Thread: Civic vs XJ

Default Civic vs XJ

I have owned a 1999 XJ and a 1995 Civic for a little over 2 years now and here is a product review/comparison on them. Disclaimer: Im a sport compact guy and the XJ is my 2nd SUV.

Gas mileage: Civic(38) XJ(17-21) Civic doubles XJ but XJ gets more road time and therefore is entitles to eat more fuel per mile.

General exterior styling: Civic: aerodynamic, no lines, nice looking rear end, and nonthreatening family car look. XJ: box on wheels, sharp enges and definitive body lines, in stock form looks like your average people carrier.

Interior styling: Civic: horrid seats, functional dash, very cool climate control, useless fold down seat. XJ: Decent seats that creak, dash is boring but has all functions included that are expected, dislike climate control, fold down seat makes it a truck with a camper shell on it(awesum)

When it breaks: Civic: Honda realized eventually there baby would fail to function so the engineers made it very easy to work on. XJ: I dont know maybe one of the engineers lost his wife to a mechanic so he took out his vengeance on those who dare to fix a broken XJ.

Mechanical: To be fair once I replaced the parts that caused it to be a used car both have been great. Prices for parts are about the same. Although the XJ seems to like radiators and water pumps where the Civic is content with just a radiator.

The road: Civic: to and from work and around town this is where it shines. XJ: Crap weather, can pull downed trees out of the road or drive around them, easy to sleep in if need be.

Usefulness: Civic: save lots money on fuel, that unique 4 banger sound (which I like), Can hold way more stuff than expected, useful in autocross events. XJ: Little worry about not finding a way home, Can move many of your possessions at once especially with a trailer on back, Has the ability to take you to places you would normally have to walk to see.

Misc: Civic: Its orange with a black hood, I like looking at it, music sounds great in it, low to the ground, no emissions test required, interesting swaps both mechanical and visual possible. XJ: Just nice to be in, many cool visual and just plain useful upgrades possible, its red (which is the perfect color for any vehicle), okish to sleep in, has a useful center console.

To sum up: I may sell off the Civic this summer and buy a TDI VW or a Hybrid but I cant find a newer vehicle better than the XJ(unless they do a diesel in the Wangler unlimited and subtract price). Both are good at what they do and have great aftermarket parts available. I am happy with both of my purchases.

Default Re: Civic vs XJ

I like this review as I have always been a sport compact owner (3 Civics, 1 Integra)... All I had personally owned, until the purchase of my XJ.. I def. have to agree that the Honda's are awesome on gas, and the most easy cars to work on pretty much anything and parts can be had at every JY, and every parts store you can find fairly cheap... not to mention all kinds of aftermarket sites... I think if I were to replace a Civic, I would def. go with the VW TDI... Those things are fairly easy to work on, lots of upgrades if you choose, get amazing mileage even with the upgrades done, and they can be run on biodiesel which can save you even more money on them each time they are driven..

Overall awesome Product Review though.... Thanks John!!
    FORMER GREEN XJ CLUB MEMBER
    IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM!!
    DOING SOMETHING JUST BECAUSE YOUR BUDDY DOES IT THAT WAY MAKES AS MUCH SENSE AS SHARING TOOTHBRUSHES

07Negative is offline Level: Uber Jeep Cherokee Trailer Queen

My 5th gen civic was a 400hp rubber band. Loved that car! GSR motor twin charged. Got great mpg until you got heavy on the gas. It was too low. I'd get stuck on speed bumps at the super market. But the car was a blast! The knuckle head I sold it to hydro locked the motor shortly after buying it off me

XjJeepacorn is offline Level: Uber Jeep Cherokee Trailer Queen

I scrapped my 98 ex this weekend, didn't pass the smog so I took the tires and scrapped the rest
    Be ware of my BIG DOG complex

cantab27 is offline Level: Uber Jeep Cherokee Trailer Queen

yeah but its still only a Honda...................
    keeping it red........

I DRIVE A BARBIE JEEP

Quote Originally Posted by XJ4IV
    .... lol Im a jerk tonight!
    Originally Posted by bigjim350 View Post
    Think I would go that crazy too if my Jeep turned white

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGg0C...eature=related

Nice write up but this seems like apples and oranges here. Two are built for two different purposes.

I buy a Jeep not for the gas mileage but for the its ability to 4x4 at the cost of gas mileage.

If I had a Honda I would not take it anywhere the pavement.
    US Army 2005 - 2014
    US Army Reserves 2014 - Present

2001 XJ Limited 4dr I6 Auto.

"Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!"

Capt. John Parker, Lexington militia

nickxj94 is offline Level: Uber Jeep Cherokee Trailer Queen

I run over a Honda with mine :evil laugh:
    --______......
    . /__| _ | _\ / / \,____.
    |/ \ \_ | _/_/ \|EIIIIIIEI
    '( o ))-=--) ( o ))--=--)).Just another GREEN XJ lifted on 33's

that's so awesome. my buddy has a slammed 99 civic hatch and a lifted 97 xj...best of both worlds I guess

Personally never cared for the small old foreign stuff,,,,so if it was me the decision would be easy