Thread: Electrical problems.. :(

Icon8 Electrical problems.. :(

So i lost hope on figuring this out myself, and came here with the hopes that somone has experienced something similar or knows whats going on. So i decided it was time to fix my saggy headliner so i pulled it relined it and my dome light hasnt worked sense ive had my jeep i tested the wires and they werent hot so i figured the problem was somewhere in the dash sense i could see where the ground and hot wire were. so i wired in a newer light for a later model cherokee thinking i would fix the light later. Before i did that i checked my fuse to see if that was the problem and it wasnt. SO! put the headliner back on with the dome light and started up my car.. now my stereo turns on but none of the 4 speakers play music.. what the hell? I can hear the CD spin and it still counts the seconds of the song like it is playing but i get no noise from the stereo, have to go to work and school so i also figured out that i would fix that later. Now my gas gauge doesnt work.. it always says i have a full tank.. i thought this just was a series of unfortunante events.. now when i turn my blinker on it cuts the power to my stereo (lights turn off and cd stops spinning *still no music*) then once my stereo is off and my blinkers on and i press on the brake my blinker turns off. once i release the brake and turn my blinker off the stereo lights back up with out any music.. & then i went to drive home and car was dead. i got a buddie to jump me so i could make it home, once home i pulled in, shut my car off and tried to start it and it wouldnt even turn over. My dash lights arent on either.. ive checked all my fuses and the one for the dome light had burnt out so i replaced it and everything is back to working besides the dome light and my speakers but i have no idea whats going on. ANY IDEAS OR SUGGESTIONS will be much appreciated. (headliner was replaced yesterday, problems are from today)
    Last edited by SeniorGustas; 03-05-2013 at 04:33 PM. Reason: typo

Default Re: Electrical problems.. :(

Sounds like a bad ground. You will have to check the body to engine ground first. That might fix them all
    230 hp 4.3L Chevy
    Built 4L60E with manual lockout
    Atlas 4 speed
    Griffin radiator
    On board air
    Warn 9.5ti on custom bumper
    7.5" RE front and bastard pack rear on custom long arms
    30 gal gas tank
    lockers
    And a bunch of other stuff

Okay, not to familiar with this stuff. my dad mention that. He told me that the ground may go to the engine block? atleast he thinks his Yotas does. Ill check that when i get home i have a trickle charger on my battery now but im scared to go out hahaha. Thanks if anyone else has ideas im all ears.

oderdene is offline Level: Uber Jeep Cherokee Trailer Queen

yeah, check grounds first bro,

here is map of grounds in engine bay

possible damage/grounding of hot wire of dome light, check insulation of wires behind headliner
    '91 XJ Limited | 4.0 H.O. I6 | AW-4 | NP242J | D30 | C8.25 | BFG KM2 33x10.50x15 | front winch bumper ...