Thread: Renix fan override

Default Renix fan override

hey guys,

im woundering if my renix fan wiring is the same as my 95 ho??? if so sweet if not could someone tell me how its diffrent.

thanks

Easy to do.
    Explanation tonight.
    ~ 8EST

Sent from my Milestone X using Tapatalk 2
    Quote Originally Posted by CherokeeCountry
    I can't cook though. Unless you count the few seconds where I allowed Dylan to saute...

Default Re: Renix fan override

Here ya go .......
    The Auxiliary fan is powered by the Coolant Fan Relay, which is controlled by the Radiator Temperature Switch mounted on the lower left side of the radiator, as well as the Air Conditioner if so equipped, plus the Defroster on A/C models. They all supply 12 volts to the Coolant Fan Relay, which turns on the fan.

Since electric motors have a very heavy initial current draw, it is not advisable to wire a switch directly to the fan. The best way to add a manual override is to wire a switch into the control circuit of the relay to turn the relay on. The easiest place to tap into the circuit is at the relay itself, which (on pre '91 models) is located on the inner driver's side fender, just in front of the washer fluid bottle. * (For '91 & newer see note below).

You can tap into your fuse box for a 12 volt source ** (you will have a choice of hot all the time, or ignition on, so you need to decide which you want to use), and run a wire from here to your switch. Then from your switch, you can run a wire to the Fan Relay. The Orange wire (pin 2) is the relay control wire (some models may be Yellow, but you won't have both), this is the one you want to tap into with the wire from your switch. There is enough slack here to easily use a press on wiretap, or a crimp on splice tap.

This will not affect the automatic functions of the fan in any way, but will allow you to turn it on manually.

(More specifics on tapping into the fuse box on request.)

* The fan circuit on later model XJs (after '91) is wired much differently than the early ones. The fan relay is energized by the ECU when the Coolant Temperature Sensor reaches the predetermined temperature. For these models it is necessary to install a relay with your manual switch to turn on the fan.

** I have wired mine hot all the time for two reasons:
    1) Under real hot conditions, I can leave it on if I am shutting the engine off for a short period to help keep things cool.
    2) It reminds me to turn it off (when hear it running after the engine is off). Otherwise, it would be on every time the engine was running, ...forever (not that it would hurt the engine, but it would wear the fan out prematurely), I won't forget it this way.
    Aint got no whistle, don't belch out smoke, but my V10 aint no joke !!!

I did mine the easy way, on both of my renix jeeps.
    If you still have the temp switch and just splice into the wires it will act just like OEM, turning on ~220. Flip the switch and the fan comes on also. The fan will only run when the key is turned on.

Look at the drivers side of your radiator, you will find this temperature switch with two wires coming out of it:

Follow the wires a couple inches back and use some push on wiretap connectors or whatever other means necessary to tap into both wires.
    Or, If you have a HO radiator like me and therefore no more temperature switch, just cut the weatherpack connector off of the switch and solder your wires on:

Wrap with heatshrink, tape, whatever, and run your wires into the cab, there should be a hole in the firewall big enough to run your wires.
    Wire up your switch and thats it.
    Keep in mind one of these wires is 12v, so follow precautions like wrapping it in something where it goes through the firewall, etc.
    Last edited by 89Laredo; 08-06-2012 at 06:58 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by CherokeeCountry
    I can't cook though. Unless you count the few seconds where I allowed Dylan to saute...

If you're talking about swapping an auxiliary fan from a renix into your '95, i believe they are the same. Just make sure they are both two wire connectors.

the fans are the same.... i used the fan before going to duels on my 95. i converted the 90 to the ho cooling style finished what the po started. the po cut the rad wires flush with the harness. my ? is can i put power or ground to the control side of the relay like i did my 95 ???