Chats

Unhappy Question on regearing.

So my wheel bearings raped my last axel and i found it was cheaper to buy a new dana 35 and dana 30 for 100 then doing the bearings. after doing my far share of research o found that my I4 had stock 4.10 gearing i believe. Now the axels i bought were sold to me as 4:10 but after the install my jeeps seems to pull much harder and keep up on the freeway better, an no more 4wd almost like im driving in 4 lo.. i did buy the front and rear axel. So my question is. how hard would it be to pull the gears from my dana 30 and swap them with the gears of the dana 30 i bought? asumming that the two axels i bought have the same gear ratio. he lead me to believe that the were stock but someone had opened the rear diff before and did a sloppy job resealing it and they are painted bright orange.. :/ ha I'll appreciate any advice. Im trying to avoid a front axel swap .

LizardRunner is offline Level: Uber Jeep Cherokee Trailer Queen
    Chats

Default Re: Question on regearing.

if they are indeed 4:10, they aren't stock. A gear change means ring and pinion, proper torque on bolts and setting it up for proper clearances. We have a write up on here about how to do it.
    2004 4.7v8HO WJ OMG, it's RED , Green bits are now under the hood. Loving the F/R Lockers and D44's. RIP 2011 Lil Ric and Gordo. RIP 2012 Jessie RIP 2013 Kat. RIP 2013 Ed . Lizards can always climb but sometimes they loose their tails to get away. The true patriot will stand beside the soldier when the time comes to fight Now building Asnikiye heca (Buzzard's Roost) homestead farm. My road is my wheeling trail

LizardRunner is offline Level: Uber Jeep Cherokee Trailer Queen
    Chats

2004 4.7v8HO WJ OMG, it's RED , Green bits are now under the hood. Loving the F/R Lockers and D44's. RIP 2011 Lil Ric and Gordo. RIP 2012 Jessie RIP 2013 Kat. RIP 2013 Ed . Lizards can always climb but sometimes they loose their tails to get away. The true patriot will stand beside the soldier when the time comes to fight Now building Asnikiye heca (Buzzard's Roost) homestead farm. My road is my wheeling trail

Chats

Quote Originally Posted by SeniorGustas View Post
    So my wheel bearings raped my last axel and i found it was cheaper to buy a new dana 35 and dana 30 for 100 then doing the bearings. after doing my far share of research o found that my I4 had stock 4.10 gearing i believe. Now the axels i bought were sold to me as 4:10 but after the install my jeeps seems to pull much harder and keep up on the freeway better, an no more 4wd almost like im driving in 4 lo.. i did buy the front and rear axel. So my question is. how hard would it be to pull the gears from my dana 30 and swap them with the gears of the dana 30 i bought? asumming that the two axels i bought have the same gear ratio. he lead me to believe that the were stock but someone had opened the rear diff before and did a sloppy job resealing it and they are painted bright orange.. :/ ha I'll appreciate any advice. Im trying to avoid a front axel swap .
    I believe that the 4 cylinder XJ's may have come with 4.10 gears, but 6 cylinder auto trans were 3.55. I seem to remember something about a towing package and they'd come with 4.10. Bottom line is the axles are likely 3.55 if they are stock.

Pretty easy to find out by rotating and counting.

Chats

You can count teeth on ring gear then divide by teeth on the pinion gear to get the ratio... 4cyl Jeeps did come with 4.11 ratios, which are great if your running larger tires...

As for the swap, you'll need a new master install kit & the ability to remove the carrier bearings, plus a run out gauge to check backlash...

Chats

SO.. probably not going to try to regear. hahaha how do i go about counting the gears to figure out my ratio?

Chats

You will have to pull the covers, count the number of the teeth on the ring gear and divide by the number of teeth on the pinion. So for instance a Dana axle 4.10 ratio will have 41 ring gear teeth and 10 pinion teeth. Should be able to find numbers like that on the tags on the cover too
    230 hp 4.3L Chevy
    Built 4L60E with manual lockout
    Atlas 4 speed
    Griffin radiator
    On board air
    Warn 9.5ti on custom bumper
    7.5" RE front and bastard pack rear on custom long arms
    30 gal gas tank
    lockers
    And a bunch of other stuff