Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Chats

Default Re: DirtBoundOffroad Electric Fan Set Up

Quote Originally Posted by gary63 View Post
    what type of coolen are you using and are you using any additives like red line wetter water and is the coolent prey mix or did you mix it?
    Straight water.

Chats

is it disteld becouse reg. water will leve hard water minroles like calceum lime and other that will reasrececd or even plugwater passages.Soft water will do the same but with salt.It will afect some motors more than other becouse of the casting on the inside of the motor.But if you are useing just water try red line wetter water it help the water put heat out of the steel.

Chats

is it disteld becouse reg. water will leve hard water minroles like calceum lime and other that will reasrececd or even plugwater passages.Soft water will do the same but with salt.It will afect some motors more than other becouse of the casting on the inside of the motor.But if you are useing just water try red line wetter water it help the water put heat out of the steel.
    I have distilled water ready, but since the new engine I've only run regular water. With it running hot I thought I better solve the problem before adding in antifreeze that is just going to make the coolant harder to pull the heat out.

I figured I'd have it solved by now though.

Chats

will you did alittle hotter cam over stock so it may need alittle more richer.If it
    is running alittle lead it will run alittle hotter. I know when we change out a cam in carbrated motors you had to ajust the richness and with the comp. fuel injection the program it still trying to work with the old cam spicks.Are you running any after markit chip?

Chats

will you did alittle hotter cam over stock so it may need alittle more richer.If it
    is running alittle lead it will run alittle hotter. I know when we change out a cam in carbrated motors you had to ajust the richness and with the comp. fuel injection the program it still trying to work with the old cam spicks.Are you running any after markit chip?
    No. I do have the ability to adjust the distributor. I've made one adjustment and was monitoring any changes. About time for another.

Chats

Quote Originally Posted by ezbuzzsaw View Post
    Well this one is hard for me to write, I bought the kit and I cannot say I am happy with it. I am amazed at its cooling power and surprised you say it only has the same CFM as the original. My kit is keeping my XJ at 160 when it is under 85 degrees and at 200 when at 90 to 100, yes I live in Houston so this higher temp is most of the year, LOL. The shroud is very thin and does not fit well in a 1992 as designed. The install as instructed would have been sloppy, so I modified the cross brace for the top of the radiator instead, and that made for a much cleaner install. It is a pain to work on the front of the engine with this in place. With my extra lights and these fans my OEM alternator could not keep up, so we did a Dakota upgrade to a 130 amp (Mopar # 56005686), requiring removal of the alternator bracket, to do the alternator you have to remove the passenger side fan or the whole kit. But after modifying the alt. bracket the new high amp system runs the fans well, even with all lights on at idle. I think the fans can be replace with a Haden brand I will let you all know if they ever fail and will post the Haden part number. I have a forth fan in front as a pusher as a backup system, planning a west Texas trip soon and wanted backup system in case of a failure. So as far as why I am not happy, the shroud design is functional but is thin and needs the bugs worked out. Pre-wire kit was crude, (poorly done), just do it yourself. The crimp on terminals were not even water tight type and some came off easily when pulled slightly during install. I rewired mine to clean it up, their design puts the relays by the fans not sure why. It will be easy to hook it up for two fans then three on the controller and I do suggest you do that if you are in a warmer area. I will have mine set up after fully prototyped for ECU control telling their switch to come on and a manual override switch just in case for power on and full off for water crossings. So to be fair it is working as advertised, maybe it is just too expensive for what you get. Also I am sure the regular alternator can run these fans but I have IPF Super Rally lights and IPF head lights draining the power. This is a tough install on a 1992 XJ, maybe it is easier on a newer model. If you are willing to work very hard to debug this you will end up with a great cooling system that should solve all your cooling problems. Hope this helps and you find it a fair and balanced review.
    Jake,
    Here is a review from me earlier this year on the fan system. The fans are
    ~5 months old now and in Houston's mild winters I have to turn the fans off due to them working too well. I do use a water wetter additive so with all this woking well the Jeep runs too cool.
    I am still ordering a few things from Dirt Bound if that is any indication. I just got in my rear window storage rack from them last week. I am going to have to have it blasted before paint due to rust on arrival. I like thier products there just seems to be a lack of attention to detail. But maybe I am too harsh I am a QA/QC Manager for a living, LOL. Get this, right after I get my rack in they started a promo to get a second one for 50% off, I sure would have gone for that one.
    Hope it all goes well for you on this Mod, I am happy I did it and would do it again.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234