Thread: Push button start

Default Push button start

I'm trying to instal a push button start and I need to know the best place to get the wire in the cab of the jeep

Default Re: Push button start

The best place for that is your hot to the ignition switch on the bottom of the steering column. If you don't mind my asking, why are you doing this?
    230 hp 4.3L Chevy
    Built 4L60E with manual lockout
    Atlas 4 speed
    Griffin radiator
    On board air
    Warn 9.5ti on custom bumper
    7.5" RE front and bastard pack rear on custom long arms
    30 gal gas tank
    lockers
    And a bunch of other stuff

Well a little while ago the relay next to the battery for the starter trigger went bad so if been pretty much hot wiring my jeep for a while and I figured that I trout the push button s tart was cool anyway so why not

I see. The purpose of that relay is to keep from pulling too much current through the dash wiring. You might want to listen to Jeep Tips from the pod cast #51. To do what you want to do, you should use a source directly from the battery. The starter solenoid pulls quite a bit of current and you will need more than a normal push button switch to start it. I haven't checked the current draw from the starter relay to the starter, but it is considerable and more than the usual 10 amps switches are rated for. I would suggest replacing that relay, much easier. But if you are set on a push button start, then get the power directly from the battery
    230 hp 4.3L Chevy
    Atlas 4 speed
    Griffin radiator
    On board air
    30 gal gas tank
    lockers

Ok thank you how much is that relay?

Not sure. Check NAPA and see. They are very reliable and can be had cheap at wrecking yards
    230 hp 4.3L Chevy
    Atlas 4 speed
    Griffin radiator
    On board air
    30 gal gas tank
    lockers

This is how I would do this..... Find the button you want to use... doesnt really matter here, its just going to be used for a trigger source, but it will need to be a momentary switch. A standard relay could be used in line to trigger a universal starter solenoid, to then trigger the vehicles starter solenoid... so basically the switch would trigger the relay, the current passed thru the relay will be more than adequate to trigger a starter solenoid, which is obviously big enough to handle the amperage draw of the actual starter/starter solenoid on the vehicle.

For the switch to the relay wiring use 16 awg wire, that will be good enough, for the relay to solenoid wiring use 12 gauge wire, and for the solenoid to solenoid connection I would highly recommend no less than 8 awg wire.

Power for the relay can come from your ignition switch and I would use the 12 awg wire for this.....Same for the connection from the relay to the solenoid...... but power for the solenoid SHOULD come directly from its own fused circuit directly from the battery. I would also highly suggest you use a circuit breaker to fuse this circuit, rather than a "one-and-done" fuse... this way, if something were to happen, you aren't left stranded or have to resort to hot wiring your jeep again just to make it home.

If you want help with wiring diagrams for this PM me and let me know, and I'll see if I cant draw something up here to share with you and others who want to do this sort of thing.
    5" lift, 33's. Armored, Lighted, Chipped, & Locked up Front. Soon to come: winch, gears, axle shafts, and more...
    Built Not Bought - Senior Member
    TheVoiceofJosh.com/

Here..... Figured I'd whip something up real quick for reference:

5" lift, 33's. Armored, Lighted, Chipped, & Locked up Front. Soon to come: winch, gears, axle shafts, and more...
    Built Not Bought - Senior Member
    TheVoiceofJosh.com/

Awesome thanks that helps me a lot. Ill make sure to take some pix and put them up.