Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    159
    Chats
    1

    Default Looking for fitness forums

    Hey guys, Just wondering if anybody here knows of any good fitness/weightlifting/nutrition forums out there on the net? Fitness is a field I am very interested in, partly because I have to be, and to find a forum that runs similar to this one, in that field, would be amazing. This forum has helped me in more ways then I can list, especially being a newbie to xjs. Although I aint a newbie to fitness, I was hoping to find a forum that runs as great and has the same respect and atmosphere that xjtalk does. I've done some searching but all i really can find are the forums that are more like online stores. . Any out there? As always, any help is greatly appreciated.
    "And that's all I have to say about that."


    The weak accept what they have to accept; The strong do what they have to do.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Chico, CA
    Posts
    29,812
    Chats
    1838

    Default Re: Looking for fitness forums

    I have breezed through a few. Most of the ones I visited when researching supplements are full of hardcore type guys that are willing to take anything to get big and stay big. But I have to tell you that unless you are into competitive body building and on the juice, eating normally is fine. You cannot assimilate more than 25 grams of amino acids post work out anyway. Many of the studies that are cited by nutritional supplement companies are done on guys doing major stuff and are not even relevant to anyone that is natural. There are two guys at the gyms I hang out in. Guys that exercise hard and eat regular meals, and those who are on the juice and exercise a little. Both are very muscular, but the difference in strength is amazing. The juice just makes you big.

    I'm old, but still bench the back yard, minus the outdoor kitchen. LOL It just takes a lot of hard work and you have to always push yourself to the limit.
    230 hp 4.3L Chevy
    Built 4L60E with manual lockout
    Atlas 4 speed
    Griffin radiator
    On board air
    Warn 9.5ti on custom bumper
    7.5" RE front and bastard pack rear on custom long arms
    30 gal gas tank
    lockers
    And a bunch of other stuff

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    159
    Chats
    1

    Default Re: Looking for fitness forums

    Right! I agree. I'm not into supplements or juice or anything i just eat normal food and train hard but I was interested in discussing different work outs, or different type meals/nutrition, etc. Not so much into the hard core body building. I like having a neck, or being able to scratch my back lol A lot of people think that to be "in shape" you have to look like the rock. Not true. The elite athletes, fighters, combatants, do not look like they could throw a fridge.
    "And that's all I have to say about that."


    The weak accept what they have to accept; The strong do what they have to do.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    15,968
    Chats
    3154

    Default Re: Looking for fitness forums

    I don't know of any forums like that, but I used to be into powerlifting and fitness when I was younger. Steve (4.3LXJ) is big into this stuff and would probably be a wealth of knowledge for you. Just like he is with Jeeps.

    Have you looked into Crossfit and forums about it? I would love to get into something like that, but I fear my spine can't handle much anymore. Maybe I just have to work harder!

  5. #5
    cpttuna's Avatar
    cpttuna is offline Level: Uber Jeep Cherokee Trailer Queen
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    napoleon ohio
    Posts
    1,351
    Chats
    0

    Default Re: Looking for fitness forums

    After my open heart surgery, I stumbled onto a rehab /fitness center. Ihave been a member now for about a year and a half. It had a very knowledgeable fitness director and the three times a week that I go and work out are the best. You may be further ahead if you have something like this in your area that you can try out.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Katy, Texas
    Posts
    27,304
    Chats
    30792

    Default Re: Looking for fitness forums

    Quote Originally Posted by Kimber6331 View Post
    Hey guys, Just wondering if anybody here knows of any good fitness/weightlifting/nutrition forums out there on the net? Fitness is a field I am very interested in, partly because I have to be, and to find a forum that runs similar to this one, in that field, would be amazing. This forum has helped me in more ways then I can list, especially being a newbie to xjs. Although I aint a newbie to fitness, I was hoping to find a forum that runs as great and has the same respect and atmosphere that xjtalk does. I've done some searching but all i really can find are the forums that are more like online stores. . Any out there? As always, any help is greatly appreciated.
    What a great compliment to and all it's members!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Chico, CA
    Posts
    29,812
    Chats
    1838

