire. Perfect night time

Default Re: Seat Mod?

Hadn't thought of that. I need to evaluate just how big of an electrical job it'll be. I really don't like the wheel I've got now, and I HATE, HATE, HATE controls on the wheel. It's been a big thing to do in semi tractors and I hate the trend. Plus, I want a different wheel. I'm kinda crazy and OCD about steering wheels. I'm really particular about them. I guess all the years of buying the exact wheel I want in my big trucks has me spoiled. That, and I don't like air bags. Different debate, I suppose.

I need to do some research on this steering column thing. Might be just what the Dr. ordered! Thanks!

Default Re: Seat Mod?

There is an easy way. Get the mounting bracket and mechanism from an electric seat for an XJ. It will bolt in and allow you to lower the seat a couple of inches. You may have to run a hot wire to it, but a hot wire and ground is all you need.
    230 hp 4.3L Chevy
    Built 4L60E with manual lockout
    Atlas 4 speed
    Griffin radiator
    On board air
    Warn 9.5ti on custom bumper
    7.5" RE front and bastard pack rear on custom long arms
    30 gal gas tank
    lockers
    And a bunch of other stuff