Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 65
  1. #1
    cantab27's Avatar
    cantab27 is offline Level: Uber Jeep Cherokee Trailer Queen
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Christchurch new Zealand
    Posts
    14,994
    Chats
    22474

    Default Jeep locking up in reverse

    howdy all...wee problem with jeep now i have sorted out starter,,,,shes locking up in reverse.....drives fine going forward.....does this




    locks up all four wheels........is not in 4wd......put my foot up it and freed up with a bang noise kinda coming from transfer case........its the 231 bolted to the xj auto......thoughts......and yes i do need reverse so i can get it off the trailer....
    keeping it red........

    I DRIVE A BARBIE JEEP

    Quote Originally Posted by XJ4IV
    .... lol Im a jerk tonight!
    Originally Posted by bigjim350 View Post
    Think I would go that crazy too if my Jeep turned white

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGg0C...eature=related


  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    S.E. Texas
    Posts
    29,251
    Chats
    1247

    Default Re: jeep locking up in reverse

    Quote Originally Posted by cantab27 View Post
    howdy all...wee problem with jeep now i have sorted out starter,,,,shes locking up in reverse.....drives fine going forward.....does this




    locks up all four wheels........is not in 4wd......put my foot up it and freed up with a bang noise kinda coming from transfer case........its the 231 bolted to the xj auto......thoughts......and yes i do need reverse so i can get it off the trailer....
    Not ever hearing of this or knowing anything specific i can only guess and just trying to think/imagine what could cause this.

    It seems as there's only areas that could even do this, t-case and brakes. Although since you have mentioned a nasty noise that came from the t-case i would think its safe to say that's your problem area. Now, what could cause that... again never been into a t-case personally i can only guess. Perhaps a worn or broken shift fork? chipped tooth getting wedged when the reverse motion is happening? accidental shifting due to damage or worn components?

    Well, that's probably enough of me taking up space. Just pondering. Interesting dilemma, i'll be watching.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    S.E. Texas
    Posts
    29,251
    Chats
    1247

    Default Re: Jeep locking up in reverse

    Been trying to search and find some answer. Doesn't seem to be much info on this and sifting through the ones that say problems were brakes or diffs (since yours is all 4 tires and even in 2wd i wouldn't think these apply). I have found one possibility. The t-case chain has stretched and is binding or trying to skip a tooth only in reverse.

    Alright, i'll keep looking for more info.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    New Caney, TX
    Posts
    3,582
    Chats
    22489

    Default Re: Jeep locking up in reverse

    Something loose and binding in the Tcase would be my guess. No worries though just run down to the junkyard and grab another for a couple bucks

  5. #5
    cantab27's Avatar
    cantab27 is offline Level: Uber Jeep Cherokee Trailer Queen
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Christchurch new Zealand
    Posts
    14,994
    Chats
    22474

    Default Re: Jeep locking up in reverse

    could be brakes ......has crossed my mine, thought it was until the bang noise why trying to drive through the lock up.....the four wee skids are the wheels skids / dragging why the power is on until it bangs free,,,could be brakes as they are at mo so may be tied in to it all.......have spare rear 44 so it wont be that..lo
    keeping it red........

    I DRIVE A BARBIE JEEP

    Quote Originally Posted by XJ4IV
    .... lol Im a jerk tonight!
    Originally Posted by bigjim350 View Post
    Think I would go that crazy too if my Jeep turned white

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGg0C...eature=related


  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    S.E. Texas
    Posts
    29,251
    Chats
    1247

    Default Re: Jeep locking up in reverse

    Quote Originally Posted by cantab27 View Post
    could be brakes ......has crossed my mine, thought it was until the bang noise why trying to drive through the lock up.....the four wee skids are the wheels skids / dragging why the power is on until it bangs free,,,could be brakes as they are at mo so may be tied in to it all.......have spare rear 44 so it wont be that..lo
    Brakes were my first thought till i read about the noise but also it would have to be the central part of the system, my wording for the booster/master cylinder/pedal. Since it was all four tires and was in 2wd i can't think of a logical reason a problem with the individual brakes could lock all four.

  7. #7
    cantab27's Avatar
    cantab27 is offline Level: Uber Jeep Cherokee Trailer Queen
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Christchurch new Zealand
    Posts
    14,994
    Chats
    22474

    Default Re: Jeep locking up in reverse

    Quote Originally Posted by bigjim350 View Post
    Something loose and binding in the Tcase would be my guess. No worries though just run down to the junkyard and grab another for a couple bucks
    i hate you.............
    keeping it red........

    I DRIVE A BARBIE JEEP

    Quote Originally Posted by XJ4IV
    .... lol Im a jerk tonight!
    Originally Posted by bigjim350 View Post
    Think I would go that crazy too if my Jeep turned white

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGg0C...eature=related


  8. #8
    cantab27's Avatar
    cantab27 is offline Level: Uber Jeep Cherokee Trailer Queen
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Christchurch new Zealand
    Posts
    14,994
    Chats
    22474

    Default Re: Jeep locking up in reverse

    yeah thinks its gonna be tc.......found one for 350.............will wait untill i get it to my mates shop...
    keeping it red........

    I DRIVE A BARBIE JEEP

    Quote Originally Posted by XJ4IV
    .... lol Im a jerk tonight!
    Originally Posted by bigjim350 View Post
    Think I would go that crazy too if my Jeep turned white

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGg0C...eature=related


  9. #9
    cantab27's Avatar
    cantab27 is offline Level: Uber Jeep Cherokee Trailer Queen
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Christchurch new Zealand
    Posts
    14,994
    Chats
    22474

    Default Re: Jeep locking up in reverse

    oh yeah ..can push it back in neutral and it does it.....
    keeping it red........

