Thread: Invertor Addition

Default Invertor Addition

I have a 1999 Jeep Cherokee sport. This is my daily driver. I want to install my Cobra CPI 1550.1500 watt inverter under my front passenger seat. This inverter will be for occasional light use. Rec use mainly dvd, flat screen 17” TV,occasional power tool,)

I understand I may have to raise seat a touch. I have previously changed wiring to starter and alternator to #4 wire. I also changed ground wire from battery to engine to new #4.
    I have a Bussman 150 amp breaker that I believe I can install on top of engine fuse box. (Power Distribution Center) If I can't install it under the seat maybe i”ll just terminate the leads to an Anderson plug.

My questions are:

1.Will the run (approximately 8 ft.) from battery cutoff/breaker to under seat inverter have too much voltage drop?
    2.I would really like to use an Interstate battery. Which one would be best. Starting has never been a problem,with I believe is the OEM alternator. Not sure how to measure for alternator amperage output. (ammeter in line with battery terminal,car running,loads on.???)
    3.Should braided ground strap also be changed (please say no) and if so to same #4?
    4.I believe there are three major grounds that I should check and clean. Or maybe it's two and it was suggested I add a supplemental to one. Is anyone familiar with this.
    5.Why do people point to their wrist when asking for the time, but don't
    point to their a** when they ask where the bathroom is? Seriously though,Thanking All in advance.
    Last edited by Klaatu55; 11-20-2012 at 10:44 AM.

Default Re: Invertor Addition

I have a 1750 in mine, not under the seat. You should run both positive and ground directly to the battery. But be advised, you won't run anything of consequence for long if the engine is not running. However many amps your stuff pulls, it will pull 12 times as many off the battery.
    230 hp 4.3L Chevy
    Built 4L60E with manual lockout
    Atlas 4 speed
    Griffin radiator
    On board air
    Warn 9.5ti on custom bumper
    7.5" RE front and bastard pack rear on custom long arms
    30 gal gas tank
    lockers
    And a bunch of other stuff

LizardRunner is offline Level: Uber Jeep Cherokee Trailer Queen

I'm thinking three battery set up for converter use like your talking about. I'd go up to #1 wire too just to limit the drop over an 8 ft run.
    2004 4.7v8HO WJ OMG, it's RED , Green bits are now under the hood. Loving the F/R Lockers and D44's. RIP 2011 Lil Ric and Gordo. RIP 2012 Jessie RIP 2013 Kat. RIP 2013 Ed . Lizards can always climb but sometimes they loose their tails to get away. The true patriot will stand beside the soldier when the time comes to fight Now building Asnikiye heca (Buzzard's Roost) homestead farm. My road is my wheeling trail

Icon10 Re: Invertor Addition

I must have missed something in my readings. Why three batteries and #1 wire? Is this the way RVs and truckers do it? Have mercy.

I run two batteries. The inverter is hooked to the secondary battery.
    230 hp 4.3L Chevy
    Atlas 4 speed
    Griffin radiator
    On board air
    30 gal gas tank
    lockers

What should be next purchase better alternator or second battery? Betting on Alternator.

It is a toss up. Depends on how you are going to use it. Big alternators are always good
    230 hp 4.3L Chevy
    Atlas 4 speed
    Griffin radiator
    On board air
    30 gal gas tank
    lockers

No real plans for it. Basically just wanted to get in in first.

I went the dual battery route, but will add a big alternator later. Inverters are nice. I run a small fridge with mine when wheeling and camping
    230 hp 4.3L Chevy
    Atlas 4 speed
    Griffin radiator
    On board air
    30 gal gas tank
    lockers

LizardRunner is offline Level: Uber Jeep Cherokee Trailer Queen

Yes RV's are set up with one starting battery and two aux batteries for the inverter, that's why, if your going to run serious stuff it is good to go with the three battery setup, to for the inverter and one for the engine. a bigger alternator is always a good thing, especially with a winch and dual batteries like Steve runs. The larger cables are insurance that you are getting all the current you can from your setup. when it comes to battery cables, larger is always better. I'm going to go with a dual setup when I get my winch and bumper. I'll also add an inline isolator so the startong battery doesn't drain .
    2004 4.7v8HO WJ OMG, it's RED , Green bits are now under the hood. Loving the F/R Lockers and D44's. RIP 2011 Lil Ric and Gordo. RIP 2012 Jessie RIP 2013 Kat. RIP 2013 Ed . Lizards can always climb but sometimes they loose their tails to get away. The true patriot will stand beside the soldier when the time comes to fight Now building Asnikiye heca (Buzzard's Roost) homestead farm. My road is my wheeling trail

I hear that. Have to read up on this isolator. I knew there was a component missing. Thanks, Sure I will need advice later on. So be sure to stick around, and Happy Thanksgiving