Thread: Old XJ with a new problem

Default Old XJ with a new problem

The Jeep in question is a '92 with 4.0, manual trans and tilt column. A couple times over the last week when I have started up the old gal the radio presets are gone, like someone disconnected the battery. I didn't think much of it and figured it was just time for a new radio.

Today however, the little Jeep started up just fine. I went for a short drive, stopped to put some fuel in and when I got back in turned the key and nothing! No click, no fuel pump, no lights, nothing!! Tried the key a couple times with the same result. I popped the hood checked for loose battery connections and all was good. Jumped back in wiggled the key back and forth a few times and she fired right up.???

I am thinking it may be a bad key switch and it is losing contact with whatever it makes contact with periodically??

Don't know if it makes any difference or not but the key switch does seem worn and the key can be removed in the run position.

Anybody have any thoughts, possibly something a little deeper in the column?

Default Re: old xj with a new problem

I had a 1979 Grand Prix that did something similar. Eventually it wouldnt start unless I removed the negative cable and put it back on.

Do you have any corrosion on the battery terminals? If not follow the ground cable from the battery and see how the other end of that connection looks. On the Grand Prix the problem disappeared when I replaced the cables.

Default Re: Old xj with a new problem

Could also be your starter switch located on the column under the dash on the right side
    230 hp 4.3L Chevy
    Built 4L60E with manual lockout
    Atlas 4 speed
    Griffin radiator
    On board air
    Warn 9.5ti on custom bumper
    7.5" RE front and bastard pack rear on custom long arms
    30 gal gas tank
    lockers
    And a bunch of other stuff

Id check grounds first, then ignition switch.
    Quote Originally Posted by CherokeeCountry
    I can't cook though. Unless you count the few seconds where I allowed Dylan to saute...

Default Re: Old xj with a new problem

Thanks for the input guys. There was a little corrosion on the negative terminal. I cleaned that up and it seems to be working at the moment. I will check the starter switch next if it continues to act up.

Thanks again for the quick responses!

Default Re: Old XJ with a new problem

Well after a little more time with the Xj the problem seems to persist. I have not cleaned and check the battery cables and replaced the electrical portion of the ignition switch. I am still having the same intermittent problem. Some times it starts right up and sometimes there is no power. Yesterday it failed again so I started trying to chase voltage from the battery. Everything in the engine bay seemed good. I grabbed the large plug that goes into the firewall on the driver side just below the booster. It seemed to be somewhat loose. I was able to tighten it up slightly and have not had the problem the last time I have driven it. I guess only time will tell....

Thanks again to all for the help.