    I DRIVE A BARBIE JEEP

    Quote Originally Posted by XJ4IV
    .... lol Im a jerk tonight!
    Originally Posted by bigjim350 View Post
    Think I would go that crazy too if my Jeep turned white

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGg0C...eature=related


  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Mesa, AZ
    Posts
    800
    Chats
    696

    Default Re: Jeep locking up in reverse

    If all 4 wheels are locked up, how does it move?
    US Army 2005 - 2014
    US Army Reserves 2014 - Present

    2001 XJ Limited 4dr I6 Auto.

    "Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!"

    Capt. John Parker, Lexington militia

  11. #11
    oderdene's Avatar
    oderdene is offline Level: Uber Jeep Cherokee Trailer Queen
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia
    Posts
    7,068
    Chats
    91

    Default Re: Jeep locking up in reverse

    Quote Originally Posted by cantab27 View Post
    howdy all...wee problem with jeep now i have sorted out starter,,,,shes locking up in reverse.....drives fine going forward.....does this




    locks up all four wheels........is not in 4wd......put my foot up it and freed up with a bang noise kinda coming from transfer case........its the 231 bolted to the xj auto......thoughts......and yes i do need reverse so i can get it off the trailer....
    so, how did you make those black stamps on road?
    '91 XJ Limited | 4.0 H.O. I6 | AW-4 | NP242J | D30 | C8.25 | BFG KM2 33x10.50x15 | front winch bumper ...

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Chico, CA
    Posts
    29,703
    Chats
    1838

    Default Re: Jeep locking up in reverse

    Doubt it is brakes mate. They probably don't work that well when you want them to. Check that linkage first. Small theory here. Something shifts in reverse enough to cause it to try to engage into low range, but not all the way. Try disconnecting the linkage and then back up.
    230 hp 4.3L Chevy
    Built 4L60E with manual lockout
    Atlas 4 speed
    Griffin radiator
    On board air
    Warn 9.5ti on custom bumper
    7.5" RE front and bastard pack rear on custom long arms
    30 gal gas tank
    lockers
    And a bunch of other stuff

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    On my mountian NOR CAL
    Posts
    1,879
    Chats
    2954

    Default Re: Jeep locking up in reverse

    Wayne, I would do the following to isolate the issue
    1.disconnect the front driveline and test
    2.replace front and disconnect the rear and test
    3.disconnect all linkage(transfer case included) and manually put it in reverse and test, then reconnect the TC and test.
    This will isolate the area of issue,I saw this once before and it was the spider gears in the rear diff. binding and throwing the torque into the tc. The one we had was rear end but front would do the same.Bad bearings also could cause this.I dont think its in the case, but it could be , I thnk the pop in the case was just torque transfer. Do you still have 4wd going forward? have you tried to reverse in 4wd? same issue ? Hope this helps a little anyway. If you have a lift you could put it up in the air and run it backwards and listen for noises and look for binding.
    Aint got no whistle, don't belch out smoke, but my V10 aint no joke !!!

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    S.E. Texas
    Posts
    29,251
    Chats
    1247

    Default Re: Jeep locking up in reverse

    Quote Originally Posted by xj4life2 View Post
    Wayne, I would do the following to isolate the issue
    1.disconnect the front driveline and test
    2.replace front and disconnect the rear and test
    3.disconnect all linkage(transfer case included) and manually put it in reverse and test, then reconnect the TC and test.
    This will isolate the area of issue,I saw this once before and it was the spider gears in the rear diff. binding and throwing the torque into the tc. The one we had was rear end but front would do the same.Bad bearings also could cause this.I dont think its in the case, but it could be , I thnk the pop in the case was just torque transfer. Do you still have 4wd going forward? have you tried to reverse in 4wd? same issue ? Hope this helps a little anyway. If you have a lift you could put it up in the air and run it backwards and listen for noises and look for binding.
    Why would all tires lock/skid then? Since its in 2wd and if it was something in one of the diffs shouldn't the other diff be separated.
    Last edited by XJ Wheeler; 09-05-2012 at 12:52 PM.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    On my mountian NOR CAL
    Posts
    1,879
    Chats
    2954

    Default Re: Jeep locking up in reverse

    Quote Originally Posted by XJ Wheeler View Post
    Why would all tires lock/skid then? Since its in 2wd and if it was something in one of the diffs shouldn't the other diff be separated.
    They are all tied together by the drive shafts even if the front is not locked in the shaft still spins.If one psrt of the system is locked up or binding it would cause all to drag or skid . By removing the shafts one at a time and testing you can eliminate the frt and rear diff.
    Aint got no whistle, don't belch out smoke, but my V10 aint no joke !!!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. 98 xj reverse lights out
    By ricpope in forum OEM/Factory
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-29-2012, 01:54 PM
  2. Reverse Osmosis Water system (Not Jeep related)
    By 07Negative in forum Product Reviews
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-24-2012, 02:40 PM
  3. Free Shipping PLUS XJTalk Discount on Locking Hubs
    By RTPG in forum Vendors - For Sale
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-05-2012, 12:23 AM
  4. Want locking hubs on your XJ? - 4WheelingPlus.com
    By RTPG in forum Vendors - For Sale
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-29-2010, 11:21 PM
  5. Bad Vibrations in reverse...why?
    By Mr Clean in forum OEM/Factory
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-26-2010, 09:22 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •