Thread: Exhausting the beast

Default Exhausting the beast

Ok, when i bought the 89 I have it had a huge glass pack on it thought it sounded good. Since then the tail pipe is no longer in use, oops, and it seems that the glass pack is next to leave. My problem is i don't want to loose performance by getting something else cuz it does good with what i have, but it is just way to loud. Makes my neighbors a lil angry with me. Thinking of getting the 27.99 THRUSH at advance. I have read it has good performance and decent sound. Anyone have any comments, and or life lessons on it?

Default Re: Exhausting the beast

I don't have anything on the Thrush.. but I am running the Flowmaster 40 Series on mine and love the sound... and it really isn't that loud as far as bothering the neighbors... I picked up my Flowmaster exhaust setup complete from Rusty's offroad... They do have it with a Glasspack, the Flowmaster as well as another muffler that is supposed to be similar to the Flowmaster.. It was way cheaper to pick up that exhaust and shipping than it was to have a local shop do the same exhaust..
    FORMER GREEN XJ CLUB MEMBER
    IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM!!
    DOING SOMETHING JUST BECAUSE YOUR BUDDY DOES IT THAT WAY MAKES AS MUCH SENSE AS SHARING TOOTHBRUSHES

I was going to go with the super 40, just can't fit that into my budget right now. A buddy I work with pulled his mustang apart and said he would sell me one of his super 40 for 15 bucks but they are kinda old and used..... I'm just going to do a driveway fix up until I can get it welded up.

LizardRunner is offline Level: Uber Jeep Cherokee Trailer Queen

Thrush makes pretty good mufflers, I had a set on my GTO way back when and they worked quite well. The red lizard has a flowmaster 50 series, but it came to me that way.
    2004 4.7v8HO WJ OMG, it's RED , Green bits are now under the hood. Loving the F/R Lockers and D44's. RIP 2011 Lil Ric and Gordo. RIP 2012 Jessie RIP 2013 Kat. RIP 2013 Ed . Lizards can always climb but sometimes they loose their tails to get away. The true patriot will stand beside the soldier when the time comes to fight Now building Asnikiye heca (Buzzard's Roost) homestead farm. My road is my wheeling trail

prerunner1982 is offline Level: Uber Jeep Cherokee Trailer Queen

Nothing wrong with old and used.... your Jeep is old and used and if you are like most Jeepers it should be off roaded which means it may get busted and bruised.

I am running a Magnaflow I had on my old Chevy truck before I went with dual 2 Flowmaster.. the Magnaflow has a nice sound and not too loud for the neighbors.
    1993 2 door 4x4 4.0 5 speed
    1997 4 door 4x2 4.0 auto RIP 6/6/2016
    2000 4 door 4x2 4.0 auto

Day of Dirt Adventure

I have the Thrush glasspack on mine with an APN header and 2.5 mandrel bent pipe all the way out the factory location. I love they way it sounds, deep and burly at idle, and barks nicely when opened up. I do get a droan on the highway, but that could be amplified by the lack of interior carpet and swiss cheese floorboards... I'd say go for it, its cheap enough, if you dont like it, you can save for something else. at least it gets you back wheelin!
    Just Empty Every Pocket

Got the 30 dollar special, and a few parts of pipe. Wow what a diff. It almost sounds like it isn't running at all. The one thing I can say is it may be a little more on the hush side compared to the blown out glasspack, a lil more than expected, but the overall performance of my xj changed none. A+ on thw cheapo special. Close to stock sound (??) but no drop on HP but yet to get MPG......or better yet GPM lol.

No extra power to be had but it seems that the torque curve is better. Much smoother throughout the powerband. Also have noticed a bit more mpg compared to the wide open straight pipe that once was a glasspack.

Damn that near stock sound, needed more manly grunt. Traded the turbo out for another glasspack, cost 20 bucks and well worth it. Great sound still gettin good mpg (yeah right it is still an xj, lol).

prerunner1982 is offline Level: Uber Jeep Cherokee Trailer Queen

I still think this is the best exhaust, but I keep getting funny looks....I don't get it?

1993 2 door 4x4 4.0 5 speed
    1997 4 door 4x2 4.0 auto RIP 6/6/2016
    2000 4 door 4x2 4.0 auto

Day of Dirt Adventure

Just right for parking garages
    230 hp 4.3L Chevy
    Built 4L60E with manual lockout
    Atlas 4 speed
    Griffin radiator
    On board air
    Warn 9.5ti on custom bumper
    7.5" RE front and bastard pack rear on custom long arms
    30 gal gas tank
    lockers
    And a bunch of other stuff

That is awesome, why didn't I think of that!!!!!!