Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How do you open a hood?

Default Re: How do you open a hood?

I mean you need to be a safe cracker to get in to the ****ing Jeep Cherokee engine bay! Well at least from the top!

Anyway I knew from the start that I would find a way in but I wanted to start a thread since I didn't remember seeing it covered here already.

I did a search just before leaving work to see how other people had done it.

One person said that if you don't have the skid plate in the front it was fairly easy to reach up from under the Jeep and unlatch the lock.

I got under the Jeep and you can actually see the metal bracket that the cable runs to.

With my lift the length of my arm was a little short to reach the lock. I had to build a little thing to lay on that raised me up about 8 to 10 inches, then if I stretched I could get my hand around the rod that runs across the front of the hood. I still couldn't move it to unlatch the hood though.

Finally I just grabbed the cable and pulled it free from the bracket. Desperate, tired, sweaty and very dirty I just pulled on it in the same direction you'd pull from inside the cab, and CLICK the hood opened.

After opening the hood I tried to figure out what happened. It wasn't a broken cable everything was hooked up as normal.

Finally I figured it out. The cable that I removed from the bracket must have already been out of the bracket. It the outside covering of the cable is not locked into that bracket the handle inside will pull out a good 2 to 3 inches and just appear to be disconnected when what it's doing is moving the outter cover of the cable instead of the cable.

Boy what a pain in the ass! I am seriously considering removing all that crap and installing hood pins. This whole thing started this morning when I wanted to pop the hood and do a final check for fuel leaks after changing the number one injector last night.

I seriously considered not driving the 98 to work simply because it would be a very bad situation to have an engine fire and NO way to get to the fire because I couldn't open the hood!

Something to consider and this is not an issue on the TJ, why? Hood latches!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20120803_013920.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	1.91 MB 
ID:	307

Name:	20120803_013732.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	2.44 MB 
ID:	308

So you see here where the outside covering of the braided cable is in this bracket? If I remove it from the bracket the handle inside the cab does the exact same thing it was doing this morning, just lose.

Name:	20120803_013742.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	2.23 MB 
ID:	309

cantab27 is offline Level: Uber Jeep Cherokee Trailer Queen

result mate.........its the little things like that just makes em worth having...tis a jeep thing
    keeping it red........

I DRIVE A BARBIE JEEP

Quote Originally Posted by XJ4IV
    .... lol Im a jerk tonight!
    Originally Posted by bigjim350 View Post
    Think I would go that crazy too if my Jeep turned white

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGg0C...eature=related

LizardRunner is offline Level: Uber Jeep Cherokee Trailer Queen

Well, at least you now know a good way to keep folks from being able to steal your battery or other bits from under your hood.
    2004 4.7v8HO WJ OMG, it's RED , Green bits are now under the hood. Loving the F/R Lockers and D44's. RIP 2011 Lil Ric and Gordo. RIP 2012 Jessie RIP 2013 Kat. RIP 2013 Ed . Lizards can always climb but sometimes they loose their tails to get away. The true patriot will stand beside the soldier when the time comes to fight Now building Asnikiye heca (Buzzard's Roost) homestead farm. My road is my wheeling trail

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12