    Default Re: Looking for fitness forums

    Quote Originally Posted by Kimber6331 View Post
    Right! I agree. I'm not into supplements or juice or anything i just eat normal food and train hard but I was interested in discussing different work outs, or different type meals/nutrition, etc. Not so much into the hard core body building. I like having a neck, or being able to scratch my back lol A lot of people think that to be "in shape" you have to look like the rock. Not true. The elite athletes, fighters, combatants, do not look like they could throw a fridge.
    Different work outs come and go. Almost like fad diets. Basically, if you stress the body, it will respond with strength and or endurance. It just depends on your individual goals.
    230 hp 4.3L Chevy
    Built 4L60E with manual lockout
    Atlas 4 speed
    Griffin radiator
    On board air
    Warn 9.5ti on custom bumper
    7.5" RE front and bastard pack rear on custom long arms
    30 gal gas tank
    lockers
    And a bunch of other stuff

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Chico, CA
    Posts
    29,812
    Chats
    1838

    Default Re: Looking for fitness forums

    Quote Originally Posted by Brasscatz View Post

    Have you looked into Crossfit and forums about it? I would love to get into something like that, but I fear my spine can't handle much anymore. Maybe I just have to work harder!
    For those with bad backs, I have a short story to tell. There was an Orthopedic surgeon in Albany, OR that started a clinic for patients with bad backs, all post surgery. It consisted of 36 hours a week of physical therapy. He rented the whole YMCA during certain hours, had a shrink and nutritionist on staff. At the end of 8 weeks, he had a 98% rate of return to former lifestyles and occupations. Not a bad record
    230 hp 4.3L Chevy
    Built 4L60E with manual lockout
    Atlas 4 speed
    Griffin radiator
    On board air
    Warn 9.5ti on custom bumper
    7.5" RE front and bastard pack rear on custom long arms
    30 gal gas tank
    lockers
    And a bunch of other stuff

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    15,968
    Chats
    3154

    Default Re: Looking for fitness forums

    Quote Originally Posted by 4.3LXJ View Post
    For those with bad backs, I have a short story to tell. There was an Orthopedic surgeon in Albany, OR that started a clinic for patients with bad backs, all post surgery. It consisted of 36 hours a week of physical therapy. He rented the whole YMCA during certain hours, had a shrink and nutritionist on staff. At the end of 8 weeks, he had a 98% rate of return to former lifestyles and occupations. Not a bad record
    Not a bad record at all! I was doing physical therapy 3 times a week a few years ago, but insurance only paid for a certain number of visits a year. It was 12 a day with ins., and 80 without. I need to get back into it though.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Chico, CA
    Posts
    29,812
    Chats
    1838

    Default Re: Looking for fitness forums

    The big secret to bad backs is to keep the muscles around the spine strong.
    230 hp 4.3L Chevy
    Built 4L60E with manual lockout
    Atlas 4 speed
    Griffin radiator
    On board air
    Warn 9.5ti on custom bumper
    7.5" RE front and bastard pack rear on custom long arms
    30 gal gas tank
    lockers
    And a bunch of other stuff

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    159
    Chats
    1

    Default Re: Looking for fitness forums

    Quote Originally Posted by 4.3LXJ View Post
    Different work outs come and go. Almost like fad diets. Basically, if you stress the body, it will respond with strength and or endurance. It just depends on your individual goals.
    That's true, depends on preference. Me personally I know I'd never have to be in a situation where Id have to squat 500 pounds or curl 100 pounds, or bench press 500 pounds (expecting to I should say). NOT saying there is no need for power, but Im interested in workouts that represent realistic actions or situations I could be in; fight, run, carry, etc. Im into more strength/ strength endurance then quick but big power. Right now Im trying to balance/mix: resistance training with body weight (push ups, chin/pull ups, dips, body rows, sit ups, etc.)and moderate weight training (bench press, lat pull downs, rows, curls, shoulder press, tri extensions.) three days a week; and every other day is a 5 mile run, sometimes with 50 yard sprints afterwards, sometimes 100, sometimes none lol. Sundays are off. The problem is I am actually losing reps/power in some excerises (not cardio), and I feel I might be losing some muscle. Part of me feels im over working, which i didnt feel before really. Not sure If I can stop/reverse this by increasing calorie intake, change my intake of certain things (protein/carbs), or cut back on resistance training. Thats stuff Im looking into. Besides better nutritional options of course!


    And Brasscatz crossfit is something I definitely would be interested in. heard awesome things about it and awesome results. However, I still dont grasp what it is; a gym, a website, a club,a tape? ls it something I pay to do?
    "And that's all I have to say about that."


