Thread: Going doorless controversy

Default Going doorless controversy

Many say going doorless on their xj will tweak the frame, mess up the body, it is a structural piece of the body so on and so fourth. They also say they or somebody they know went doorless and now the doors wont close correctly or you can see that the body has bent/ moved. Others say the complete opposite. Many people have said they have done it for a while with no side effects. so what is the final verdict? Are the doors a structural piece of the body? Will it cause harm whether it be wheeling or driving down the road? Does it make a difference whether it be 2 doors off or all 4? And is it LEGAL?
    Thank you, Steven

Default Re: Going doorless controversy

Lots of questions Steve

Legality is dependent on state laws. Some states back east don't allow it. It is rarely a matter of tweaking that makes the doors not fit, it is how they are taken off and reinstalled. Lots of people modify the hinges which can affect it, or if unbolted, don't get the shims back in properly. But even so, a door can easily be re shimmed. Yes there is some structural integrity, but not a lot.
    230 hp 4.3L Chevy
    Built 4L60E with manual lockout
    Atlas 4 speed
    Griffin radiator
    On board air
    Warn 9.5ti on custom bumper
    7.5" RE front and bastard pack rear on custom long arms
    30 gal gas tank
    lockers
    And a bunch of other stuff

I see no legitimate reason they would have any effect on rigidity other than possibly hindering it by adding weight. I guess maybe (maybe) the top and bottom hinges might add a small bit BUT if the body is going to tweak its going to be vertically. Therefore making the hinge rigidity mute. I don't see how the latches could add anything because they are loosely surrounding the post. And the only other pieces that should be contacting both the doors and body are wiring, door stop, and weatherstripping. None of which contribute any stiffness, as they aren't meant to.

For me, doesn't matter. Now, as legality goes, it varies. Although even if you check and see it is legal in your area, some find it too much trouble because they still get hassled.

You might be surprised how much strength is provided by the doors in a monocoque, passenger vehicle ... particularly in a head-on accident.

If its on offroad only, beater ... whats a few tweaks and twists compared to the rest of the "trail damage" ??

Legality wise it will probably depend on whether the state rulemakers are enforcing any "side impact intrusion" / passenger containment, regulations that federal may have applied - pertaining to vehicle standards .. but maybe US DOT doesnt deal with it ??

No doors on TJs / JKs is an issue down here ... because our rulemakers cant comprehend that the door opening is above the spec height for side intrusion protection ... and that the models are designed structurally ... to perform with no doors.

Personally I dont know what the "no door" fuss is about on public roads ... If its really that big an issue .... they should ban doorless vehicles like motorbikes, bicycles, old age pensioner gophers, and tractors ...
    Last edited by Carves; 10-26-2012 at 01:03 AM.
    I hate watching simplicity and reliability being ruined by bureaucracy and technology.

Quote Originally Posted by MattybPDX
    If my jeep is going to be a grocery getter it's at least going to be a friggin awesome one.

Wheeled mine doorless for a while. No problems. Doors are back on now and line up perfect.

LizardRunner is offline Level: Uber Jeep Cherokee Trailer Queen

Doorless is a good excuse to add a roll cage. I've only seen one doorless XJ being driven on the streets here but he has some tube doors installed, and a cage.
    2004 4.7v8HO WJ OMG, it's RED , Green bits are now under the hood. Loving the F/R Lockers and D44's. RIP 2011 Lil Ric and Gordo. RIP 2012 Jessie RIP 2013 Kat. RIP 2013 Ed . Lizards can always climb but sometimes they loose their tails to get away. The true patriot will stand beside the soldier when the time comes to fight Now building Asnikiye heca (Buzzard's Roost) homestead farm. My road is my wheeling trail

KH96XJ is offline Level: Uber Jeep Cherokee Trailer Queen

I've had my doors off for a couple months now. I have yet to be hassled by any police in the Dallas area because of it. I have my one required rear view mirror so I am not in violation of the state laws, even had the inspection done with the doors off. I haven't done enough trail runs with out the doors yet to comment on the structural integrity. I doubt I will put the doors back on until I figure out my electrical window issue. My XJ is mainly a toy and backup to my daily driver so I am ok with it the way it sits now.
    I aspire to be the man my dogs think I am.

I'm a noob on this site, but this thread attracted my attention. I have modified my door hinges so I can easily remove and replace the doors front and rear. I also am in the process of fabbing half doors for the front that will have snap on canvas windows ala Wrangler doors.

No, the doors never fit quite right again, but the fun of wheelin in the summer with no doors is important to me. In the past I envied the Wrangler owners for this reason. There are no laws here to prevent going doorless and I really don't care about the structural issues because the vehicle is for having fun. In the colder times or for snow runs I put the doors back on (reluctantly).

One other thing, I don't use my XJ as a daily driver so how the doors fit is not too much of an issue and my XJ has so much rock-rash that cosmetics is not too much of a factor.

My wife won't ride in the XJ without the doors ... oh well, stay home then.