Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Chats

Default CB antenna mount

My brother in law got me a great deal on the new Cobra 29. Now I want to put the radio into the XJ. Im wondering if attaching the "mirror" mount to my roof rack is a good idea? I will have a spring on it just threw it together for the pic. I may also switch to a whip style antenna haven't decided yet.

Chats

Default Re: CB antenna mount

I am not a radio guy yet. But I understand that is a good location for signal. However, I think you might be asking for trouble on that roof rack. They aren't all that tough. I think if you snag something it will twist.
    230 hp 4.3L Chevy
    Built 4L60E with manual lockout
    Atlas 4 speed
    Griffin radiator
    On board air
    Warn 9.5ti on custom bumper
    7.5" RE front and bastard pack rear on custom long arms
    30 gal gas tank
    lockers
    And a bunch of other stuff

Chats

You can check it with an SWR meter, but since the roof rack isn't metal that means you shouldn't be getting a ground. Keep in mind that nearly all CB antennas that are made for mobile operation are only 1/2 the length they need to be. They use the "ground" of the vehicle to provide a electrical "mirror" of the other half. No ground no mirror.

You'd be better off with a mag mount and the antenna in the center of the roof.

Also many people put a bracket behind one of the tail lights that stick out to the side.

Chats

Forgot about the ground...
    Who makes that magnet mount you posted?

Chats

Quote Originally Posted by Joliet Johnny View Post
    Forgot about the ground...
    Who makes that magnet mount you posted?
    It was just a random image I found. Let me find you a link. Those are usually sold by Amateur radio supply places.

Check this one out. I don't know how well it holds, you might want to do a little searching and get other people's opinions before you buy one.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Tram-269-Triple-Magnet-Antenna/dp/B0060H0ZAM"]Amazon.com: Tram 269 Triple 5" Magnet CB Antenna Mount: Electronics@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41J3rW-XTBL.@@AMEPARAM@@41J3rW-XTBL[/ame]

Chats

I suppose I could buy 3 CB magnets and find some thick metal and make one. I had once considered the K40 magnet. I have had bad luck with magnets in the past but the link you provided seems like it may hold better.

Chats

I suppose I could buy 3 CB magnets and find some thick metal and make one. I had once considered the K40 magnet. I have had bad luck with magnets in the past but the link you provided seems like it may hold better.
    Really depends on the magnet. Of course the nice thing is that instead of breaking an antenna or pulling the mount out of the metal on your roof, the mag just falls over.

Check out some of the HAM stores, like aesham.com.

Chats

Last magnet mount I had fell off in high winds and broke the tip off my wire antenna. Wish I had a pic of how I mounted the new antenna on that Saturn SL2...
    I think I had it on there so solid that a bird may have been cut in half.

Chats

Not a fan of magnet mount antennas. Although they provide entertainment at a car wash !

I personally like the mounts that are typically used by the tail light. Not as likely to be snagged on anything that decides to reach out an touch you.
    mount : http://www.firestik.com/CatalogFrame.htm
    Antenna : http://www.firestik.com/CatalogFrame.htm

Quite a bit of info online about CB Antennas.

Chats

Those Firesticks are strong. I bought the one in the pic because my friend has one mounted through the roof on his Dodge 1500 and it took down some small branches without breaking. While thats not my goal its good to know.

Chats

I plan to mount mine in the center of the wiper cowl. I figure that with it being in the center of the vehicle and lower than the roof it should stay out of harm's way pretty good.

Chats

Quote Originally Posted by UpstateXJ View Post
    I plan to mount mine in the center of the wiper cowl. I figure that with it being in the center of the vehicle and lower than the roof it should stay out of harm's way pretty good.
    I thought about that but figured it would not be fun to run the wire to the CB. Im still playing with the idea of replacing the AM/FM antenna with CB antenna and putting one of those "shark fin" antennas like GM cars have on my roof. I will 1st try building a 3 magnet antenna like Tony posted. If it works I will make a how to and Im expecting it to be under 20 to make the base.

Chats

I thought about that but figured it would not be fun to run the wire to the CB. Im still playing with the idea of replacing the AM/FM antenna with CB antenna and putting one of those "shark fin" antennas like GM cars have on my roof. I will 1st try building a 3 magnet antenna like Tony posted. If it works I will make a how to and Im expecting it to be under 20 to make the base.
    the combo antennas were never very good for CBS mainly because of the circuitry needed to keep the RF out of the AM/FM radio.

Chats

No if I take that route I will have 2 antennas, CB on pass fender and AM/FM Satellite radio on roof. If that antenna works on a Cadillac it should work on an XJ.

Chats

No if I take that route I will have 2 antennas, CB on pass fender and AM/FM Satellite radio on roof. If that antenna works on a Cadillac it should work on an XJ.
    I don't know anything about the Satellite radio or antennas, so I didn't know it did the FM as well. It seems strange they would use it for AM as well, it requires a much bigger antenna.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast