Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Chats

Default Re: Headlight Upgrade- Housings?

I came up with one for backup lights. Pep Boys has an aux driving light just the right size to go in the back up light module. That would give a 55W backup light. You would have to upgrade wiring though. On my list and maybe my birthday present.
    230 hp 4.3L Chevy
    Built 4L60E with manual lockout
    Atlas 4 speed
    Griffin radiator
    On board air
    Warn 9.5ti on custom bumper
    7.5" RE front and bastard pack rear on custom long arms
    30 gal gas tank
    lockers
    And a bunch of other stuff

Chats

Quote Originally Posted by Brasscatz View Post
    I found a pic of somebody's xj a while back and I just think it looks awesome! These lights would provide much better visibility too. It's definitely on my list of want-to-do!
    Uhmmm...... YES, YES PLEASE!!! If I can find a "H4-to-7"round-conversion-kit" ...not only would I buy it, I would re-vamp all my auxilary lights from square to round, and go with some tube style bumpers and rails instead of square plate.... I've always liked the round-eye XJ's....Nice Find Brasascatz!!!

Quote Originally Posted by oderdene View Post
    I read some info about headlight upgrade, decided to order autopal 200mm euro headlights with 100/90 bulb.
    Thats a good kit, popular choice among a lot of XJ Owners. I dont think I could get away with the 90watt low beams around here though.
    5" lift, 33's. Armored, Lighted, Chipped, & Locked up Front. Soon to come: winch, gears, axle shafts, and more...
    Built Not Bought - Senior Member
    TheVoiceofJosh.com/

Chats

Quote Originally Posted by 4.3LXJ View Post
    I came up with one for backup lights. Pep Boys has an aux driving light just the right size to go in the back up light module. That would give a 55W backup light. You would have to upgrade wiring though. On my list and maybe my birthday present.
    Got the harness installed tonight, will take some pics in the AM. Should the connection between the factory harness and the Putco harness get taped up or something?

I don't have a Pep Boys nearby, does this fit in the factory backup light location in the tail light?
    2003 WJ Daily Adventuremobile
    1985 MF 250 Tractor (Fixed!!!)
    1999 XJ (in pieces in the driveway)
    1991 Explorer (Cracked Heads)(Stock, for now )
    1989 F150 (In progress-Blown freeze plugs)
    2003 Explorer 1.5" body lift, F150 towhooks, rare OEM skidplates, 265/70-16 Cooper Discoverer AT3's
    1979 K20, (in pieces in the yard) 350, NP465, NP205, Custom Rust Patches
    1970 C30 (tires tore open by bushhog)

Chats

You will have to do some surgery on the lens, but it will fit there without affecting the signal lens
    230 hp 4.3L Chevy
    Built 4L60E with manual lockout
    Atlas 4 speed
    Griffin radiator
    On board air
    Warn 9.5ti on custom bumper
    7.5" RE front and bastard pack rear on custom long arms
    30 gal gas tank
    lockers
    And a bunch of other stuff

Chats

I have the Hella housings and Hella 100/89 bulbs with the LMC harness... Have to say def one of my favorite and best mods ever for my XJ, especially with the back farm roads I drive almost every night with all kinds of animals walking around..
    FORMER GREEN XJ CLUB MEMBER
    IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM!!
    DOING SOMETHING JUST BECAUSE YOUR BUDDY DOES IT THAT WAY MAKES AS MUCH SENSE AS SHARING TOOTHBRUSHES

Chats

Quote Originally Posted by NW99XJ View Post
    ............... I dont think I could get away with the 90watt low beams around here though.
    I dont think 90w is a legal low beam wattage anywhere ??

The good thing about the e-code lense tho - is the "cut off" limits of the light projection in front of the vehicle ...

So as long as the lights are aimed correctly ... and the bulb brightness is not excessive for its wattage ... they cause minimal inconvenience to oncoming traffic - compared to the US "dot" approved XJ lights ...
    I hate watching simplicity and reliability being ruined by bureaucracy and technology.

Quote Originally Posted by MattybPDX
    If my jeep is going to be a grocery getter it's at least going to be a friggin awesome one.

Chats

I bought the IPF housings and bulbs and have been very happy with the purchase. They are very bright and the light color is great, to avoid buying the very high priced harness, I bought High heat plugs and made my own system, the original leads now power relays that run 10 gauge wire fused but direct to the IPF bulbs. So this means my 1992 wiring harness only sees a few milliamps to power the new relays and should last a long time. It does put a little redundancy into the system but with such a small load I am hoping the original relays can last for years to come. Some say my XJ is really an electrical engineering project. LOL

Chats

Got the Putco harness, Hella housings and 55/100 bulbs installed today....nice.

Major improvement at night, the low beams with the sharp cut-off really makes the high-beams not needed as much....I did a little driving around the farm and found the low beams to be the preferred unless I was trying to see distance.
    Last edited by Dredwolf; 10-21-2012 at 12:03 AM. Reason: add pics
    2003 WJ Daily Adventuremobile
    1985 MF 250 Tractor (Fixed!!!)
    1999 XJ (in pieces in the driveway)
    1991 Explorer (Cracked Heads)(Stock, for now )
    1989 F150 (In progress-Blown freeze plugs)
    2003 Explorer 1.5" body lift, F150 towhooks, rare OEM skidplates, 265/70-16 Cooper Discoverer AT3's
    1979 K20, (in pieces in the yard) 350, NP465, NP205, Custom Rust Patches
    1970 C30 (tires tore open by bushhog)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123