Thread: Turnsignal/ hazard/ brake light problem

Default Turnsignal/ hazard/ brake light problem

Hello I have a 1996 jeep Cherokee sport with the inline 6 I just got it last week had to fix a bunch of stuff. Now the only thing left is there is some electrical problem. The turn signal maxi fuse under the hood keeps blowing the signals and everything work for a min. Until the fuse blows then there is nothing I have already replaced the turn signal Flasher and break switch. After it blows the signals all around don't work or the hazards or break lights also I think the reverse lights go too. When I was replacing the brake switch the wires coming out of it the white one coming from that switch was spliced into a brown wire coming out of the harness. I cut it off there to replace the switch now it is just taped off hanging there. I have all the diagrams I could get off alldata I think the brown wire is for the door chimes... not sure though. From what iv read 1996 has a lot of problems with this and its pretty hard to find a fix. The only thing I have really found about it issomtimes the turn signal sockets get corroded and it looks like mine are. I have been looking for replacements to spliced in but haven't had luck if anyone has some advice where to get those or a fix for this please let me know need to get on the road!!!

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Default Re: Turnsignal/ hazard/ brake light problem

This kind of stuff is hard to track down without a meter. But one thing you might try is to put a fuse in that is five amps larger and see if it blows. If not, thee is probably something else spliced into the power input for the signals.
    230 hp 4.3L Chevy
    Built 4L60E with manual lockout
    Atlas 4 speed
    Griffin radiator
    On board air
    Warn 9.5ti on custom bumper
    7.5" RE front and bastard pack rear on custom long arms
    30 gal gas tank
    lockers
    And a bunch of other stuff

I tried doing that before replacing the brake switch when the wire was still spliced in. And the signals worked and didn't blow but melted the wires from the brake switch that's why I changed it out was hoping it was the problem but it wasn't... I'm going to get a meter today to help me find out what's wrong. Has anyone heard about replacement turn signal sockets?

Well since I haven't really figured out the problem yet... I figured I would ty something so I went to the junk yard and found a mint 96 Cherokee sport just like mine and I pulled the whole under dash harness ( because mine after inspecting it had multiple spliced wires and remote starts and alarm boxes under the dash everywhere) but none of it worked. Also it had corrosion on the terminals in the steering coulum. Also noticed that a metal box on the passenger side of my jeep is missing and the plugs are just dangling there. Anyone know what that is??? This jeep I found at the junk yardhas been pretty much unmolested except the spliced wire for some fog lights. I'm thinking I will just swap them out plug it in at the firewall run the wires plug all the connectors in after putting dielectric grease on them of course. Sound good?
    I NEEED to fix this problem before it starts snowing if anyone has some help or suggestions it be awesome! Thanks sorry for the long post

prerunner1982 is offline Level: Uber Jeep Cherokee Trailer Queen

Good luck. Doesn't sound like much fun, but hopefully it will work for you. Let us know. If that doesn't do it I would chase the wires for the lights as there may be one that has been cut and it grounding out on the chassis.
    1993 2 door 4x4 4.0 5 speed
    1997 4 door 4x2 4.0 auto RIP 6/6/2016
    2000 4 door 4x2 4.0 auto

Day of Dirt Adventure

If the harness doesn't fix it I would check the ignition switch under your column that wide flat plug jeep used is a big POS! I was having electrical issues with mine and when I started trouble shooting I started there because it was the first switched source so I opened the column halves and seen the main power feed wire going in the plug was burned around the insulation and had melted the plug where it was so I cut it loose and chopped the bad part of the plug off as well I then found a female flat crimp conn. that fit the male on the switch and crimped it on the wire after I had cut away the burn't part and all my friggin elec. gremlins were now gone so its just an idea I had and it worked!!!!!!!!
    1996 xj 4.0 HO 2-5"drv.lights 2-4"pencil beam spots on bumper,urethane control arm bushings,urethane track bar bushings, elec.fan, RR header, magna flo high flo cat,40 series flowmaster with full 2.50" pipe out to bumper,home brewed cold air setup,5.50" super lift coils in front,S10 bastard pack in rear with 5.75" of lift ,31x10.50x15 pro comp xtreme terrains on 05 jeep limited alloys! It only cost me 250.00 for the xj 1775.00 for the exhaust and other misc. parts so 2025 for the heap

Okay so the jeep is running now haven't had a problem with it after the harness swap and and after we cut the abs wire going from the brake switch. Becuae the guy who had the jeep pulled all the abs compontes out. That terminal under the ignition was pretty bad also like you said but the one on the new harness was good. Only thing that is wrong now is the the blower motor speed selector plug was burnt up and so were all the ones in the junkyard. So I'm guessing this is a common problem?

Yes, very common problem. You can get a new switch for it and use "good" criimp connectors on the wires. They handle a lot of amps, around 20 I think so use good spade connectors.
    230 hp 4.3L Chevy
    Built 4L60E with manual lockout
    Atlas 4 speed
    Griffin radiator
    On board air
    Warn 9.5ti on custom bumper
    7.5" RE front and bastard pack rear on custom long arms
    30 gal gas tank
    lockers
    And a bunch of other stuff