Thread: Brake lite switch

Default Brake lite switch

Hi,I have a 99 Cherokee the brake lights where staying on but have stopped but i have to pull up on the brake pedal to get the cruise control to kick in,I've tried to reset the brake switch by pulling and pushing on the plunger and turning it back and forth with no results no clicking are anything. any suggestion

nickxj94 is offline Level: Uber Jeep Cherokee Trailer Queen

Replace it more than likely it's worn out
    --______......
    . /__| _ | _\ / / \,____.
    |/ \ \_ | _/_/ \|EIIIIIIEI
    '( o ))-=--) ( o ))--=--)).Just another GREEN XJ lifted on 33's

Default Re: Brake lite switch

The switch still works the lights and if i pull up on the brake pedal the cruise control will kick in so the switch still works just not able to reset it and if it needs to be replaced how do you get the darn thing off ? I guess if worst comes to worst i can just bend the bracket a bit.

Brake pedal coming all the way back?
    230 hp 4.3L Chevy
    Built 4L60E with manual lockout
    Atlas 4 speed
    Griffin radiator
    On board air
    Warn 9.5ti on custom bumper
    7.5" RE front and bastard pack rear on custom long arms
    30 gal gas tank
    lockers
    And a bunch of other stuff

Got it fixed,To take out the switch turn counter clock wise about a half inch gently pull out then i took a 7mm wrench and pulled up on the plunger,had to pull kinda hard if it pulls all the way out just put back in and push down till u hear one click then put the switch back in and turn clock wise then release the brake pedal you'll hear a few clicks i used a piece of wood to hold the pedal down braced the wood against the seat took about 5 min easy easy.

I'm almost wondering if you have to use a wrench to pull it out, and had to pull hard... that maybe you don't need to replace it anyways... When mine went out, the cruise control wouldn't engage like you were saying... and then later I found out that my brake lights weren't working... but I had the cruise control issue first for a little while and while trouble shooting it I found out that the brake lights stopped working towards the end... and that is when I figured out that it had to be the switch.. it is like 19.95 or something if I remember correctly... and there are a bunch of little copper or brass tabs inside that are contacts for different functions that the brake switch does... and they tend to brake over time and jamb up stuff... which is what it almost sounds like could be going on with yours...
    FORMER GREEN XJ CLUB MEMBER
    IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM!!
    DOING SOMETHING JUST BECAUSE YOUR BUDDY DOES IT THAT WAY MAKES AS MUCH SENSE AS SHARING TOOTHBRUSHES

The switch cost 14.99 at autozone,I disconnected the switch from the harness and the connectors where all good and you could probably pull the plunger up with ur fingers but it hurts the fingers a bit,wrench made it easier,pulling hard maybe not.

Its a knack getting that switch off huh ..

What can happen with the switch ... well, one of mine at least ... is that one of the brass contacts inside - breaks off - and gets jammed up in the switch.

Can be repaired by replacing the contact with a spare from another switch ... but at 14 U.S. for a replacement switch ... its probably not worth tinkering with.
    I hate watching simplicity and reliability being ruined by bureaucracy and technology.

Quote Originally Posted by MattybPDX
    If my jeep is going to be a grocery getter it's at least going to be a friggin awesome one.