Thread: Overhead consele

Default Overhead consele

So on my trip to the junkyard to get a center console i found this.

My XJ is a 1997 wo an overhead console is there any way to me to get it running with my XJ?

and if so what is this for?

Thanks!

Default Re: Overhead consele

I'll start by saying that there are lots of writeups out there that will explain much better than I can but I'll give it a go anyways. I can't remember if it was 97 or 98 that they changed consoles. Check into that first. If it won't work, there was a console for the earlier models too. Someone here will prob buy that one off of you.

Assuming it is compatible, you will need a few things.

There is a wiring harness that goes up the right side A piller between the kick panel fuse box and the dome light area. It also has plugs that go across to each visor for the mirror lights. It's a pain in the ass to get this thing out. If you are good at soldering, save yourself some time and cut it where it snakes around the side of the dash. It will make reinstalling it a boat load easier. Before you bother to pull this part, remove the dome light in your XJ and feel around for any extra plugs above the headliner. I've heard some people say that the harness was already there. I wasn't so lucky.

You'll also want to grab the temp sensor from behind the bumper. The factory plug should already be on your XJ, only with nothing plugged into it. Look around the crossmember, that's where mine was hanging. You can get away without the roof bracket but since you've gotta go back anyways, grab it too. You'll prob need a cordless drill & a bit to drill out the spotweld that holds it up. Use a rivet in your XJ to hold it up. I didn't grab the bracket when I got mine so I just cut a slot in my headliner and slid it in and it's held fine so far. Still gonna get it the next time I'm at the yard though.

That plug you asked about is for the keyless entry. If you have keyless already, you'll find that in your dome light too. Easy to remove from the dome, not so easy to remove from the console. You don't really need the plastic shell around the board anyway so you can cut it up a little bit to swap boards. You'll need to use the board that matches your current transmitters unless you have a way of reprogramming them.

Ok thanks for all of that I will do some digging later to see what I have for connectors.

I have to get some other stuff from the junk yard as well.

My jeep came with keyless entry but the last owner lost the fob so I would need to get one reprogrammed any way.

I've seen keys & fobs together in vehicles before. Just keep an eye out for a late model XJ and give it a quick fob check. If they're in the Jeep grab the board out of that one.