Thread: Advice on getting my new Jeep

Default Advice on getting my new Jeep

I went to trade for a 1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4.0, 176,000 miles. Watching it idle it would rev up and then back to idle. When i drove it it seem to not want to go then all of a sudden it would lurch forward. Done that a couple of times and the seemed to drive okay until it sit and idled again. CEL was so autozone put a code scanner on it and got an 02 sensor code also got a p1694 code about no received messages from ecm. 1.possible bus line open. 2. ecm failure. Now i dont know where to trade for it or not. Head liner was sagging, paint was faded in 3 or 4 places, drivers seat broke, tires not bad but could use new ones, AC did not blow cold air, forget to try heater and radio and seemed to have some play in the steering. Everything except the p1694 code i could fix fairly cheap but what about the p1694 code? Is that gonna be expensive? The vehicle i was going to trade even for needs some work done as well. Any ideas on the p1694 code what it is and cost to fix?

Default Re: Advice on getting my new Jeep

something is wrong with the crank position sensor.
    Crankshaft Position Sensor TESTING PROCEDURE 1991 - 2001 4.0L H.O. engines

Near the rear of intake manifold, disconnect sensor pigtail harness connector from main wiring harness.
    Place an ohmmeter across terminals B and C (SEE Image). Ohmmeter should be set to 1K-to-1OK scale for this test.
    The meter reading should be open (infinite resistance). Replace sensor if a low resistance is indicated.
    hope this helps bro
    Shot of Whiskey and a camp fire. Perfect night time

What is the chance it might be the ecm computer?

With that code most likely it's the CPS.. But let a few others read yer post. There are some jeep gurus on here.

Sent from my bulletproof iPhone using the Flapmyjaws app
    Shot of Whiskey and a camp fire. Perfect night time

1694 is a lack of comms from the gearbox controller in the cab ... to the PCM under the hood ... according to my '99 manual.

P1694
    Fault In Companion Module
    No CCD/J1850 messages received from the powertrain control module-Aisin transmission

P1694 (M)
    No CCD Messages received from ECM
    Bus communication failure to PCM.

The code doesnt nescessarilly mean the actual modules are faulty ... as it could be a loose connection or another component in the circuit.

Cant help with what might be causing the issue tho.
    I hate watching simplicity and reliability being ruined by bureaucracy and technology.

Quote Originally Posted by MattybPDX
    If my jeep is going to be a grocery getter it's at least going to be a friggin awesome one.

I am retired and dont have a lot money to spend for repairs right now. My car has 209,xxx miles and even though it has some issues i can drive it without doing any repairs for awhile. I might go ahead and trade if i knew the p1694 code was not gonna cost me over 200-300 right now to get it fixed.

That's a really tough one, Michael... Trading from one car with issues you're familiar with to another one with issues that you're not. I have to say though.... even with all the little issues my Jeep has come up with, I am so glad I bought it. I would never get rid of it!

Your idle issue could be the idle air control valve (really easy fix), the O2 sensor code could be as simple as the wires on the O2 sensor being faulty. Free and easy fix if ya have your own wire that you can splice (that's what my O2 sensor code was... hopefully yours is as simple as that). As far as your other codes, some of these other guys can help you far more than I can. I do want to let you know about rockauto.com. I've bought many parts from there for a much better price than local stores, but you have to reference pricing between them and the stores. Most of these guys may tell you not to buy any TPS, CPS, PCM, etc from Rockauto and to get them from certain places, but again, some of these fellas have more experience with that too.

Welcome to the site and we hope that you'll stick around whether you get this Jeep or not!