    The weak accept what they have to accept; The strong do what they have to do.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Chico, CA
    Posts
    29,812
    Chats
    1838

    Default Re: Looking for fitness forums

    You are experiencing what most football players, professional and college, experience. You can bulk up in the off season, but when the season comes you loose strength even if you are lifting heavy. I don't know how to explain it, but the body seems to give preference to endurance over strength. There are different muscle fibers involved. Slow twitch fibers are the endurance, fast and medium twitch are the strength fibers. It seems that if you try to do both, growth and energy go to the slow twitch fibers. I am not sure if anyone knows why.
    230 hp 4.3L Chevy
    Built 4L60E with manual lockout
    Atlas 4 speed
    Griffin radiator
    On board air
    Warn 9.5ti on custom bumper
    7.5" RE front and bastard pack rear on custom long arms
    30 gal gas tank
    lockers
    And a bunch of other stuff

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Asheville, NC
    Posts
    7,960
    Chats
    39048

    Default Re: Looking for fitness forums

    As I am also in Maryland (when I'm home that is).. I have looked for someone to talk to about getting into a good workout routine or maybe even getting a crash course into getting in shape... I found one that I think is an awesome source, and on top of that located in MD.. Check out Stew Smith Fitness
    Last edited by bluedragon436; 09-20-2012 at 01:23 PM.
    FORMER GREEN XJ CLUB MEMBER
    IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM!!
    DOING SOMETHING JUST BECAUSE YOUR BUDDY DOES IT THAT WAY MAKES AS MUCH SENSE AS SHARING TOOTHBRUSHES

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    15,968
    Chats
    3154

    Default Re: Looking for fitness forums

    Quote Originally Posted by Kimber6331 View Post
    That's true, depends on preference. Me personally I know I'd never have to be in a situation where Id have to squat 500 pounds or curl 100 pounds, or bench press 500 pounds (expecting to I should say). NOT saying there is no need for power, but Im interested in workouts that represent realistic actions or situations I could be in; fight, run, carry, etc. Im into more strength/ strength endurance then quick but big power. Right now Im trying to balance/mix: resistance training with body weight (push ups, chin/pull ups, dips, body rows, sit ups, etc.)and moderate weight training (bench press, lat pull downs, rows, curls, shoulder press, tri extensions.) three days a week; and every other day is a 5 mile run, sometimes with 50 yard sprints afterwards, sometimes 100, sometimes none lol. Sundays are off. The problem is I am actually losing reps/power in some excerises (not cardio), and I feel I might be losing some muscle. Part of me feels im over working, which i didnt feel before really. Not sure If I can stop/reverse this by increasing calorie intake, change my intake of certain things (protein/carbs), or cut back on resistance training. Thats stuff Im looking into. Besides better nutritional options of course!


    And Brasscatz crossfit is something I definitely would be interested in. heard awesome things about it and awesome results. However, I still dont grasp what it is; a gym, a website, a club,a tape? ls it something I pay to do?
    http://www.crossfit.com/cf-info/what-crossfit.html
    There are paid courses you can take, or you can do your own course. You have to keep in mind that when you do the same thing ALL the time, you'll reach a plateau where you'll stop gaining strength and stop burning as many calories because your body gets accustomed. You have to mix it up or ”shock” your muscles which is also what P90X preaches.

    One thing my wife did was she went to a nutritionist doctor and had blood work done. she stopped losing weight no matter what she did. The blood work showed exactly what nutrients she was deficient in. she now eats a paleo deit and takes vitamin supplements on top of her exercise and it worked miracles. Paleo isn't so much a diet rather than a lifestyle change. You basically eat nothing that has been processed only natural. It's amazing how much more energy she has and how much better she feels and she didn't know she even felt bad before!

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Lake Livingston, Texas
    Posts
    1,817
    Chats
    1608

    Default Re: Looking for fitness forums

    I've been training on bikes lately with a good friend of mine. His wife is a personal trainer and knows a lot about this stuff. Here is a way to get some information from her:
    http://beachbodycoach.com/esuite/home/jamijohns

    Since I posted this, don't be stalk'n!! Not a good idea to mess with this woman, 'nuff said!
    Last edited by Firemanray; 09-20-2012 at 03:19 PM.
    _____________________________________________

    98 Cherokee Sport,
    Build thread:http://www.xjtalk.com/showthread.php?t=5172

    Some big gnarly rock crawler thingy.
    Build thread:http://www.xjtalk.com/showthread.php?t=16616

    My offroad Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Team-...75944179170166

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. What goes on in other forums
    By rguignard in forum General Talk
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-19-2011, 04:38 AM
  2. Survey on jeep forums and internet folklore
    By steph74 in forum General Talk
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 11-18-2010, 09:22 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •